Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Business Liability w/new TSA Screening Procedures

Business Liability w/new TSA Screening Procedures

Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by rzsionak
The state issue will vary state to state as to how they interpret the situation and set precedence. e.g. CA and HI are very employee friendly and would put a lot of burden on employer to justify termination of an employee for unwillingness to fly under the current situation.
Would a pilot be allowed to keep his job if he refused to go through TSA checkposts? How about an FA?

If not, why should a tech rep whose job requires long distance travel be allowed to keep his job when he refuses to fly? Or a salesman with a wide spread territory?

How about the Vice President for International Marketing? Can he refuse to get on the plane to Paris or Rome?

I could see where a secretary who is never required to go anywhere, and is suddenly told that she has to make a 2000 mile trip, getting away with refusing but not someone whose job entails travel.

Keep in mind that it is not the employer who is demanding these screenings but rather the government. If the courts ever decide that the screenings are illegal sexual harrassment, they will be stopped. If the courts do not hold that, then it would be difficult for an employee to make the claim.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
... how does calling an employee thats just following what they've been directed to do, a pervert, acomplish anything??
Perhaps those perverts will do the honorable thing and stand up for what is right. If they were told to shoot every third passenger they would object. They are being told to invade the privacy of every Nth passenger. They should recognize it is wrong and refuse. In my opinion, those TSA officers that are not personally humiliated at having to grope someone ARE perverts!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DoingHomework
Perhaps those perverts will do the honorable thing and stand up for what is right. If they were told to shoot every third passenger they would object. They are being told to invade the privacy of every Nth passenger. They should recognize it is wrong and refuse. In my opinion, those TSA officers that are not personally humiliated at having to grope someone ARE perverts!
I would suggest that if they were told to shoot every third passenger that there would be volunteers that would do it, if it was to keep us safe.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by neko
But sexual harassment isn't an accident. If an employee makes a substantiated complaint of sexual harassment, the employer is required to address it.
"Address it", sure, nobody's claimed otherwise. But "address it" doesn't mean "be able to do anything about it". The accident analogy is relevant because both are out of control of the employer: accidents happen despite an employer's best efforts and the employer has no control over TSA screening procedure. There's no way that the law can require somebody to do something that's impossible: a job that requires air travel usually can't be changed into one that doesn't (as I said, given the cost of air travel, if that were practical, the employer would already have done it) and there's nothing the employer can do to prevent the complained-about behavior.

We're going around in circles on this, but you can't get around the fact that the law can't require somebody to do something that they can't do.

There is also an EEOC issue related to 'disparate impact', that is, a nominally gender-neutral employment policy that in practice affects men and women unequally. If female employees are disproportionately likely to report sexual harassment in connection with employer-required travel* and are thus disproportionately fired or otherwise professionally penalized for refusing to travel, then the employer may be at risk of violating not only anti-harassment, but also anti-discrimination rules.
I think it's really pushing it to call requiring travel an "employment policy", whether the impact is disproportionate across genders or not.

Originally Posted by Dovster
If the courts ever decide that the screenings are illegal sexual harrassment, they will be stopped. If the courts do not hold that, then it would be difficult for an employee to make the claim.
I think that's the best way to put it. If a court should hold that the screenings are sexual harrassment, then they'd order them stopped. The question of whether individual employers should have somehow taken some action to have them stopped is then moot. And if the court should rule that they are not sexual harassment, then employers can't be held liable. Either way, I don't see how this can be made an employer/employee issue.

Originally Posted by amps
Should you as an employee have a discussion about this with your employer up front?
If you, as an employee, have a problem with anything your employer asks you to do, I think it's reasonable to have a discussion with your employer about it. How far you want to push it depends on how strongly you have a problem and what your alternate employment options might be.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 16, 2010 at 1:07 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:22 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I think it's really pushing it to call requiring travel an "employment policy", whether the impact is disproportionate across genders or not.
Really? The case of salespeople, as you described below, would seem to be an example of an "employment policy" (although you did not use those exact words).

The hardest case of business travel are salespeople. There's just no good alternative to "pressing the flesh" when trying to make a sale, especially in a business-to-business context. You can have as many webinars, email presentations, and teleconferences as you want, but many deals just aren't going to close unless there's personal contact. Sure, a salesperson can use trains or drive for some visits, but again, that would already have been done (to save costs) if it were practical.
We're going around in circles on this, but you can't get around the fact that the law can't require somebody to do something that they can't do.
Why not? Is there some fundamental right that a business may not be subject to laws that it cannot follow? I'm not saying that it's right or wrong to have such laws, but I would imagine that many companies have gone out of business because of laws that they cannot follow (e.g. following the law would drive them to bankruptcy).

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This sounds like a career-ending move to me.
I was under the impression that filing a grievance/complaint regarding sexual harassment, etc. was something that is protected by law (firing someone for making such a complaint would be illegal retaliation). Am I mistaken? Of course, in reality, an employer could always find some other "reason" to terminate an employee.

