Need to confirm travel documents ???

Old Oct 11, 10, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K
Tomorrow I'm flying YYZ -> ORD and am trying to check in on-line. I get fairly far through the process on the AC website then get stopped with a message "cannot check in at this time, please check in with an agent to confirm your travel documents". ??? Both the travel agent and the on-line AC booking have my "pre-information" of name, gender, DOB, passport number, destination and all that - well before the 72 hour deadline. What other crap could the TSA possibly want to allow me to check in on-line?? Anyone else run into this?

It's never been a problem with AC before today. The only thing I can think of is that my passport doesn't carry my middle name, therefore none of my bookings do. Are they stopping me for that?

I've already stopped US travel for vacation, and if this is the way it's going to be, I will stop it for business purposes too. And yes, the agent will hear about it tomorrow.

Followed up with the AC people - caught in a random TSA "though shalt not issue a boarding pass without confirming travel documents face to face".
And WHY do I carry a Nexus card? I promised the AC person on the phone I wouldn't be mean to the AC agent at the airport tomorrow because it's not their fault ... but seriously? I have to show proof of documentations how many times before I get on the plane, let alone get a boarding pass?

What are you guys doing south of the border? !! Besides alienating ALL travellers to your country.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 16, 10 at 6:05 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 11, 10, 9:38 pm

Yep, TSA/DHS and the USG are doing a stand-up job at alienating our guests. If I were you, cancel your plans and go where you're welcome. Spend your hard-earned money in a country that welcomes tourists and business people cos they sure don't in Amerika!
Old Oct 11, 10, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

To clarify my frustation, when you fly to the US from YYZ, the agents are nobodys (no offense). The FIRST thing you do is clear US immigration, then you check any checked bags then you go through security into the secure zone. To not issue a boarding pass without seeing an airline agent is irrelevant - you aren't going anywhere without an iris scan via Nexus, or talking to US immigration where your passport is scanned. I understand the US wanting to make sure travel documents are checked if the first opportunity is on US soil after the plane lands, but that's not the case with Canadian departures. We are treated as domestic arrivals because we've cleared US customs before we even say goodbye to our bags.

Is it a big deal to see the agent? I'm checking a bag and can't do that without in-person contact at YYZ anyway, so no, it's not a big deal. But my point is - what's the point? Make rules that make sense.
(and I'd sell my soul to cancel this trip, but I have the misfortune of not working for myself and my boss would only accept death or destruction as a valid reason to not go). And the vacation next week is Europe
Old Oct 11, 10, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Had this exact same message flying from FLR-CDG-MSP - forced me to go to counter, get my boarding pass and fight with them about luggage fees. It was delightful.
Old Oct 11, 10, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lostinthewash View Post
The FIRST thing you do is clear US immigration, then you check any checked bags then you go through security into the secure zone. To not issue a boarding pass without seeing an airline agent is irrelevant - you aren't going anywhere without an iris scan via Nexus, or talking to US immigration where your passport is scanned. I understand the US wanting to make sure travel documents are checked if the first opportunity is on US soil after the plane lands, but that's not the case with Canadian departures. We are treated as domestic arrivals because we've cleared US customs before we even say goodbye to our bags.
No wonder many Americans consider Canada the 51st state. It gives up sovereignty to let the US perform border control within its own borders. The same goes with Ireland. Wretched excuse for independent nations and makes me embarrassed to be a Canadian citizen.

Last edited by the_happiness_store; Oct 11, 10 at 11:25 pm
Old Oct 12, 10, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

SSSS

AC wouldn't print the boarding pass because of the dreaded SSSS ... agent told me that the airlines are forced to randomly SSSS in return for "relaxed security" for everyone else. Will post on NoS opt-out.
Old Oct 12, 10, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by lostinthewash View Post
Followed up with the AC people - caught in a random TSA "though shalt not issue a boarding pass without confirming travel documents face to face".
It may not be random. This is part of SecureFlight. If "close enough" to a watch list match, but your SecureFlight data shows you're not the person, TSA can flag for an airline representative to verify that the SecureFlight data matches that shown on your ID.
Old Oct 12, 10, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store View Post
No wonder many Americans consider Canada the 51st state. It gives up sovereignty to let the US perform border control within its own borders. The same goes with Ireland. Wretched excuse for independent nations and makes me embarrassed to be a Canadian citizen.
So do the Bahamas. Pre-clearance facilities promote tourism & economic growth in neighboring countries by making more flights available to those countries. Without pre-clearance facilities flights are limited to designated locations with immigration facilities, and passenger on flights subjected to IROPS effectively are quarantined under guard until they can be delivered to their original destination to be processed by immigration.

Pre-clearance facilities are win-win all the way around.

But with regard to our 51st state, the annexation is long overdue. How should we arrange the stars on the new flag?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: