Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports cash in on terror checks

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

A whistleblower security guard at Luton Airport, which adopted the system last year, claimed there is a deliberate policy to let the queues grow to encourage people to pay for the express lane.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...#ixzz14b5thNeF
A new thread. A new way to may the process even more infuriating. Brought to you by our friends in Great Britain. Coming soon to an airport near you?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:24 am

I must say that I can't believe every such "claim" that somebody makes and this particular one seems to be less credible than most. I've done computer research that heavily involves queuing and, although it was my research partner who was the queuing theory expert, I've learned enough to know that what determines queue length isn't what seems at first glance to do so. Yes, the difference between the arrival rate and the departure rate (the latter here being the rate at which passengers are being screened), but if that's too small, then queue length goes up at a very rapid rate. For most situations, the queue length is determined by the patten of arrivals over time. And that's very hard to manipulate even if you want to. Yes, you can decrease screening throughput, but it's hard to precisely regulate that in a way that will produce queues that are merely long, not unmanagable.

So I don't find this story particularly credible. (E.g., perhaps some medium-level person said something such as this to a low-level person, but I have problems believing that this was actual policy.)
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I must say that I can't believe every such "claim" that somebody makes and this particular one seems to be less credible than most. I've done computer research that heavily involves queuing and, although it was my research partner who was the queuing theory expert, I've learned enough to know that what determines queue length isn't what seems at first glance to do so. Yes, the difference between the arrival rate and the departure rate (the latter here being the rate at which passengers are being screened), but if that's too small, then queue length goes up at a very rapid rate. For most situations, the queue length is determined by the patten of arrivals over time. And that's very hard to manipulate even if you want to. Yes, you can decrease screening throughput, but it's hard to precisely regulate that in a way that will produce queues that are merely long, not unmanagable.

So I don't find this story particularly credible. (E.g., perhaps some medium-level person said something such as this to a low-level person, but I have problems believing that this was actual policy.)
I agree. But, I needed a bit of change of pace. The legal stuff was beginning to depress me. Richard, thanks for your posts. I enjoy them.

I am off med leave and back on the road today. I will not be posting as much, but I will be keeping up. Wish me luck.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by RichardKenner

I am far from the expert here, but since the rate that people leave the queue is not constant I could see this happening very easily. When there is no line the screeners take more time screening each person and just generally being relaxed. When the line is huge they work at a quicker pace. With this the line would find an equilibrium between small and unmanageable.

I would also think that this could expend to anywhere that people line up for anything. Even something as mundane as checking out at a grocery store.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

A new thread. A new way to may the process even more infuriating. Brought to you by our friends in Great Britain. Coming soon to an airport near you?
The worst security queue I have ever stood in at Luton Airport took only about 20 minutes to get through. So I don't agree - it's actually one of the best airports for having a reasonable length of security queue, IMO, and the staff always seem to be friendly and polite. And the ability to pay 3 quid to jump the queue does come in useful if you're in a hurry or want extra time at the airport. It's a service I have used, though not every time.

It's no different from a business class lane, except it's depackaged, given that most flights out of Luton do not carry business class.

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.