Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List of Airport Alternatives without Full Body Scanners

List of Airport Alternatives without Full Body Scanners

Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by essxjay
I see no such assumption underlying the list.

Re: Chicago area, what about Rockford?
RFD is such limited passenger service, as no major airline travels in/out, if you want to go to Vegas on Tues/Sat its a good deal!

MSN is about 2hours and 15min/2h30m from ORD with most traffic depending on the Kennedy, I know im moving some business to MSN from MKE.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:00 pm

How about flying out of Atlantic City (ACY) on Spirit (to various cities in FL) or on AirTran to Atlanta (and from there, all over the U.S.) According to the sticky list, ACY doesn't have NoS and isn't on the "coming soon" list, either.

ACY is about 90 min. from me (western suburbs of Philly) and is a breeze to fly out of.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by JennyElf
SNA is also an alternative to SAN, a little over a 90 minute drive north.
Duly noted and added. Appreciate the suggestion.

Originally Posted by davef139
RFD is such limited passenger service, as no major airline travels in/out, if you want to go to Vegas on Tues/Sat its a good deal!

MSN is about 2hours and 15min/2h30m from ORD with most traffic depending on the Kennedy, I know im moving some business to MSN from MKE.
Yikes! I didn't realize how limited this airport is. I've added a link to their flight calendar (yes, calendar, not schedule) and demoted it to the bottom of the list. Having studied the CHI alternatives, I've promoted MSN as the first alternative.

Originally Posted by RollerGirl
How about flying out of Atlantic City (ACY) on Spirit (to various cities in FL) or on AirTran to Atlanta (and from there, all over the U.S.) According to the sticky list, ACY doesn't have NoS and isn't on the "coming soon" list, either.

ACY is about 90 min. from me (western suburbs of Philly) and is a breeze to fly out of.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, RollerGirl, and thanks for finding this thread! I've added ACY in your honor. It's indeed a close alternative despite the limited number of flights.

Originally Posted by schwarm
I wouldn't recommend taking a more expensive alternative. As it is, the airlines are a potential ally in the struggle against invasive security. If people start taking more expensive flights to avoid said security, the interests of the airlines will no longer be aligned with those of travelers.
Absolutely. Come to it, they've already sold us down the river time and again.
That's a fair point, but in all honesty, I doubt that any added revenue from a few folks flying from more expensive, NoS free airports would be noticeable. Since my overriding goal is to protect vulnerable populations (children, attractive women, medically enhanced, etc.) from the scope & grope, I'm not taking a stand either way.

The real way to make an impact is to cut back on flying altogether, send letters to airlines/Congress/DHS, keep the media engaged, etc. Plenty of threads on this forum on how all of us can fight these machines.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 14, 2010 at 10:33 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:56 pm

Does CAE (Columbia, SC) have body scanners? I don't see them on our list and a quick google didn't turn up anything.

I would suggest adding CAE as another alternate for CLT. They are about 2 hours apart
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
A couple of suggestions: one revision and one addition.

Portland area (PDX):
- Portland (PDX) main terminal — no NoS
- Portland (PDX) biz terminal, frequent service on Seaport Air b/w BFI, PDT, AST, ONP — no TSA

Seattle area (SEA):
- Boeing Field (BFI), 10 mins. south of d/t Seattle, frequent service on Seaport Air b/w PDX — no TSA

Originally Posted by davef139
Thanks, I shudda checked RFD's website before posting. Guess UX pulled out a long time ago.

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm Reason: consecutive posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mersk862
Minneapolis/St. Paul area:
- Rochester (RST)

About a 80-90 minute drive from MSP; downside is service is limited to ORD (AA), DTW (DL) and MSP (DL) for about 10 daily flights all on 50-seat RJs.
Until pretty recently, they had DC-9 and A319/320 aircraft on NW/DL to MSP and DTW hubs. It's a nice modern airport, but their parking isn't cheap.

