Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

HKG - Water purchased in sterile area confiscated at gate!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - Water purchased in sterile area confiscated at gate!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by swingaling
The reason you can't bring bottled water on the plane is due to TSA's 3-1-1 rule, but this is not unique to US-bound flights. In all US airports (and some non-US airports), you can often circumvent this by purchasing drinks airside after security screening. But this only works if they actually sell water after security screening.

So, on US-bound flights from HKG there is a secondary security screening at the gate. The 3-1-1 rule applies at this screening, as it does at all security screening checkpoints. However, they do not sell bottled water at the gate so there's no way around this.

This is not unique to HKG or to US-bound flights. At SIN, for example, they do security screening at the gate for all flights. So, when traveling from SIN, you will not be allowed to bring any bottled water on the plane. You can bring an empty bottle through security at SIN and fill it in the gate waiting area (they have water bottle filling stations at the gate).

No it's not random and it does not affect all US-bound flights. US-bound flights leaving NRT are not subject to a secondary security screening at the gate, so anything you buy airside at NRT can be brought on the plane.
Thanks, I remember flying NRT-IAH and never had 2nd security screening.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by studioboss
Just for the record, I was on the last United Hong Kong to Singapore flight on Friday night, took some Ice-Cream from the Thai Lounge (The Lounge Staff knew as I have asked for permission before) as those which were 110ml were rejected. Seems pretty consistent on any of those flights requiring extra scrutiny. (Flights to the US and US carriers) BTW No duty free bottles for such flights can be purchased.
Not even in one of those (not sure if HKG has them) sealed security bags? I'm just wondering how HKG Duty Free handles it? Do they tell you while you get to checkout that based on your BP you can't have liquids?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Not even in one of those (not sure if HKG has them) sealed security bags? I'm just wondering how HKG Duty Free handles it? Do they tell you while you get to checkout that based on your BP you can't have liquids?
A number of years ago I transited HKG back to the US and bought water at duty free and had it in a sealed bag and it was taken. My water was confiscated last month at HKG flying to SIN.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Gig103
HKG has those bags provided, provided that your destination is not Aus or U.S. (forgot whether NZ is included or not).

The secondary check has been a while for U.S. bound flights, at least for CX and AA.

Originally Posted by manneca
A number of years ago I transited HKG back to the US and bought water at duty free and had it in a sealed bag and it was taken. My water was confiscated last month at HKG flying to SIN.
Also flew HKG to SIN last month and no words on water/DF purchases. Mine was on CX.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
HKG has those bags provided, provided that your destination is not Aus or U.S. (forgot whether NZ is included or not).

The secondary check has been a while for U.S. bound flights, at least for CX and AA.

Also flew HKG to SIN last month and no words on water/DF purchases. Mine was on CX.
On this same trip, I flew HKG-AKL, and we did not have the secondary jetway security screening that I experienced on my HKG-LAX flight. I don't know if they're inconsistent in their application, or if New Zealand doesn't have the liquid ban that USA and AUS flights seem to.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jeffeverde
On this same trip, I flew HKG-AKL, and we did not have the secondary jetway security screening that I experienced on my HKG-LAX flight. I don't know if they're inconsistent in their application, or if New Zealand doesn't have the liquid ban that USA and AUS flights seem to.
Secondary check is something different from water limit afaik. US bound is always required, but not sure about AUS or NZ.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The secondary gate check is only for flights to Australia and the USA. And even then, only from selected airports. All liquids exceeding 100ml and not in a 3-1-1 bag will be confiscated. Similar checks apply at BKK, SIN etc. Many unhappy pax with duty free on my last flight ex BKK.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:18 pm

Sorry to bump this slightly old thread but I was re-thinking this whole issue a bit more. There's a lot of answers here but I think a lot are not even all that correct. The 3-1-1 issue doesn't seem to be relevant at all because at practically every US airport, they sell water or drinks in the sterile area where you can bring onboard the plane (not to mention fill up your water bottle).

I suspect the real issue is the TSA and HKG authorities evaluated the main screening checkpoints and they were found to be deficient for US-bound flights. As a result either HKG had to upgrade their security (and make it more of a PITA for all passengers) or have US-focused security where they have enhanced screening. The same seems to happen at TPE where US-bound flights have gate-side extra screening/searches.

IIRC they used to do something like this at PVG years back but I haven't encountered it for a long time. It's probably because Chinese security is pretty invasive (I get the most thorough patdowns that put the TSA to shame at airport security).

Bottom line is for US-bound flights you need to meet some level of security screening standards the TSA has prescribed. Either it's applied across the board for the entire airport, or they must at least make sure the US flights are subject to that. It's just unfortunate it means you can't bring ANY water onboard. That's annoying if you're flying in Y where having a pre-filled bottle would be nice for a 12-15 hr flight.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Flew to Australia recently from HKG. i had not made a trip down since Christmas. Was surprised that there was no LAG check at the jet bridge. A few other people in Australia who had flown from Hong Kong recently also confirmed they were not screened either. Has the LAG check been abandoned? Can we bring water and duty free on board now?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Would be good if they have abandoned it. What a bunch of useless security theater.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:16 pm

Absolutely! For a long time I was flying to Australia very frequently and almost every time some poor soul had to abandon their duty free, sold by someone who either didn't ask or didn't warn.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Last time out of PEK (early August) they were not performing the liquid screening of everyone. They may have been doing random pull-asides, but I boarded quite early so didn't see any.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
No liquid screening on Sep5. HX to SFO.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:42 am

The old duty free company must be seething!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.