Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

HKG - Water purchased in sterile area confiscated at gate!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - Water purchased in sterile area confiscated at gate!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mrscherry2000
They warned me in AMS that I would have to consume my liter of water before boarding the plane...
It's been this way at AMS for a long time (at least a year)... the whole shopping / walkabout area is sort of semi-sterile, as you go through more stringent screening at the gate. Drink up while you're in line waiting for your interview.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.
Originally Posted by jbdk
I never have been able to get a bottle of water from a FA. All they have are big bottles and wont sell them. Since most of my flying is between LAX and DFW, I go through a 20oz bottle of water on each flight

You should drink about 8oz per hour while flying since you get dehydrated while flying. Of course, if we all did that, there would be long lines for the lavatory.
I've never had a problem getting either a bottle or a glass of water from FA while boarding.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
IME, at most foreign stations, the liquids rule has been interpreted to mean that NO liquids over 100mL, regardless of where purchased, are allowed onto the aircraft. I like to drink a lot of water on long haul flights in order to stay hydrated. My suggestion is to be sure to fly in a premium cabin on those long flights, where you usually receive a personal bottle of water on board. Or just keep asking for refills of your glasses of water. Dehydration is a serious health risk, especially for road warriors like many of us are.

Also, many overseas airports are very worried about the potential of losing direct service to/from North America because of the economic connections they facilitate. No airport manager wants his airport to be the place that lets the next liquids bomber on board a plane. So, he might choose to interpret the rules a bit more strictly in order to ensure that flights continue to operate to the United States, instead of being yanked for security concerns. Whatever. It's their country and their airport.

In other cases, like DEL, TLV, and some northern South American countries, the security risks are so significant that the U.S. carriers themselves demand enhanced security procedures to be carried out by local personnel, working for either the airport authority or the airlines. No airline executive wants to be the guy who sent his airplanes to a high-risk part of the world and got them involved in some unpleasant happenings.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
IME, at most foreign stations, the liquids rule has been interpreted to mean that NO liquids over 100mL, regardless of where purchased, are allowed onto the aircraft. .
For US (not Canadian) bound flights perhaps, but even then I have never had the water restrictions on flights from FRA or LHR to the US.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I had such a problem at SIN where none of the stores in the transit area sold bottled water which one would be able to take through the checkpoints. There were water fountains, but not bottles, in the gate lounge (immediately after the screening area).
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by jbdk
I never have been able to get a bottle of water from a FA. All they have are big bottles and wont sell them. Since most of my flying is between LAX and DFW, I go through a 20oz bottle of water on each flight

You should drink about 8oz per hour while flying since you get dehydrated while flying. Of course, if we all did that, there would be long lines for the lavatory.
but then looks what happens to you...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...passenger.html
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
My solution is to slip the liquids in my pockets. They do not search your person, only your bags.
This used to work in MEX as well - until this past week, when EVERY single pax on the flight I was on was padded down...
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
This used to work in MEX as well - until this past week, when EVERY single pax on the flight I was on was padded down...
What did they use for padding?

Most Asian stations do this as the terminal itself is not a secure area and the rule applies to non itra-Asian flights which means no water on flights to Europe, North America, Oceania and South America.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This seems to be SOP in Mexico though thankfully not at FRA. Fortunately the Mexican TSA is pretty lame so I simply put the bottle in my back pocket and bypassed the guy frisking everyone after completing the carry-on search.

Most of the Euros don't subscribe to TSA nonsense, in fact I think they are even offended by it but only go along because the USG blusters them into it. For example there is no mandatory shoe removal at FRA. Will be travelling to Australia next week and will be interesting to see if they concur. Last time I visited they just laughed when I asked about shoes off, etc. and agreed that it was a lot of nonsense.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
What did they use for padding?
Suspect it was a typo for "patted down".
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Jet Bridge carry on inspections at HKG

I was boarding UA869 from HKG to SGN and there were 6 teams performing carry on inspections. Not spot checks, it appeared that 100% were being examined.

Water was being confiscated.

I know these inspections happen when you are returning to the US. This is the first I have seen this on an inter-asia flight.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:22 pm

Did you think that the US had a monopoly on idiots running the security show?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Experienced this on a HKG-SYD late last year. It was the end of the Hajj and there were a significant number of (people who appeared to be) Muslims on the flight. They were - almost without exception - having their carry-ons comprehensively unpacked and searched in the jetway. To their credit, the ones we saw were being very patient about it.

RadioBloke and I OTOH are as white Anglo-Saxon as they come. Without even waving me to a table or having me take the bag off my shoulder, I was asked to unzip one (of 5 or 6) compartments on my computer bag; I got the zipper about 3" open and the guard said "That's fine" and waved me on. RadioBloke didn't even break stride as he unzipped one section of his backpack by about an inch before they lost interest in him.

No, the US security industry has no monopoly on stupidity, although they have raised it to an artform.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:24 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I know these inspections happen when you are returning to the US. This is the first I have seen this on an inter-asia flight.
It is a requirement for flights to the USA, but also all flights on US-flag carriers irrespective of destination; that's why they were doing it.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Ari
It is a requirement for flights to the USA, but also all flights on US-flag carriers irrespective of destination; that's why they were doing it.
Yep, it's because it was UA. Normally wouldn't occur if you were flying the segment on an Asian carrier. They are probably being extra cautious because of the 9/11 anniversary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.