Hope at Last? Lawsuit Against Body Scanners

Old Nov 3, 10, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Hope at Last? Lawsuit Against Body Scanners

Here are the details: http://epic.org/privacy/body_scanner...n_of_body.html

An excerpt:

EPIC has filed the opening brief in EPIC v. DHS, No, 10-1157, a case that challenges the unilateral decision of the TSA to make body scanners the primary screening technique in U.S. airports. Three frequent air travelers are joining EPIC in the lawsuit: security expert Bruce Schneier, human rights activist Chip Pitts, and the Council on American-Islamic Relations legal counsel Nadhira Al-Khalili. The Petitioners have brought claims under the Administrative Procedure Act, the Privacy Act, the Video Voyeurism Prevention Act, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and the Fourth Amendment. The Petitioners are seeking the suspension of the body scanner program.
Old Nov 3, 10, 1:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ainst-tsa.html
Old Nov 3, 10, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Let's hope they get somewhere. Seems like most of the lawsuits by EPIC have not gotten very far.
Old Nov 3, 10, 8:20 pm

There is only so much employee quality you can expect with gas pump and pizza box ads, and TSA probably feels that machines can give more consistent results, and machines don't require constant retraining.
Old Nov 3, 10, 9:13 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
What we need is a class action lawsuit, and I'm usually not a litigious type of guy. Think about it. You see lawyers advertising all the time for defective products, medicines, ect. I think TSA should be added to this list. We need to protect our rights and that seems the best way to do it for everyday flyers. The airport would be a perfect place to advertise this, right after the security checkpoint. "Feel like you've been violated by TSA....." I'm sure there are plenty business travelers out there who are tired of this treatment. What are reducing ourselves down to by being violated everytime we fly?
Old Nov 4, 10, 2:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just thought of something. OK, maybe this wouldn't work but here goes.

Could we raise funds to get an ad placed within an airport, preferably as close to the screening area as possible, which states something like:

Do you feel that these images of your body are appropriate? {insert image}

Do you enjoy being frisked like a prisoner to board an airplane? {insert image}

Do you enjoy having your 4th amendment rights violated? {insert image}

Do you enjoy risking cancer in the name of "security"? {insert image}

Contact XXXXXXX with your concerns or XXXX for more information.
Old Nov 4, 10, 7:10 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TXagogo View Post

Could we raise funds to get an ad placed within an airport, preferably as close to the screening area as possible, which states something like:

Clear Channel Airports links over 260 airports to influential air travelers around the globe.

Found this and it includes my airport. I have put in an initial general inquiry for T&C and additional info. I will let you know. They handle a lot of airport advertising.

I suspect $$$$, but may be $$$$$ as they say in the guides. We will see.

Update, not unexpected, from Clear Channel:

Unfortunately, right away a red flag went up. The airport approves ALL advertisers creative in ALL our markets. There’s no way they would allow any sort of negative connotation against the TSA/FAA. Clear Channel does not have the power to approve creative.
Do not be hard on them. The person I communicated with was very nice and up front. I let them know immediately what we were interested in. Mark this one off.

Now, very expensive billboards near the entrance to the airport.........But, that is for another day.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Nov 4, 10 at 12:01 pm
Old Nov 4, 10, 12:00 pm

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
Clear Channel Airports links over 260 airports to influential air travelers around the globe.

Found this and it includes my airport. I have put in an initial general inquiry for T&C and additional info. I will let you know. They handle a lot of airport advertising.

I suspect $$$$, but may be $$$$$ as they say in the guides. We will see.
Interesting idea! I would have suggested a DC-area airport, but apparently they don't serve any of them.

To maximize cost-benefit, I'm guessing that the smaller the airport, the cheaper the ad. So what you really want is the smallest airport that has a single security checkpoint, a WBI, and useful advertising space landside and just before the checkpoint.

And a very simple logo - say 'no' to govt radiation - say 'i opt out' and a no-tsa or no wbi icon (red circle + slash). Plus a US flag, since it's kind of mandatory.

It might not be seen by as many people, but it might have a noticeable impact on the proportion of opt-outs.
Old Nov 4, 10, 12:05 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by TXagogo View Post

You can raise as much money as you want, but the people who own the media in airports won't sell to you if that's what you intend to do.
Old Nov 4, 10, 12:07 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mkt View Post
You can raise as much money as you want, but the people who own the media in airports won't sell to you if that's what you intend to do.
You are correct. I thought so, but it did not hurt to check. I lost nothing and learned a lot.

Unfortunately, right away a red flag went up. The airport approves ALL advertisers creative in ALL our markets. Theres no way they would allow any sort of negative connotation against the TSA/FAA. Clear Channel does not have the power to approve creative.
Old Nov 4, 10, 12:17 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Quick question: If the Airport Authority has some final say about advertising messages, and the Airport Authority is part of the government... Would this not mean that in some way the government is restricting free speech? I realize that it wouldn't be the federal government that's doing this, because the Airport Authorities fall under more of a local/county government thing-- but there's got to be some argument here if a government organization won't approve ads that are critical of it...
Old Nov 4, 10, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by IslandBased View Post
There is only so much employee quality you can expect with gas pump and pizza box ads, and TSA probably feels that machines can give more consistent results, and machines don't require constant retraining.
True, but the conclusion I would make is yet another reason to use ETP "puffers" which is a passive method, instead of relying on the Nude-O-Scope operator to detect an anomaly.
Old Nov 4, 10, 1:08 pm

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
OK, perhaps the OP can consider options near, but not at the airport. Billboard on road approaching the airport, advertisement on bus or subway line to the airport (haven't there been 1st amendment cases about these?), ad space at non-airport-owned remote parking lots, advertisement in/on taxis....

If the economy is, in fact, bad, there should be advertising space going begging...
Old Nov 4, 10, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by neko View Post
To maximize cost-benefit, I'm guessing that the smaller the airport, the cheaper the ad. So what you really want is the smallest airport that has a single security checkpoint, a WBI, and useful advertising space landside and just before the checkpoint.
CRP meets these criteria and has the (possible) benefit of being in one the most plaintiff-friendly counties in the nation.
Old Nov 4, 10, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
That's typically true. In most cases the airport has veto authority over any ad. And the advertising companies - Clear Channel in particular - are known to avoid ANY controversial issue. In most places, Clear Channel will not accept advertising for strip clubs, even if the clubs are legal.

Search this Thread