Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What if the TSO performing the enhanced patdown is gay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What if the TSO performing the enhanced patdown is gay?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
Valid concern. You would have to rely on the officer to be honest though and there is no way to tell. Though it is kinda like a doctor, there is no effect on them after a while.
You and the rest of the TSA are nothing like doctors.

Nothing.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by peachfront
Oh for the love of cryin' out loud! There are very few advantages to being a short female but I have to admit, as the aforementioned short female, I have often felt fortunate not to "get" this type of phobia. I've been patted down/searched by women who were pretty obviously "of an alternative lifestyle" and you know what? Didn't hurt a bit. Who cares. Is it really about the person searching you or is it about your ego? Get over yourself. The lesbian/gay person searching you is NOT interested in you, any more than your lesbian/gay med tech is interested in you. It's at work. They're wishing they were somewhere else with someone younger and better looking.
OK, just admit it. You're really a closet lesbian.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:31 pm

If you are a male and you don't want another man touching you, you could indicate so and they'll just get a female TSO to do the enhanced pat down.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
If you are a male and you don't want another man touching you, you could indicate so and they'll just get a female TSO to do the enhanced pat down.
You do not get this option.

Anyway, it is not who is doing the screening.

It is that it is being done.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

I am a male and have had pat down from male and female TSOs before. If you don't want a certain gender touching you, you can get the other one. You may have to insist upon it.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am a male and have had pat down from male and female TSOs before. If you don't want a certain gender touching you, you can get the other one. You may have to insist upon it.
Based on what I have seen, and the potential ramifications of selecting a random choice from among the available pool of possible candidates, I'll take my chances with the possible gay guys. Just me.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I see your conclusion, I just don't see how you reached your conclusion based on what you posted earlier in the same paragraph.
Because at a correctional facility, no discretion is given to how the screening gets done, just the it gets done.

I'm talking about the relevance of informed consent to physical contact regardless of the physical contact involving vaginal penetration or not. It generally matters when it comes to physical contact.

Just because something is government sanctioned doesn't really move me one way or another as government engages in all sorts of disgusting filth.
You're right about consent, it doesn't have to involve penetration to be against the law. Counter to your argument, though (as applied to airport security checkpoints), is the fact that by virtue of purchasing your airline ticket, you give explicit consent for TSA to potentially grab you in specific ways that would be illegal - had you not provided consent. Again, we're not talking about vaginal penetration here.

I am not moved either, but it is established policy and must be endured until such time that TSA changes their policy. Unfortunately for all of us, the only option is to not fly, and I'll bet even tanga has begrudgingly undergone the grope.

I'm sure there's less and less distinction between how prisoners are treated and how passengers are treated by the US government.
And this is the crux of the matter - that we're being pre-judged as criminals. Not that the person doing the screening is man, woman, homosexual, transgender, sheep, broom, etc...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tkey75
You're right about consent, it doesn't have to involve penetration to be against the law. Counter to your argument, though (as applied to airport security checkpoints), is the fact that by virtue of purchasing your airline ticket, you give explicit consent for TSA to potentially grab you in specific ways that would be illegal - had you not provided consent. Again, we're not talking about vaginal penetration here.
Which airlines' contracts with buyers of the tickets states that the buyer of the ticket is giving explicit consent for the passengers to have their sexual organs touched by the TSA? I recall no such explicit consent in any of the contracts I've checked out.

Again, we're talking about informed consent as involves any physical contact with sexual organs, and that includes vaginal penetration.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Which airlines' contracts with buyers of the tickets states that the buyer of the ticket is giving explicit consent for the passengers to have their sexual organs touched by the TSA? I recall no such explicit consent in any of the contracts I've checked out.

Again, we're talking about informed consent as involves any physical contact with sexual organs, and that includes vaginal penetration.
You know the answer, you just don't like it. For fun, I'll play along...

Every airline's CoC explicitly states that you will not be carried if you don't comply with the screening process.

