Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

HKG - Water purchased in sterile area confiscated at gate!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - Water purchased in sterile area confiscated at gate!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Same thing happened last November when flying from Nairobi to Zurich, although no reason was given for confiscating liquids. I had brought a bottle of water from the first-class lounge, so I wasn't out any money. But the lady behind me who had just purchased a bottle was really mad.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: DL UA
They warned me in AMS that I would have to consume my liter of water before boarding the plane but, if I remember correctly, the shops are not in the sterile area since you don't go through security until you get to the gate.

It's frustrating to try to stay hydrated on these long haul flights when all the FAs bring you is a 4 oz serving of water at a time (at least in coach!).
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've had water confiscated at ICN and was told at a kiosk in BKK that I would not be allowed to take water purchased there on the plane. There is a trick at AMS (or was the last time I was there). Go to a duty free shop and buy water and ask them to seal it. Then you can drink it on board. Even empty water bottles get confiscated at BON.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Last year, they confiscated liquids in Curacao. They did not check carry-ons though, so I just slipped my water in my carry on and boarded the plane. Although their website states you can bring liquids on board

http://www.curacao-airport.com/airportsecurity.html

This year, coming back from Cabo, they checked carry-ons and confiscated all liquids. I purchased water from the sterile area and told them I had a kidney infection and needed a lot of water. The security thought about it and let me by with the bottle of water... YMMV.

Funny story in Cabo, the person in front of the line bought two bottles of wine at the airport, but not duty free (not in a sealed bag). They told him he could not bring it on board. He argued with security. Finally, he grabbed it out of the security guard's hand and threw it on the floor. He said (this is quote), "If you dirty mexicans want my wine, you are going to have to clean it up off the ground."

Needless to say, he did not win the fight. Three security guards threw him on the ground, cuffed him, and dragged him off. I did not see him on the flight.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Add ICN and NRT to the list of madness.

And this was beverages given to me for free at my airline's club. Whole coolers of 'em - self serve - all potential explosives.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.
Thankfully, usually it's pretty easy to get a bottle of H2O from a FA on board.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:17 pm

This is one of the things that drives me crazy. I need to have water on hand pretty much all the time, especially when flying. I make sure I carry a collapsable container the FA can fill for me if I'm not allowed to carry it on.

Stupid, stupid rule.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Gold
The rule can't be enforced from all countries. You can buy whatever you like at Duty Free in Canada and board your flight to the US.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by JimYUL
The rule can't be enforced from all countries. You can buy whatever you like at Duty Free in Canada and board your flight to the US.
It isn't, nor is it for all flights, just US bound flights from certain countries.

From HKG airport website
Can passengers bring liquid items purchased at HKIA onto their departing flight?

Yes, passengers can take liquid items purchased at shops, located beyond the security screening check points, at HKIA onto their departing flight. However, if such passengers have to transfer to another flight at the next port of call, they should check with their airlines on the requirements for carriage of liquid purchases.
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/p...q.html#new_q21
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.
I was flying from KRR to VIE in May. 5 am flight. Airport is just waking up. I completely forgot about a 2 liter bottle of water in my backpack.
"What's in the bottle?" asked the security lady, barely opening her eyes (equivalent of TSA in Russia).
"Water" I said..
"Go ahead"...

Wow! Didn't even look at the bottle! I understand that it was NOT a US bound flight, but still, I was quite shocked!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by buzz4fly
Thankfully, usually it's pretty easy to get a bottle of H2O from a FA on board.
I never have been able to get a bottle of water from a FA. All they have are big bottles and wont sell them. Since most of my flying is between LAX and DFW, I go through a 20oz bottle of water on each flight

You should drink about 8oz per hour while flying since you get dehydrated while flying. Of course, if we all did that, there would be long lines for the lavatory.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jbdk
I never have been able to get a bottle of water from a FA. All they have are big bottles and wont sell them. Since most of my flying is between LAX and DFW, I go through a 20oz bottle of water on each flight

You should drink about 8oz per hour while flying since you get dehydrated while flying. Of course, if we all did that, there would be long lines for the lavatory.
At least on UA, I find that if you spend some time talking to the FAs, they are pretty friends and willing to give you a bottle. On DEN-SFO in September, a friend and I spent about 45 minutes chatting to the FAs in the back galley of our 767. During the time we spent with them, they kept giving us refills on water. Right as we were heading back to our seats, they each gave us a huge bottle..
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
They also do gate checks on PEK-ORD flights and lost a bottle of water I picked up from the CX lounge.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by mrscherry2000
They warned me in AMS that I would have to consume my liter of water before boarding the plane but, if I remember correctly, the shops are not in the sterile area since you don't go through security until you get to the gate.

It's frustrating to try to stay hydrated on these long haul flights when all the FAs bring you is a 4 oz serving of water at a time (at least in coach!).
The shops in the passenger-only area at AMS will, if you ask, seal a water bottle that you purchase there in a tamper-proof bag, allowing it to be taken through the security checkpoint.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Time traveller
They also do gate checks on PEK-ORD flights and lost a bottle of water I picked up from the CX lounge.
And PEK-IAD.

I always took it to be a nose-thumb at TSA's requirements, ie tit for tat, but I can see the point about security not screening for liquids initially. Well, except for the fact that they do screen for liquids at PEK. I lost a bottle (1 oz) of purell on that screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.