FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   The Day US Customs Found a Bullet in My Pocket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1143046-day-us-customs-found-bullet-my-pocket.html)

MastaHanky Nov 1, 2010 4:01 pm

The Day US Customs Found a Bullet in My Pocket

Interesting read.

The Immigration Officer swiped my passport, glanced at his computer screen and almost immediately stamped me back into the country. But just before I started to walk away he asked, “So you went to Afghanistan and Pakistan. How was it?” The only reply that I could muster up was a quiet, “Very interesting.”

He then called the next person in line and I turned away, relieved beyond belief at how well that had gone. Of course, that relief lasted a mere six seconds, right until the moment when a Customs Officer approached and asked me to step over to one of the inspection tables.

The following hour and a half of my life is a period of time that I will never forget and truthfully, never really want to endure ever again.
http://www.wanderingearl.com/the-day...-in-my-pocket/

FriendlySkies Nov 1, 2010 5:06 pm

Very interesting.. I wonder if the CBP Officer would have reacted the same if he was not carrying the candy and books.

DesertNomad Nov 1, 2010 5:27 pm

It doesn't surprise me at all. I have been similarly "detained" for my various Middle Eastern travels and residency... and for Arab contacts in my mobile phone. The FBI wouldn't be able to tap my home phone tho - I don't have one.

Loren Pechtel Nov 1, 2010 7:41 pm

The page won't load.

karenkay Nov 1, 2010 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 15056489)
The page won't load.

try again. did for me...

ralfp Nov 1, 2010 8:32 pm

What a depressing, albeit wholly unsurprising (which makes it even more depressing), story.

A box of "Super Osama bin Laden Kulfa Balls" would be a fantastic souvenir (so long as neither he or henchmen get royalties). :D

ewick12 Nov 2, 2010 12:12 am

Originally Posted by ralfp (Post 15056834)
What a depressing, albeit wholly unsurprising (which makes it even more depressing), story.

A box of "Super Osama bin Laden Kulfa Balls" would be a fantastic souvenir (so long as neither he or henchmen get royalties). :D

Yeah I would definitely buy those! Seems like the guy should have used his Fifth Amendment rights. They probably would've given up more quickly if he didn't participate in their game.

SDF_Traveler Nov 2, 2010 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 15056489)
The page won't load.

I can't get it to load either -- it reads:

The website you were trying to reach is temporarily unavailable.

Please check back soon.
If you are the owner of this website, please log in for additional
information or contact us as soon as possible.

N965VJ Nov 2, 2010 9:31 am

I was able to load it last night, but not now.

The blogger mentioned Customs found a "bullet". I'm going to assume this refers to the inert projectile itself, not a complete cartridge with primer and powder.

AirborneBevo Nov 2, 2010 9:35 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 15059708)
I was able to load it last night, but not now.

The blogger mentioned Customs found a "bullet". I'm going to assume this refers to the inert projectile itself, not a complete cartridge with primer and powder.

My reading of the story makes it seem like it is the full primer and powder, which if true makes the poster naive at best. If I misunderstand, and it is just a spent shell casing, that is not as bad. If it really was a live unspent round, what did the guy expect, that is an explosive.

Good Guy Nov 2, 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by AirborneBevo (Post 15059732)
My reading of the story makes it seem like it is the full primer and powder

This was my understanding too. A live round given as a souvenir. In it's self, not really a problem. Bullets become dangerous when they are introduced into firearms. :p

AirborneBevo Nov 2, 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Good Guy (Post 15059754)
This was my understanding too. A live round given as a souvenir. In it's self, not really a problem. Bullets become dangerous when they are introduced into firearms. :p

In some places, like Mexico, just having the bullet can be a big problem. Souvenir or not, I cannot fathom why one would just carry a bullet in the pocket or backpack Barney Fife style, and not expect someone to notice, especially security.

ScottC Nov 2, 2010 11:00 am

There was a bit more to the story than "just a bullet". There were trips to Afghanistan and Pakistan, Osama Bin Laden candies (really!!), a bunch of religious books and an overzalous customs agent.

There is not much story to this, just an agent who put 1 and 1 together, and came to 3, which to him automatically meant "terrorist". After an interview, the guy was allowed to go.

In the rest of his story he then said his phone was tapped and he constantly got secondaries at the airport.

I'm a little hesitant to believe the FBI/phone tap part of the story, but it certaibly did make for a good read.

polonius Nov 2, 2010 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 15060305)
I'm a little hesitant to believe the FBI/phone tap part of the story, but it certaibly did make for a good read.

Dude, long before the current climate of paranoia and unfettered FBI harassment, I was active in multiple leftist organisations, all of whose members were continuously wiretapped by the FBI (indeed, one of these organisations was formally classified as a 'terrorist' organisation despite our charter, which committed us to achieving our goals through creative non-violent resistance as promoted by Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.). If they were doing that then, we can only imagine what sort of abuse they believe they can get away with now. Don't be naïve -- the FBI is an evil, abusive organisation that recognises no constraints on their behaviour.

studentff Nov 2, 2010 11:33 am

article available through google cache (for now)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a