Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Security in ORD outside terminals?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by jco613
well if that's the case I should be able to walk to my gate without any screening to fly FLL-TPA. Ok, maybe not to that extreme but it shore would be nice to not deal with all the theater for the short hops!
A case could be made for that if the airport served only destinations in Florida.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Chicago TSA and the Blue line O'Hare Terminal

Today (10 Nov) at about 11am as I exited the CTA Blue line stop at O'Hare and came up the stairs into the walkway I saw a 6-8 TSOs standing around as well. My first thought was ...?? Then I noticed two devices about the size of of small backyard telescopes set up on tripods that were pointed in the general direction of the stairs that I came up. There was some signage up but at that point I was on the other side of a walkway and really did not feel like walking in front of the device nor go all the way around and double back (not being an O'Hare regular I was not sure what the lines were going to like at that time of day). So I am not sure what the devices were but I am guessing some sort of MMW type of device that they were testing.

I would like to find out more as for the first time I was quite
bothered by what they were doing. While I do not expect privacy as what may be visible to the human eye while in public I do expect everything else to be. I am also very leery of any device being tested on the public.

Any one else traveling through O'Hare today??

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Nov 10, 2010 at 10:00 pm
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Was it similar to this?

TSA began testing these a few years back. I remember them being in DEN, and PHX..

Some info from Blogdad Bob...

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/04/see-spo-...creen-spo.html

How they can do this when you are not at the checkpoint,

I posted this in another ORD thread, but was this what you saw?

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Was it similar to this?

TSA began testing these a few years back. I remember them being in DEN, and PHX..

Some info from Blogdad Bob...

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/04/see-spo-...creen-spo.html

How they can do this when you are not at the checkpoint,

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 11, 2010 at 2:26 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:38 pm

Not quite, but close. A bit longer and the front was covered with something.

I might use my TSA contact in SLC to find out for me.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Just tell them to go do unnatural things to their mothers and walk on by.
"I did unnatural acts with your mother last night and she liked it!"

I know, very immature
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Not quite, but close. A bit longer and the front was covered with something.
I agree, it looks similar to what I saw at the table.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:32 pm

FWIW, this device is something new and supposably it measures body heat from people. I found this report from last summer:

http://vodpod.com/watch/2844531-tsa-...pite-concernts

I wonder if they caught anyone farting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp04J6Fzd6c
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:09 pm

You can see pictures of the thermal scanners at the Thermal Matrix site.

They also have a device that can pick people with fevers out of a crowd.

They claim not to invade privacy, but that's suspect on a bajillion levels. A prosthetic breast is going to block body heat, for example.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Big Brother is spending money on a device that can pick people with a fever out of a crowd?!?! And they're preparing to use this on the population with no warning at all?!

Un-freaking-believable.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
... Big Brother is spending money on a device that can pick people with a fever out of a crowd?!?! And they're preparing to use this on the population with no warning at all?! Un-freaking-believable.
If you think Travel has gotten freaky and unconstitutional, you should see (or recall) some of the proposals that came out during that last swing flu outbreak. It included quarantines that were thinly veiled arrest-and-incarceration w/o due process. So, the ability to detect fevers was key to public [health] safety.

In the human body, when the white cell count (which fight threats to the body) increase drastically above normal, we call it leukemia. I'm not sure we don't collectively have a form of societal leukemia right now.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:48 am

welcome to america
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Big Brother is spending money on a device that can pick people with a fever out of a crowd?!?! And they're preparing to use this on the population with no warning at all?!

Un-freaking-believable.
I used to be certified on this equipment used in an industrial environment. They are using it at racetracks to check horses for inflammation in their legs as they are walked out from the paddock. This indicates an unknown injury and the horses will be scratched from the race. Yes, the technology is that good. It can measure surface temperature to 1/10 of a degree F at a distance of several feet. There were reports that it was used during the various flu scares to screen for potential carriers, but as I remember most of them were of the tin-foil-hat variety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.