Yes, the post you quoted was by a UK-based employee; the UK may have different laws regarding this kind of thing.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfp
I was under the impression that filing a grievance/complaint regarding sexual harassment, etc. was something that is protected by law (firing someone for making such a complaint would be illegal retaliation). Am I mistaken? Of course, in reality, an employer could always find some other "reason" to terminate an employee.

Yes, the post you quoted was by a UK-based employee; the UK may have different laws regarding this kind of thing.
The thing is he's planning to take a job knowing he's setting himself up for what he considers sexual harassment and then plans a gripe about it.

What employer would want someone who would pull something like that?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:06 am

Some thoughts...

Originally Posted by rzsionak
I work for a small company and manage a large program with numerous employees, some of whom have to travel for work. My concern is that since employees are on the clock while travelling and the patdowns could be a tramatic experience, our company may be liable or have to make accomodations to correct the hostile work environment. To me this is no different than having an employee working at a client site where harassment is going on. If we don't correct the situation, we can be sued.
A few thoughts here:

- I live in Tallahassee, where _the_ major employer is the State of Florida and its spin-offs. For employees based in Tallahassee, work travel as far as Orlando is done by mile reimbursement or rental car. South of Orlando, it's by commercial airline--state-owned aircraft for time-critical emergencies only. My wife just got sent to PBI, and got away with just the WTMD.

I once met some people working for a company with about 30 employees. They actually used Greyhound for business travel. And to that, I say: why not? I've used it before, and it's not the "bus full of smelly obese ex-cons" depicted by Hollywood, and one might joke that bus carriers probably love the direction the TSA is going. The Tallahassee Greyhound terminal is in not only downtown, but within 100 yards of a Hertz location.

Oh, and we have two other regional bus carriers here (RedCoach and TMT), and RedCoach uses wide business-class seats (2-1 configuration instead of 2-2).

- Just as a humorous offshoot to hostile work environment, a former coworker of mine once went through training to be a cable TV installer. Actual rule: if their work requires entering the customer's house and the customer is not dressed appropriately, they are to refuse to enter the house.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:57 am

Why not? Is there some fundamental right that a business may not be subject to laws that it cannot follow? I'm not saying that it's right or wrong to have such laws, but I would imagine that many companies have gone out of business because of laws that they cannot follow (e.g. following the law would drive them to bankruptcy).
I'm not sure I'd call it a "right", just a basic principle of law. How can you force somebody to do something that they can't do?

I don't think that was the point. The point isn't in the filing of a complaint. If you have a job that requires travel and you say "I no longer feel able to travel", you have a real risk of losing your jon and it's not because of the complaint but because you are refusing to do a required part of that job.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The thing is he's planning to take a job knowing he's setting himself up for what he considers sexual harassment and then plans a gripe about it.

What employer would want someone who would pull something like that?
No sensible employer, that's for sure.

However, from a legal standpoint, does the preexisting & ongoing nature of the activity considered to be sexual harassment by the potential (and perhaps future) employee excuse anything?

For example, let's say one applies for a job as a salesperson at a company known to send its salespeople to interact with several clients that grope salespeople and engage in other sexually hostile activities. Let's say that no current employees have filed any complaint about the activity, and that one knows about both the conditions and lack of complaints before applying for the job and then gets the job. Do those facts protect the employer in any way once the new employee makes a complaint about the sexually hostile work environment?

The questions above are not rhetorical, though I suspect that the answer to both questions is "no" (I am not saying that a complaint about the NoS & grope would be upheld).

I'm not sure I'd call it a "right", just a basic principle of law. How can you force somebody to do something that they can't do?
Sure, laws more powerful than those of any government preclude forcing someone to do something that they cannot do. However, AFAIK, one can be forced to pay for failing to do something that one cannot do. A business can be fined for failure to follow regulations with which it cannot comply. Businesses, unlike people, can be de facto forced to go bankrupt.

Let's say I run a consistently profitable company with $20 million total assets that gets all $10million of its annual revenue from activity X. A new regulation requires that anyone engaging in activity X buy equipment or otherwise incur costs of $1billion. What can I do?

I don't think that was the point. The point isn't in the filing of a complaint. If you have a job that requires travel and you say "I no longer feel able to travel", you have a real risk of losing your jon and it's not because of the complaint but because you are refusing to do a required part of that job.
The post in question:

Originally Posted by stifle
I'm taking up a role with a London-based company in a few weeks and fully intend to file a harassment grievance the very moment I am required to go through a NoS on a business trip.
I would imagine that the employee would have to at least begin one trip and be exposed to the activity in question (n.b. IANAL); if the employee just refuses to travel from the get go then he/she is hosed. Could one file a grievance simply based on knowledge of the checkpoint procedures?

