Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How many laws would I be breaking if someone fly in my place?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many laws would I be breaking if someone fly in my place?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Marriott Platinum
Great responses everyone! The thought in my mind was very simple. Buy a MR ticket in my name, find someone (brother, cousin, friend) to go on the trip while I go to work that day. You do not need to buy two tickets or even go to the airport. The alternate claims they are you, they have no ID, and they will get on the flight.

I do not plan on doing this. It is one of those sneaky things you think of and you just have it rolling around in your brain.

By the way, I like that you do not need an ID to fly domestically. Don't fool yourself that an ID check is in anyway preventing any terrorism. It isn't, even if mandatory. Glad to see we have a couple rights left in the land of the free :-)
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:03 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
They should not lie to a government official about their identity. That's a crime and it's unnecessary. They can clear security as themselves, without a boarding pass.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by marklyon
They should not lie to a government official about their identity. That's a crime and it's unnecessary. They can clear security as themselves, without a boarding pass.
A TSA screener is not a 'government official'. Tangling with the TSA is, 99% of the time, a civil penalty offense, not a criminal one. Outside of the checkpoint and terminal sterile area, you can do pretty much anything you want with or to a TSA employee (except hit them, as tempting as that might be sometimes).
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
18 USC 1001 applies when talking to the TSA. 18 USC 1036 is even more on point.

§ 1036. Entry by false pretenses to any real property, vessel, or aircraft of the United States or secure area of any airport or seaport
(a) Whoever, by any fraud or false pretense, enters or attempts to enter—
(1) any real property belonging in whole or in part to, or leased by, the United States;
(2) any vessel or aircraft belonging in whole or in part to, or leased by, the United States;
(3) any secure or restricted area of any seaport, designated as secure in an approved security plan, as required under section 70103 of title 46, United States Code, and the rules and regulations promulgated under that section; or
(4) any secure area of any airport,
shall be punished as provided in subsection (b) of this section.
(b) The punishment for an offense under subsection (a) of this section is—
(1) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, if the offense is committed with the intent to commit a felony; or
(2) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both, in any other case.
(c) As used in this section—
(1) the term “secure area” means an area access to which is restricted by the airport authority, captain of the seaport, or a public agency; and
(2) the term “airport” has the meaning given such term in section 47102 of title 49.
It's just stupid to lie to the TSA. There's no reason to do so. Clear security as yourself with either a gate pass or a refundable ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
this whole process sounds painful. better just to bring the I.D.
I concur completely.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I would never risk it, however, it could be done especially if it was a same day turn.

This year on 9/11 of all days, I did a 6 segment run. On 9/10 checked in my home airport, realized i forgot my ID at home. TA said no problem, they SSSS my BP and I was screened.

Next morning at STL, was concerned being 9/11 that I would not be able to get on my flight. No problem, they SSSS me, asked for no other ID, was allowed to board my flights, did all 6 segments, with no problems. On the 12th, was SSSS again for my flights home and no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.