Hope at Last? Lawsuit Against Body Scanners

Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:35 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TXagogo
Hey - I love the thought process but the only problem is that at some airports they wouldn't be seen.

For instance, I park in the terminal at DFW. When I pulll my vehicle into the parking space I am right up against a concrete wall. It would never be seen by another single person.

Of course I only speak for myself. Folks who park out in open parking lots would get more bang for their buck. But these are the kinds of ideas we need more of!! ^

PS - What about starting off with bumper stickers? Easy and cheap??
I though of that in the night. I park valet and nobody sees my car. Bumper stickers are great and can be set up through cafe press. Message needs to be simple: maybe graphic of scan machine with international red do not symbol. No nude scanners! Say: I Opt Out!, and the web address.

As for the sun block, I will slip mine in my case and use it in the rental car at the hotel. Might even have an extra on hand if anyone likes it.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by clrankin
Quick question: If the Airport Authority has some final say about advertising messages, and the Airport Authority is part of the government... Would this not mean that in some way the government is restricting free speech? I realize that it wouldn't be the federal government that's doing this, because the Airport Authorities fall under more of a local/county government thing-- but there's got to be some argument here if a government organization won't approve ads that are critical of it...
This is settled case law that governments need to be occasionally reminded of by a federal court. And since free speech has been declared a "fundamental civil right" triple damages are automatically due.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I though of that in the night. I park valet and nobody sees my car. Bumper stickers are great and can be set up through cafe press. Message needs to be simple: maybe graphic of scan machine with international red do not symbol. No nude scanners! Say: I Opt Out!, and the web address.

As for the sun block, I will slip mine in my case and use it in the rental car at the hotel. Might even have an extra on hand if anyone likes it.
Or:

TSA Can't See Me Naked
I Quit Flying

Wishful thinking, perhaps, although that is my goal.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by clrankin
Would this not mean that in some way the government is restricting free speech?...
Originally Posted by n4zhg
This is settled case law that governments need to be occasionally reminded of by a federal court. And since free speech has been declared a "fundamental civil right" triple damages are automatically due.
"Free speech" doesn't confer universal rights or cover in public media. You can't air live sex acts on CBS in prime time, demand to make a speech on a radio talk show, or buy a light box at the airport urging the violent overthrow of the US government. No airport authority will enable overt politicking in infrastruture advertising - that kind of thing is restricted to the hard-fought Hare Krishna box / desk / whatever.

What you put on your own car bumper or in your own windshield is basically your own business, though.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
You can grab a bumper sticker at cafepress.com/dontscanme - pick the design on the left (the red design is the bumper sticker), go to 'gifts' at the top of the page and one of the options should be the bumper sticker.

(I designed the thing and actually re-did it so the text wouldn't touch the edges of the sticker - I also did a smaller one. Both of these were sent to mozgytog, who runs the Cafepress store, but he's been a little tied up this week - I may go ahead and dump them into one of my own stores until he can get caught up. PM me if you need one more or less right now. Here's the smaller sticker....note that this is the hi-res, it won't print nearly this size: http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3...mallwedits.jpg )

I'm in on the windshield shade!! Great idea.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:56 pm

The comments at reddit are almost entirely pro-EPIC lawsuit and against the scanner.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/c...o_suspend_the/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.