What happens if the employer gets a complaint immediately after the employee's first trip through a checkpoint and then continues to require that the employee expose him/herself to the sexually hostile work environment (travel) before the complaint is investigated and investigations are concluded? Does this expose the employer to potential liability?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
For example, let's say one applies for a job as a salesperson at a company known to send its salespeople to interact with several clients that grope salespeople and engage in other sexually hostile activities. Let's say that no current employees have filed any complaint about the activity, and that one knows about both the conditions and lack of complaints before applying for the job and then gets the job. Do those facts protect the employer in any way once the new employee makes a complaint about the sexually hostile work environment?
In my very unschooled legal opinion, that salesperson would be in the same position as a hooker.

If a woman takes a job (in a jurisdiction where it is legal) as a prostitute she is in no position to claim that she is being sexually harrassed because clients want to have sex with her.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
In my very unschooled legal opinion, that salesperson would be in the same position as a hooker.

If a woman takes a job (in a jurisdiction where it is legal) as a prostitute she is in no position to claim that she is being sexually harrassed because clients want to have sex with her.
AFAIK, an existing practice of sexual harassment does not make an ongoing harassment legally permissible, with the exception of things directly tied to the work (the example was salespeople as employees and clients as the perpetrators). I doubt that an employer's claim of "That client always fondled my salespeople, so I ignored the new employee's complaint about the fondling." is a valid excuse for ignoring a complaint.

Here's where I am confused. Obviously sex is an inherent part of a prostitute's job... sorry, position... sorry, employment. Is your analogy a particularly pungent kipper, a statement that being felt-up is an inherent part of a traveling salesperson's job, or something else?

Are things are so bad that being felt-up (a large percentage of people who do not opt-out are still subjected to unwanted touching) and occasionally forced to disrobe is as inherent a part of a traveling salesperson's job as sex is to a whore's job? That being felt-up is an inherent part of the job for salespeople with certain medical implants? Seriously?

Last edited by ralfp; Nov 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:46 pm

I would say "yes". It's like the stripper pole distributor example I gave a while ago. A person couldn't take a sales job knowing that they'd be expected to visit strip clubs and then later claim they were being sexually harassed by being forced to do so.

Let's say I run a consistently profitable company with $20 million total assets that gets all $10million of its annual revenue from activity X. A new regulation requires that anyone engaging in activity X buy equipment or otherwise incur costs of $1billion. What can I do?
Regulations like that are both very tricky and very rare, precisely because of such problems. Recall that Prohibition required a Constitutional amendment. Certainly, you can have a situation where a company that produced a certain chemical is forced out of business if that chemical is found dangerous and outlawed, but that's very different from interpreting general rule (e.g., ADA, discrimination, or sexual harassment) in a way that would produce that result.

What happens if the employer gets a complaint immediately after the employee's first trip through a checkpoint and then continues to require that the employee expose him/herself to the sexually hostile work environment (travel) before the complaint is investigated and investigations are concluded? Does this expose the employer to potential liability?
Theoretically, perhaps, but the "investigation" is going to take zero time: a very rapid determination that there's no way the company can affect what happens at the checkpoint.

I doubt that an employer's claim of "That client always fondled my salespeople, so I ignored the new employee's complaint about the fondling." is a valid excuse for ignoring a complaint.
No, but as I've repeatedly said, there's a very big difference between a situation involving one (or a small number) of customers and some more generic issue. Here, somebody is claiming that travel itself is sexual harassment through no fault of the employer. In other words that it's an inherent part of the job. So if somebody today accepted a job requiring travel, I don't think they could later claim sexual harassment. In that way, it's similar to the prostitute.

Are things are so bad that being felt-up (a large percentage of people who do not opt-out are still subjected to unwanted touching) and occasionally forced to disrobe is as inherent a part of a traveling salesperson's job as sex is to a whore's job? That being felt-up is an inherent part of the job for salespeople with certain medical implants? Seriously?
Obviously, there's an ongoing debate about whether that's the case or not. But here we're assuming that it is.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 18, 2010 at 1:08 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
It would be more useful for people with concerns to actually talk with appropriate specialists than play IANAL and RUAL? games.

The contact info for the EEOC lists both general contact info and by-city contact info for small businesses.

If you're a manager, you can also contact your HR people and ask them whether there could be a problem if you ask an employee to travel and s/he experiences an invasive patdown.

If you're a small business owner and belong to some local or national organization, it might also make sense to get in touch with them and see whether it makes sense to try to get a formal opinion from a specialist.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by neko
If you're a small business owner and belong to some local or national organization, it might also make sense to get in touch with them and see whether it makes sense to try to get a formal opinion from a specialist.
Why? What would a small business owner do with the resulting information? They can't change the screening process and have likely already cut back non-essential travel for financial reasons. Why pay for information that can't possibly effect what they do and is really nothing more than a guess anyway?

The view from people I talk to about this is "who knows for sure if this is an issue or not, but there's nothing I can do about it, so why waste time worrying about it, especially when there are lots of things I can do something about that I need to spend my time on?".
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No sensible employer, that's for sure.

However, from a legal standpoint, does the preexisting & ongoing nature of the activity considered to be sexual harassment by the potential (and perhaps future) employee excuse anything?
Note that I didn't say he was wrong to call it sexual harassment. I was only talking about the career implications.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.