The TSA explicitly states what the screening process is.

I'm not bothering with quotes because you know full well what they are. I'm sorry you don't like it. Neither do I, but for now it's what we have to deal with at the checkpoint. All we can do is work together to change the system.

I'm not arguing further the vaginal penetration point. It's ridiculous and immaterial. If you believe it is not, again provide any instance where vaginal penetration has happened at a checkpoint, or where any airline or TSO states intravaginal searches are mandatory. Better yet, let's drop that topic with the agreement that it's not TSA SOP and would be illegal.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on what I have seen, and the potential ramifications of selecting a random choice from among the available pool of possible candidates, I'll take my chances with the possible gay guys. Just me.
Maybe they should put a number on each TSA screener who does pat downs and let the vict.., em passenger pick the one that looks most pleasing.

Have em all line up and pick the one who seems most likely to make your day complete.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:13 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Bolding mine: Maybe/maybe not-if true as reported here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-pat-down.html
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Touched on this a bit in a thread last year
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...a-agent-3.html

As I implied then, for the lowest risk of incidents, patdowns should be assigned to older female TSA agents. Not that that would be practical as the TSA is currently staffed.

I think the anxiety surrounding the gender of the person performing the patdown has more to do with concern that a security agent will take advantage of the situation and touch a passenger inappropriately than it has to do with whether the passenger might be aroused by the agent.

Sure, we'd all like to think that all of the security staff are professionals and none of them would ever touch a passenger inappropriately. But we'd also like to think the same of doctors and other medical personnel, not to mention clergy. With the huge numbers of patdowns that are now being ordered, it's highly likely that there will be some unpleasant incidents; hopefully these will be rare.

My sense is that in settings outside the airport (eg medical offices, hospitals) older (55+) women are probably the least likely demographic to be accused of inappropriate touching of males or females in their work. Given that, there would probably be the least number of incidents if the vast majority of patdown screeners were older women. Of course, that doesn't help a lot right now since the vast majority of airport screening staff tend to be pretty young.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Maybe they should put a number on each TSA screener who does pat downs and let the vict.., em passenger pick the one that looks most pleasing.

Have em all line up and pick the one who seems most likely to make your day complete.
I believe they call that a "line-up" at certain establishments in certain Nevada counties! @:-)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:00 am

TSA screener would seem to be the dream job for a homosexual sex offender : you can grope people all day long right in front of police officers who will arrest you if you complain.

I have nothing against homosexuals, but I do have a problem with sex offenders of all persuasions.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

You know the answer, you just don't like it.
That's just not it.

Every airline's CoC explicitly states that you will not be carried if you don't comply with the screening process.

The TSA explicitly states what the screening process is.

I'm not bothering with quotes because you know full well what they are. I'm sorry you don't like it. Neither do I, but for now it's what we have to deal with at the checkpoint. All we can do is work together to change the system.

I'm not arguing further the vaginal penetration point. It's ridiculous and immaterial. If you believe it is not, again provide any instance where vaginal penetration has happened at a checkpoint, or where any airline or TSO states intravaginal searches are mandatory. Better yet, let's drop that topic with the agreement that it's not TSA SOP and would be illegal.
So if vaginal penetration of passengers were part of TSA SOP, it wouldn't be illegal?

1. The TSA doesn't explicitly state what the screening process is - consider the likes of the TSA hiding SOPs behind "SSI".

2. If any airlines' contract with buyers of tickets explicitly states what the screening process is, those explicit details surely haven't been provided in this thread (if they even exist).

3. Also, buyers of tickets may give away their own rights, but they cannot generally do so for other competent adults who are ticketed passengers.

4. Granting informed consent is rather difficult for the majority of persons to provide in such circumstances, particularly as the TSA isn't explicit about all the details of the screening process; and if the airlines' contracts are more explicit about the screening process than the the TSA, that surely hasn't been made available to all buyers of tickets and/or passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.