Wiki Posts
Search

New Security in ORD outside terminals?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
New Security in ORD outside terminals?

Coming in to ORD from the Blue Line this morning, there were about 3-4 TSA employees standing around watching the CTA exit area and another two sitting at the table to the left (as you look at it) of the entry to the nearest terminal. There were multiple signs indicating persons were in an area subject to screening. The two guys at the table had some small machine that was plugged into a nearby outlet. Unfortunately I didn't have time to slow down and get a better look.

Anyone know what the deal is? Are other airports experiencing added security measures, or is it just ORD in reaction to the packages (which as far as I know did not come in on the Blue Line!!!).
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
So much for the screening not starting until you hit the TDC
I bet they were swabbing hands.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:57 am

That's odd. Does the TSA even have authority to do checks that far from the checkpoint?

Were they definitely TSA, and not Chicago PD? The set up sounds similar to that used by Port Authority police when getting on the Path between New York and New Jersey. Although, it wouldn't make any sense for Chicago PD to do random bag checks when leaving the public transit system.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:28 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ellie M
That's odd. Does the TSA even have authority to do checks that far from the checkpoint?

Were they definitely TSA, and not Chicago PD? The set up sounds similar to that used by Port Authority police when getting on the Path between New York and New Jersey. Although, it wouldn't make any sense for Chicago PD to do random bag checks when leaving the public transit system.
They can so they will, cargo be damned.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Ari
They can so they will, cargo be damned.
Wow. So does TSA have jurisdiction because it's public transport (the el), or is that considered part of their duties at the airport, even though it's far from the terminal? Either way, that strikes me as real mission creep.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:59 am

There are forms of portable scanners as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8089959.stm
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Definitely TSA - CPD shirts aren't that ultrabright blue!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polkacat
Definitely TSA - CPD shirts aren't that ultrabright blue!
And CPD is needed elsewhere in the city more than at ORD.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ellie M
Wow. So does TSA have jurisdiction because it's public transport (the el), or is that considered part of their duties at the airport, even though it's far from the terminal? Either way, that strikes me as real mission creep.
Well, the "T" in TSA is for "Transportation".
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:05 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Well, the "T" in TSA is for "Transportation".
That's quite broad: commercial air travel, buses, automobiles, bicycles, walking, etc. Where does the TSA's supposed jurisdiction end?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by ralfp
That's quite broad: commercial air travel, buses, automobiles, bicycles, walking, etc. Where does the TSA's supposed jurisdiction end?
At the very least, as a federal agency, it should be limited in scope to interstate transportation. Municipal transit systems should be out of its scope.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
Eventually, I'm pretty sure, at your front door.

Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
"Sir, please step away from the escalator!"
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just tell them to go do unnatural things to their mothers and walk on by.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
At the very least, as a federal agency, it should be limited in scope to interstate transportation. Municipal transit systems should be out of its scope.
well if that's the case I should be able to walk to my gate without any screening to fly FLL-TPA. Ok, maybe not to that extreme but it shore would be nice to not deal with all the theater for the short hops!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.