Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hope at Last? Lawsuit Against Body Scanners

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
As suggested before, we need to get a box truck and drive around the airport a few times with that message plastered to the side. If it was big enough, you could put the picture of the MMW & BKSX scans...
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Mark this one off.
Or higher a good civil rights attorney, since airports are public agencies and cannot hinder free speech. It's clearly unconstitutional. The 1st amendment was intended especially to protect criticism of government.

Originally Posted by mkt
You can raise as much money as you want, but the people who own the media in airports won't sell to you if that's what you intend to do.
There's a distinction. Clear Channel as a private company is not obligated to facilitate your free speech. However, if Clear Channel refuses your advertising because a public agency will not allow it, you have a 1st amendment issue.
Originally Posted by clrankin
Quick question: If the Airport Authority has some final say about advertising messages, and the Airport Authority is part of the government... Would this not mean that in some way the government is restricting free speech? I realize that it wouldn't be the federal government that's doing this, because the Airport Authorities fall under more of a local/county government thing-- but there's got to be some argument here if a government organization won't approve ads that are critical of it...
Bingo!

That's why airports that would rather squelch protesters & pamphleters altogether ended up with free speech booths.

The free speech booths were a compromise to limit in-your-face activities. They can't limit the message. I don't see how they can constitutionally restrict the message that is placed on billboards.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 4, 2010 at 4:32 pm
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Or higher a good civil rights attorney, since airports are public agencies and cannot hinder free speech. It's clearly unconstitutional. The 1st amendment was intended especially to protect criticism of government.

There's a distinction. Clear Channel as a private company is not obligated to facilitate your free speech. However, if Clear Channel refuses your advertising because a public agency will not allow it, you have a 1st amendment issue.
Technically, it seems it is a non-profit corporation independent of metro government.

In 1968, a group of Nashvillians from a cross-section of the community discussed plans for an innovative airport management structure that would bring their city and region into the modern era of aviation. Their goal was to provide a framework in which air carriers could interact with the community in a business-like manner. Authority planners did not want city taxpayers to bear all the costs of improved aviation. They wanted to establish a system of governance that would be self-financing and that would assure all future Nashvillians of a safe, efficient and modern airport. Ideas were offered by a diverse group of people in the community and were solicited from around the country. In 1969, this group, led by the late John C. Tune, drafted enabling legislation to establish an airport authority as a non-profit corporation separate from Metro Government. They worked diligently with state and local governments for this legislation's passage. The Tennessee General Assembly enacted the bill in 1969, and the Metropolitan Council passed resolution 70-872 creating the Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority in April of 1970.
Bold is mine.

From here.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
I guess if advertising in the airport is an issue, what about in airline in-flight magazines. A big advertisment on the back of an AmericanWay would get some attention. Airlines are strapped for money and I don't think the TSA has any regulations for in-flight reading material.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by cody77
I guess if advertising in the airport is an issue, what about in airline in-flight magazines. A big advertisment on the back of an AmericanWay would get some attention. Airlines are strapped for money and I don't think the TSA has any regulations for in-flight reading material.
I think some of it might also go to the fact that they don't want to be seen as a "supporter", in case a plane was blown out of the sky. If the published an article from a 3rd party stating that WBI is ineffective, you can bet that people might choose another airline, that decides not to be "friends" with "people like us"
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Technically, it seems it is a non-profit corporation independent of metro government.

Bold is mine.

From here.
Corporations are own and controlled by other entities. It's still public. In any case I doubt it's the norm. Airports such as MSP & STL that have their own police forces MUST be public agencies.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I think some of it might also go to the fact that they don't want to be seen as a "supporter", in case a plane was blown out of the sky. If the published an article from a 3rd party stating that WBI is ineffective, you can bet that people might choose another airline, that decides not to be "friends" with "people like us"
Haha... Didn't think about that. Guess I'm just brainstorming. Somebody needs to do something. Too bad I didn't go to law school, I would have devoted my time to getting this and other TSA regulations stopped (guess I would've had to get a job with the ACLU, and I usually don't side with them).

