Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Herd of belligerent TSOs spotted at ORD T5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MissRoseDarrensAngel
The only time I've been to O'hare and this was a few years ago, I remember many of the TSA people practically barking orders out to people.

The problem is many of the passengers don't bother to read any signs around up about taking off shoes, removing coats, etc. That is what I was noticing.
ORD also has many passengers from outside the US, where security theatre is not practiced. The shoe exercise (as well as removing sweaters, cardigans, etc) is a US invention. People who travel outside the US don't have to play that game and may not be familiar with it. And some of the signs are contradictory or just plain wrong. I have had many conversations in German or French with international travellers who have to be reminded of the 'unique' aspects of TSA.

Other airports may have a video playing, specific to that airport. Combine the video with the TSA barking and it can become extremely overwhelming, especially to an infrequent traveller or one who does not speak English as their primary langugage.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold
The problem is many of the passengers...
No, that is NOT the problem. The problem lies with TSA and Congress.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
File a complaint. The TSA gespatos are like Nazi's at ORD so I am not surprised.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:09 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by sky74
I wrote a complaint to the e-mail address listed on the TSA website, but does anyone ever read and respond to those?
Call them. 1-866-289-9673. The phone people work weekdays, from 8-7 I believe, Eastern Time. This is more effective than email.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
People who travel outside the US don't have to play that game
Yes, you're almost treated like a human when you fly! I lived in the US for many years, and on the occasions when I think about taking a job back there, the airport experience on the way to and from the interview is not a big selling point.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: various
The only time I've been to O'hare and this was a few years ago, I remember many of the TSA people practically barking orders out to people.

The problem is many of the passengers don't bother to read any signs around up about taking off shoes, removing coats, etc. That is what I was noticing.
Not to mention that EVERY airport in the USA seems to have TSO's that invent their own versions of what a passenger must do to comply. When you get a new screamer yelling something completely different from what the previous airport with a different screamer yelled at you, it gets confusing. It really doesn't seem to matter what the signs say.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jiejie
Not to mention that EVERY airport in the USA seems to have TSO's that invent their own versions of what a passenger must do to comply. When you get a new screamer yelling something completely different from what the previous airport with a different screamer yelled at you, it gets confusing. It really doesn't seem to matter what the signs say.
As TSORon said, "Every Airport is Different"
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
Or when the TSOs demand that one removes ones only item of clothing on the upper body. I don't consider a sweater a 'coat', but there are several reports of people being ordered to do so (me included) even when they have nothing on underneath.

The standard defintion of 'coat' and 'outerwear' seem to vary greatly from TSA definition of the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.