Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSO X-ray op: "This is very serious. This is not a joke."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K

I can't believe this happened in Tucson. The TSA folks in Tucson are really very polite, kind, helpful with the inordinate amount of geriatric type folks that come through this time of year. In 300+ flights out of TUS I've had no issues. Until last night.

It was dead when I showed up. I was the only person in the checkpoint with seven smurfs all standing around gabbing. ID check is done at the WTMD when it's this slow late at night.

I dutifully unpack my laptop, Kippie-baggie, and send everything through. My briefcase contained: an ipad, a couple magazines, a book, chargers and a few work folders. Nothing too drastic. I've traveled at least 50 times through TUS using this exact setup. The following is our exchange.

X-ray op: "you need to take the laptop out."

Me: "It's an iPad."

X-ray op: "I don't care. I can't see it well. You've got enough stuff in there to put on two camels." (Whatever that means)

Me: "The rules say that ipads can stay in. You didn't have a problem last week with it."

TSO standing next to x-ray op: "You have $35 worth of change in your bag! We have a tough time seeing it."

I took the ipad out, cleared the WTMD and was waiting for the stuff to show up.

X-ray op and the other TSO start joking and laughing about how much money I have, how many chargers I have (2) etc.

Me: "Could you tell me how much change I have in there, I've lost track."

X-ray op turns and gives me a look of death and says: "This is very serious. This is not a joke. You need to pack less stuff in your bag. There is nothing funny about this."

Me: "If it's not a joke, why were you two laughing and telling me I had enough in there to put on two camels?"

That's how it ended. No comments from that clown after I asked him that question. I tried asking before with the ipad if I turned the bag over, so the ipad was on top if it'd be easier for them. No dice.

I told the WN GSC about it who was shocked. Her words were: "sounds like he's on a power trip."

So, apparently it's ok for the smurfs to joke about the contents of your bag, but you can't joke with them. I fly out of TUS on the exact same flight Thursday. Can't wait to show up with the same bag, packed the same way. Maybe I'll bring a camel.

One has to wonder what they're joking about in that room with the NoS screens....
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I can't believe this happened in Tucson. The TSA folks in Tucson are really very polite, kind, helpful with the inordinate amount of geriatric type folks that come through this time of year. In 300+ flights out of TUS I've had no issues. Until last night.

It was dead when I showed up. I was the only person in the checkpoint with seven smurfs all standing around gabbing. ID check is done at the WTMD when it's this slow late at night.

I dutifully unpack my laptop, Kippie-baggie, and send everything through. My briefcase contained: an ipad, a couple magazines, a book, chargers and a few work folders. Nothing too drastic. I've traveled at least 50 times through TUS using this exact setup. The following is our exchange.

X-ray op: "you need to take the laptop out."

Me: "It's an iPad."

X-ray op: "I don't care. I can't see it well. You've got enough stuff in there to put on two camels." (Whatever that means)

Me: "The rules say that ipads can stay in. You didn't have a problem last week with it."

TSO standing next to x-ray op: "You have $35 worth of change in your bag! We have a tough time seeing it."

I took the ipad out, cleared the WTMD and was waiting for the stuff to show up.

X-ray op and the other TSO start joking and laughing about how much money I have, how many chargers I have (2) etc.

Me: "Could you tell me how much change I have in there, I've lost track."

X-ray op turns and gives me a look of death and says: "This is very serious. This is not a joke. You need to pack less stuff in your bag. There is nothing funny about this."

Me: "If it's not a joke, why were you two laughing and telling me I had enough in there to put on two camels?"

That's how it ended. No comments from that clown after I asked him that question. I tried asking before with the ipad if I turned the bag over, so the ipad was on top if it'd be easier for them. No dice.

I told the WN GSC about it who was shocked. Her words were: "sounds like he's on a power trip."

So, apparently it's ok for the smurfs to joke about the contents of your bag, but you can't joke with them. I fly out of TUS on the exact same flight Thursday. Can't wait to show up with the same bag, packed the same way. Maybe I'll bring a camel.

One has to wonder what they're joking about in that room with the NoS screens....
If you can find a fairly-inexpensive stuffed-toy camel, I'd seriously consider getting one and strapping it to the outside of that bag before your next flight there. Then just look at that clown when you go through. Don't say anything. Just LOOK at him. Let him be the bozo - again.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by erictank
If you can find a fairly-inexpensive stuffed-toy camel, I'd seriously consider getting one and strapping it to the outside of that bag before your next flight there. Then just look at that clown when you go through. Don't say anything. Just LOOK at him. Let him be the bozo - again.
I think he said he needed two camels.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I think he said he needed two camels.
Well, then, he should strap TWO fairly-inexpensive stuffed-toy camels to that bag. Easy-peasy.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Well, then, he should strap TWO fairly-inexpensive stuffed-toy camels to that bag. Easy-peasy.
Here's one you can make at home: paper craft camel

OP, sorry to make light of your experience. Those guys were seriously out of line!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:39 am

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Besides the camels, throw in as many power cords as you can find, USB cords, ethernet, whatever. And just for fun, maybe a couple security cables.

