FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Amarillo woman sues TSA for 2008 public-view (non virtual) strip search (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1135409-amarillo-woman-sues-tsa-2008-public-view-non-virtual-strip-search.html)

studentff Oct 11, 2010 6:33 am

Amarillo woman sues TSA for 2008 public-view (non virtual) strip search

Not sure if this ever got any press here:

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/...earch-indecent

An Amarillo woman is suing the federal government for intentional infliction of emotional distress after Transportation Security Administration agents allegedly humiliated the woman when her breasts were publicly exposed during an "extended search" two years ago at a Corpus Christi airport.

The suit, filed earlier this year in Amarillo's U.S. District Court, alleges the woman was singled out for "extended search procedures" while preparing to board an aircraft destined for Amarillo on May 29, 2008.

"As the TSA agent was frisking plaintiff, the agent pulled the plaintiff's blouse completely down, exposing plaintiffs' breasts to everyone in the area," the lawsuit said. "As would be expected, plaintiff was extremely embarrassed and humiliated."

The suit said the woman filed an administrative claim against the TSA, but the agency never responded, sparking the lawsuit.

The suit also claims that other TSA employees continued to joke and laugh about the incident for an extended period of time. The woman was distraught over the incident and left the screening area so an acquaintance could console her, the suit said.

When the woman re-entered the boarding area, employees once again began joking about the matter, the suit said.

"One male TSA employee expressed to the plaintiff that he wished he would have been there when she came through the first time and that 'he would just have to watch the video,'" the suit said.
The story sounds extremely credible to me because it is consistent with prior reports of TSA/TSO actions at incidents like these, specifically TSOs joking about the situation and the TSA ignoring an administrative complaint.

IMO the TSOs that did this should be criminally charged and bankrupted with punitive damages. Same with their supervisors up at least 3-4 levels. And the bureaucrats who ignored the administrative complaint and their supervisors. This scum is not worthy of being American, and IMO every TSO who does not personally stand up and condemn what happened is guilty as an accessory. Until you weed these people out of your ranks and TSA institutes some real, transparent, accountability, none of you have any credibility or deserve any respect. When TSO's wonder why many people hate them, they should think of this and the countless other similar incidents (nipple ring incident, abuse of the disabled, etc).

It's long past time for this agency to be disbanded.

bluenotesro Oct 11, 2010 6:41 am

Absolutely disgusting scum:mad:

The only thing they deserve is to be bankrupted, shamed in public, and thrown in a dungeon for the rest of their natural lives. And that goes for everyone up the chain of command at the airport.

I pray this woman will win and the downfall of the TSA finally begins. Hey Nappy, got your resume updated????

Boggie Dog Oct 11, 2010 6:55 am

I don't know what elements are required to make a charge of sexual assault but in my book this would qualify if the event happened as reported.

TSA employees who engage in wrong doing need to be held accountable against individual criminal charges.

I'm betting there are some cells free in Guantanamo.

Global_Hi_Flyer Oct 11, 2010 7:31 am

Criminal prosecution is too good for these folks. But it will not happen now that the virtual strip-search is legitimized.

This in particular caught my eye:

The suit also claims that other TSA employees continued to joke and laugh about the incident for an extended period of time.
Aside from the Negrin case, we've barely scratched the surface on the catcalls, joking, laughing, and talking about it that TSA screeners will engage in with the virtual strip-searches. Stuff like this makes those screeners (and propagandists) that say "privacy will be assured" and "procedures are in place" look like liars.

I've long said that it'll take lawsuits to spur change. While TSA will hide the facts behind "SSI" to try and keep embarrassing stuff from coming out, the more this happens the greater the chance that it WILL come out. SSI, like real classification, is NEVER supposed to be used to hid potentially embarrassing data. I'm not sure TSA understands that.

FliesWay2Much Oct 11, 2010 7:43 am

"One male TSA employee expressed to the plaintiff that he wished he would have been there when she came through the first time and that 'he would just have to watch the video,'" the suit said.
Even after this comment, I"ll be the TSA will still claim that the checkpoint video is "unavailable."