St Cloud airport at least used to have connecting flights to MSP on really small planes. I think it's about the same distance, but northwest of Minneapolis, with lots of raod construction on the way.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club
Originally Posted by gatelouse
Raleigh/Durham area (RDU):
- Greensboro/High Point (GSO)
- Fayetteville (FAY)
- Greenville, NC (PGV)
For RDU, I would personally suggest the following:

- Greensboro High Point (GSO) = 80 miles/1.5 hours (AA, DL, UA, US, CO, G4)
- Fayetteville (FAY) = 86 miles/1.5 hours (AA, DL, US)
- New Bern (EWN) = 130 miles/2.3 hours (DL, US)
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
An excellent point! I'll add transit directions to airports that have accessibility. I believe there's a short taxi ride required from Ronkonkoma station, right?
There is a shuttle run by Colonial Transport that leaves from the front of the LIRR Ronkonkoma train station to the ISP airport every time a train arrives from NYC. Also, there is a taxi stand behind the pizza place (to the left of the exit from the train), and the taxis pretty much honor the same $5 fee that Colonial charges to take you to the ISP airport (a 2-mile drive, about 5 minutes).

Does anyone know the NOS situation at ALB? I don't see it listed on either list.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 16, 2010 at 1:16 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
Does anyone know the NOS situation at ALB? I don't see it listed on either list.
No WBI as of last Wednesday when I flew out on the way home from Watervliet.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks to today's contributors!

A couple of suggestions: one revision and one addition.

Portland area (PDX):
- Portland (PDX) main terminal — no NoS
- Portland (PDX) biz terminal, frequent service on Seaport Air b/w BFI, PDT, AST, ONP — no TSA

Seattle area (SEA):
- Boeing Field (BFI), 10 mins. south of d/t Seattle, frequent service on Seaport Air b/w PDX — no TSA
Added, but I can't write "frequent" service to all listed destinations ex-PDX in good conscience. Certainly the PDX-BFI route is frequent.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
St Cloud airport at least used to have connecting flights to MSP on really small planes.
Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately STC has no commercial service at this time. Even Sun Country moved to MSP Humphrey terminal.

Originally Posted by ERJ170
For RDU, I would personally suggest the following:

- Greensboro High Point (GSO) = 80 miles/1.5 hours (AA, DL, UA, US, CO, G4)
- Fayetteville (FAY) = 86 miles/1.5 hours (AA, DL, US)
- New Bern (EWN) = 130 miles/2.3 hours (DL, US)
Thanks much! I've incorporated your information. GSO has enough service that I won't even bother listing airlines. It looks like a great alternative.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
There is a shuttle run by Colonial Transport that leaves from the front of the LIRR Ronkonkoma train station to the ISP airport every time a train arrives from NYC. Also, there is a taxi stand behind the pizza place (to the left of the exit from the train), and the taxis pretty much honor the same $5 fee that Colonial charges to take you to the ISP airport (a 2-mile drive, about 5 minutes).
Updated ISP with a link to Colonial's shuttle!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:38 pm

Many thanks to today's contributors!
What about mine

CAE as an alternate for CLT
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
AUS is NoS-free, at least by the AA checkpoint.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Regarding Tampa on the list, if Sarasota, FL (SRQ) hasn't installed the NOS , that could be an alternative to TPA being 45 minutes - 1 hour away. A much smaller airport with not much of a choice of airlines.

Regarding Las Vegas, St. George, Utah (SGU) is 2 hours away although they have very few flights other than regional jets to Salt Lake City for those willing to connect. Don't know if this small airport has the NOS either.

Has anyone been through either of these airports lately?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Chicago area (ORD, MDW):
- Madison, WI (MSN), 2-2.5 hr NW; hub service for AA, DL, UA, Midwest, Frontier
- South Bend, IN (SBN), 2-2.5 hrs east, South Shore rail line at airport; limited DL, CO, UA hub service
- Kalamazoo, MI (AZO), 3 hrs east; limited AA, DL, DirectAir only
- Bloomington-Normal (BMI), 2.5 hrs SW; limited AA, DL, AirTran hub service
- Moline (MLI), 3 hrs west; limited AirTran, Allegiant, AA, DL, UA
- Peoria (PIA), 3 hrs SW; limited AA, DL, UA, Allegiant hub service
- Rockford (RFD), 90 mins west; extremely limited service—no major carriers
- Amtrak national hub at Chicago Union Station
Feel free to add Champaign, IL (CMI) to the list. You can get to ORD or DFW flying AA from here.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gj83
What about mine

CAE as an alternate for CLT
You were one of yesterday's contributors, and so I accidentally missed you. Sorry about that...and thanks for the reminder! Looks like lots of flights out of CAE. I like it. How does it compare with the other CLT alternatives listed?

Okay, that's it for tonight! Back tomorrow to update the first post, starting with #43.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.