Are there any attorneys out there who have any thoughts on stopping this invasion of our rights.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:06 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by neko
OK, perhaps the OP can consider options near, but not at the airport. Billboard on road approaching the airport, advertisement on bus or subway line to the airport (haven't there been 1st amendment cases about these?), ad space at non-airport-owned remote parking lots, advertisement in/on taxis....

If the economy is, in fact, bad, there should be advertising space going begging...
You shouldn't have a major problem with those. I also suggest busses on routes serving airports, and rail systems that serve airports.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
That's typically true. In most cases the airport has veto authority over any ad. And the advertising companies - Clear Channel in particular - are known to avoid ANY controversial issue. In most places, Clear Channel will not accept advertising for strip clubs, even if the clubs are legal.
I can't stand dealing with Clear Channel on my freelance advertising gigs.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Not that I don't want to see that case happen (I do), but what would happen (IME) is that all of a sudden they are sold out, or another company replaces them in selling the media (setting you back to the beginning).

I deal with media sales people several times a week, and all I've gathered is that most are quite chicken!@!@#$ when it comes to selling adspace to anything remotely controversial.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by cody77
Well there was this PETA ad.

PETA seems to get a lot of mileage for being turned down for advertising with airlines that I don't believe they ever really intended to go forward with, so that solves the budget issue.

Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: NWA Tears
There you go. Get some of the gals who've done PETA ads to pose in a nude-o-scope. When those ads get refused you'll get all kinds of PR. Of course, you might have to fly to Lagos to get access to a nude-o-scope (and given their history, it's operators may pay you to have them pose).
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Would there be problems with these, printed with our message, and planted all over the parking lots?

Looking at $20/parked car even in small quantities and shipped to our folks.

http://images.epromos.com/productimg/8817517S.jpg

or

http://images.epromos.com/productimg/8817485S.jpg
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would there be problems with these, printed with our message, and planted all over the parking lots?

Looking at $20/parked car even in small quantities and shipped to our folks.

http://images.epromos.com/productimg/8817517S.jpg

or

http://images.epromos.com/productimg/8817485S.jpg
I don't see why it would be a problem. I'd definitely order one! I can proudly display it when I park @ MCI.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I don't see why it would be a problem. I'd definitely order one! I can proudly display it when I park @ MCI.
Okay, all we need is an entrepreneurial spirit to step up, a bunch of us pitch in a little capital, get the design, get it proofed, and off to the printer. We could even promise to cover initial orders, sort of a advance on future purchases.

It will take some time and a little work. Time I do not have.

Otherwise, I'm in. Just PM details when ready. I'll help with a bit of the start up.

I gave a quick look at cafepress and they do not seem to offer this. It would have been easier.

INK
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, all we need is an entrepreneurial spirit to step up, a bunch of us pitch in a little capital, get the design, get it proofed, and off to the printer. We could even promise to cover initial orders, sort of a advance on future purchases.

It will take some time and a little work. Time I do not have.

Otherwise, I'm in. Just PM details when ready. I'll help with a bit of the start up.

INK
If 50 TS/S FTers would purchase one of these, the cost would only be $15.10. Perhaps we could sell them for $20, and have the leftover go to a fund for Michael Roberts..

FT TS/Sers, what do you say? Would you purchase one? We could setup a paypal account where people could pay the money for a car shade, which might make some feel a bit more comfortable..
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hey - I love the thought process but the only problem is that at some airports they wouldn't be seen.

For instance, I park in the terminal at DFW. When I pulll my vehicle into the parking space I am right up against a concrete wall. It would never be seen by another single person.

Of course I only speak for myself. Folks who park out in open parking lots would get more bang for their buck. But these are the kinds of ideas we need more of!! ^

PS - What about starting off with bumper stickers? Easy and cheap??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.