This will never see the light of day on PV unless we take the initiative.

unLogical Oct 11, 2010 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer (Post 14923281)
Criminal prosecution is too good for these folks. But it will not happen now that the virtual strip-search is legitimized.

This in particular caught my eye:

Aside from the Negrin case, we've barely scratched the surface on the catcalls, joking, laughing, and talking about it that TSA screeners will engage in with the virtual strip-searches. Stuff like this makes those screeners (and propagandists) that say "privacy will be assured" and "procedures are in place" look like liars.

I've long said that it'll take lawsuits to spur change. While TSA will hide the facts behind "SSI" to try and keep embarrassing stuff from coming out, the more this happens the greater the chance that it WILL come out. SSI, like real classification, is NEVER supposed to be used to hid potentially embarrassing data. I'm not sure TSA understands that.

Agreed. If the TSA wants to be treated like professionals, they need to act professionally. It is a basic concept that seems to be forgotten or ignored.

doober Oct 11, 2010 7:56 am

Hopefully, the woman has witnesses.

fs2k2isfun Oct 11, 2010 8:16 am

There are no non-stop flights CRP-AMA. I suspect she was flying to DFW/IAH/HOU first. I truly hope none of the other facts in the article are false.

InkUnderNails Oct 11, 2010 8:35 am

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun (Post 14923516)
There are no non-stop flights CRP-AMA. I suspect she was flying to DFW/IAH/HOU first. I truly hope none of the other facts in the article are false.

WN 388 is ticketed through with two stops as the same flight number as there are no plane changes.

Global_Hi_Flyer Oct 11, 2010 8:38 am

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun (Post 14923516)

Do you know that for a fact on the date of the flight in May 2008? Is your conclusion based on today's flight schedules?

studentff Oct 11, 2010 9:05 am

Not that it matters one iota to the credibility of her story, but flight 0024 was operated by WN on 5/29/2008 on aircraft N769SW departing CRP @ 1145 for HOU, then DAL, eventually arriving AMA @ 1526. (source bts.gov) But IMO it is not a significant inaccuracy in the story if she was flying one of other numerous non-"direct" flight combinations that day.

I do wonder if she has pursued sexual assault charges against the screener(s) involved, or if she has not, why. Branding a TSO a sex offender and forcing them to register and live under those restrictions for the rest of their life might be more satisfying than a $ settlement, though she is well within her rights to pursue both. That would be a real deterrent to this sort of behavior by TSOs. If she has another witness, it would seem a good case. Maybe the cops or DA were pressured by TSA to drop the issue.

N965VJ Oct 11, 2010 9:15 am

Just remember, these are the same screening clerks that will be sitting alone in the Nude-O-Scope booth. :eek:

IslandBased Oct 11, 2010 9:20 am

Originally Posted by unLogical (Post 14923386)
Agreed. If the TSA wants to be treated like professionals, they need to act professionally. It is a basic concept that seems to be forgotten or ignored.

^^

And it starts at the top.

n4zhg Oct 11, 2010 9:55 am

Originally Posted by bluenotesro (Post 14923084)
Absolutely disgusting scum:mad:

The only thing they deserve is to be bankrupted, shamed in public, and thrown in a dungeon for the rest of their natural lives. And that goes for everyone up the chain of command at the airport.

Way too lenient. Geld them and brand them, and don't waste any money on non-necessities like anesthesia or pain killers.

When they recover, weld an iron collar around their necks and sell them to some oil sheik in Saudi Arabia as harem guards. Ditto all male offspring. The daughters/wives can be part of the harem.

MikeMpls Oct 11, 2010 10:51 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 14923841)

Or several of the them, no doubt "laughing and joking". After all, they've been professionalized.

The recent example from Nigeria shows what happens when a bunch of ill-manner, ill-disciplined idiots are given access to the viewing room.