Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green Card as ID for Domestic Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Green Card as ID for Domestic Flights

It is OK to use your Green Card as an ID on domestic flights after October 1st, 2020? Thanks in advance for your response.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:58 pm

It should be fine.

"If I don’t have a Real ID come October 2020, are there other documents I can use to get through a TSA checkpoint? Other acceptable forms of identification include a U.S. passport...a permanent resident card, and other such options as a Global Entry traveler card."

source:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...343_story.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Gunborg
It is OK to use your Green Card as an ID on domestic flights after October 1st, 2020? Thanks in advance for your response.
Being legal and being OK isn't necessarily the same thing. It should be fine but depending on where you use it the agent may never have seen such a thing and claim it is not valid. You then have to ask for a supervisor, and if you are lucky they know about it. Happened a few years ago to yours truly in ATL. Had just passed immigration with the card and then the TSA dude claimed it was not a valid form of identification. Rather than force the issue I then just showed him my passport.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: RFC
Hell, I've had TSA refuse my Global Entry card a couple of times over the years. <redacted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 5, 2019 at 7:00 pm Reason: Opinion/commentary not practical travel security/safety advice/information
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
When Green Card is indeed an official identification document for many purposes, I would not use an identification document that costs $540 (as of today) for something that a regular Real ID, which should not cost more than $50, can do.
bruceba likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:24 am

Yeah, I would happily use it and make them accept it, but as mentioned here, you could lose it, so get a cheaper form of ID.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:43 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Aren't permanent residents supposed to carry their green card with them at all times anyway?

(I have no idea if they do or how it works in practice if they don't).
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:56 am

I think they are, and I know many do. I, however, did not. For those who are more likely to get harassed by ICE in places close to the border (or everywhere these days, it seems), I guess carrying it might be necessary.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by cafeconleche
I think they are, and I know many do. I, however, did not. For those who are more likely to get harassed by ICE in places close to the border (or everywhere these days, it seems), I guess carrying it might be necessary.
Yes, the law requires the LPR to carry the card with them at all times. However, due to the importance of the original card many LPRs will carry a laminated photocopy and keep the original in a safe location to prevent loss and theft. Of course, the photocopy is not acceptable as a form of ID or official status but it can/does help informally when needing to provide evidence of LPR status (such as having contact with law enforcement, employment situations, etc).
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

While some natural deviation from the subject of the conversation is perfectly acceptable, please let's keep the focus of the discussion on whether a Green Card is a valid ID for domestic flights.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
Yes, the law requires the LPR to carry the card with them at all times.
Federal law requires an LPR to carry *either* the card or a copy of their I94 record. Both count as ID for flying in so far as both count as valid ID under Federal law. The LPR card is *likely* to be accepted. I doubt greatly that TSA would cope with someone rocking up with a I94 print out.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A "green card" is a valid form of ID for a checkpoint today and there is no reason to suspect that anything will change between now and the full implementation of Real ID.

For all of the practical reasons above, e.g., losing an original is expensive, time-consuming, and stressful to replace, I would suggest obtaining any of the multiple Real ID-compliant forms of ID which ought to be readily available to you.

One of the reasons is not that some TSA Officer might reject it. On the off chance that this occurs, simply ask for a supervisor.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Federal law requires an LPR to carry *either* the card or a copy of their I94 record.
What are you talking about, when I-94 is not required for LPR?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by garykung
What are you talking about, when I-94 is not required for LPR?
Copy of I94 *record*. If an LPR is stopped for ID then the I94 record can serve as ID (according to CBP) and establish SoR.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Copy of I94 *record*. If an LPR is stopped for ID then the I94 record can serve as ID (according to CBP) and establish SoR.
Do you know that I-94 does not apply to LPRs? Hence, there is no I-94 record associated with LPRs unless the LPRs were non-residents before becoming LPRs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.