And if you don't want to get stuffed camels, use tin foil to cut out some camel outlines and tape them inside your bag. They are going to have to pull your bag apart at that point in all likelihood, but hopefully Mr. Funny will get the point.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: SM-GM ~ PC-PM ~ HGP-PM ~ SPG-GM
Originally Posted by tusphotog
how many chargers I have (2) etc.

Monday in ATL they made me take my power cords out of my bag and put them in a separate tub and let them scan them.

Of course I swear the TSC reading the screen was new because she called for bag check on almost every computer bag that wen through, many times the normal rate (guessing 80+%)

TSA: we need to scan these power cords separately
Me: Why? They've never been a problem before
TSA: She can't see everything with these cords in there
Me: I am assuming she must be new, based on the number of bag checks she's calling
TSA: you would be assuming wrong - (gotta tow the line)

He thumbs through all pockets on my bag and pulls out my macbook charger, cell phone car charger, and GPS charger from very last pocket puts them into a bin and shows her the bin then runs bag and bin.

When they come out he hands me the bin and bag...

I couldn't help it and said "so my power cords are SAFE TO FLY TODAY?!?" he did not respond.

I would note that I didn't get a full bag check, no residue check, he just looked through the pockets, apparently looking for chargers, pulled them all out of the very last pocket and scanned them. I also assumed the reason he showed her the bin before he took it and put it in the scanner, was to show her she was a idiot.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
"You have to federalize before you can professionalize." We're still waiting for that second step.

Originally Posted by username_unknown
Monday in ATL they made me take my power cords out of my bag and put them in a separate tub and let them scan them.

Of course I swear the TSC reading the screen was new because she called for bag check on almost every computer bag that wen through, many times the normal rate (guessing 80+%)

TSA: we need to scan these power cords separately
Me: Why? They've never been a problem before
TSA: She can't see everything with these cords in there
Me: I am assuming she must be new, based on the number of bag checks she's calling
TSA: you would be assuming wrong - (gotta tow the line)

He thumbs through all pockets on my bag and pulls out my macbook charger, cell phone car charger, and GPS charger from very last pocket puts them into a bin and shows her the bin then runs bag and bin.

When they come out he hands me the bin and bag...

I couldn't help it and said "so my power cords are SAFE TO FLY TODAY?!?" he did not respond.

I would note that I didn't get a full bag check, no residue check, he just looked through the pockets, apparently looking for chargers, pulled them all out of the very last pocket and scanned them. I also assumed the reason he showed her the bin before he took it and put it in the scanner, was to show her she was a idiot.
I hope you asked him to change his glove before he started reaching into your bag.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
"You have to federalize before you can professionalize." We're still waiting for that second step.

I hope you asked him to change his glove before he started reaching into your bag.
ALWAYS insist that they change their gloves before rifling through your property. Bed bugs are spreading through the U.S. at an alarming rate--I would not be surprised if the TSA is transferring them from bag to bag.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You've got a heck of a decision. Do you go with this guy? Or, Do you go with this guy? Or, maybe one of each???
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Maybe he trained for his groping certification on a camel and developed a special bond with the boys and misses them?

Their guidelines on leaving electronics in the bag are pretty specific about clutter in the bag, if they can't clearly see the ipad or kindle or whatever, they may take it out or do a visual or whatever for a better look. I tend to carry a ton of stuff in a small bag, it's just been easier to take the netbook out all the time than deal with the one in ten people who want to hassle over it.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
You've got a heck of a decision. Do you go with this guy? Or, Do you go with this guy? Or, maybe one of each???
Which one spits further?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
I had at least 25 trips through checkpoints in Sept/Oct after buying my iPad and I was never asked to take it out. My bag was full of all sorts of crap as it was my primary bag during several straight weeks of travel.

Sounds like you had some bored agents in a bad mood
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would file a complaint over it, send it directly to the FSD. Digress on the iPad searching thing, but emphasize the amount of change and joking thing.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going through LAS the xray screener was hollering at no one in particular words to the effect that "you people need to learn how to pack" and "you need to leave this stuff at home" and other words to that effect.

And I do mean hollering. Was not calling for bag checks just dressing down the people who bought a ticket to fly on some very expensive airplanes.

The airlines better wake up and take control of this abuse of their customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.