Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New TSA Rules Announcement at End of Month (October 2010)??

Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

Heard a rumor there would be a change for the worse in TSA Security Procedures to be announced around the end of the month. The comment was hinted that it would effect frequent travelers. I hope they were mistaken.

Has anyone else heard something similar????
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Anything TSA does affects frequent travelers disproportionately. That said, one of the TSA participants here hinted as such.

Given that the holidays are coming up, I would not be surprised at all if the TSA instituted more invasive harassment of travelers. I would also not be surprised at all if the strip-search machines were made mandatory in the same way as presenting ID (or going through a lengthy verification) became mandatory. "Out of an abundance of caution to 'protect' us".
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
TSA never changes for the better, so this would not be a surprise.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Anything TSA does affects frequent travelers disproportionately. That said, one of the TSA participants here hinted as such.

Given that the holidays are coming up, I would not be surprised at all if the TSA instituted more invasive harassment of travelers. I would also not be surprised at all if the strip-search machines were made mandatory in the same way as presenting ID (or going through a lengthy verification) became mandatory. "Out of an abundance of caution to 'protect' us".
If that ever happens I won't be needing my "great " flight benefits any more. They (TSA) can can shove up their you know whats
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Think Nov 1 is the date that Secure Flight Data has to be on the reservations. Airlines are already searching for tickets without it.

American Airlines on Sept. 15 began inhibiting tickets in the absence of complete Secure Flight data for all bookings for travel on or after Nov. 1. "For bookings and ticketed reservations made prior to September 15, 2010, for travel November 1, 2010 and beyond that do not contain Secure Flight passenger data ... American has implemented a 'search and send' software application that searches its database to look for reservations that do not contain Secure Flight passenger data (SFPD)," according to the carrier's Web site. "Reservations without SFPD are sent to an agency queue for the immediate addition of SFPD into the reservation."

United Airlines on its Web site wrote that it "reserves the right to cancel any" noncompliant reservation. Continental Airlines on its site explained that "failure [by travel agencies] to provide the required SFPD at least 72 hours prior to departure may result in a debit memo."
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:53 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zoolander
Heard a rumor there would be a change for the worse in TSA Security Procedures to be announced around the end of the month. The comment was hinted that it would effect frequent travelers. I hope they were mistaken.

Has anyone else heard something similar????
Intorduction of an actual trusted traveler scheme would be a possibility . . .
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ari
IIRC, TSA has publicly stated being against such programs from the start and made it incredibly difficult for the original RT programs (basically neutering them down to nothing more than "head of line" privilege). Not to say that the organization cannot change its course on this, just saying that I think it is unlikely.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
IIRC, TSA has publicly stated being against such programs from the start and made it incredibly difficult for the original RT programs (basically neutering them down to nothing more than "head of line" privilege). Not to say that the organization cannot change its course on this, just saying that I think it is unlikely.
+1. Highly unlikely.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:30 am

Safety through groping...

Originally Posted by Ari
Since TSA is based on "Suspect Everyone, Trust Nobody" they would have to reinvent themselves from the top down.

It is more likely they will introduce the Suspected Traveler program, with enhanced groping at all airports.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well whatever it is if they implement something new as well as they did the "Shoes on the Belt" deal we will have plenty of discussion material for months to come.

Incompetence is TSA's trademark.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:34 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe they will make the NoS mandatory . . .
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ari
I am betting on mandatory pat-downs of all travelers, regardless of whether NoS is made primary.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Ari
You do have to wonder when that will occur.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer

Maybe AIT will become mandatory for the elite/expert lane. If you opt-out for any reason, including medical inability, you will not be allowed to use the elite lines.

Originally Posted by Ari
It would be great (GE = no shoes off, for example), but SATTSO made it clear that there were going to be unhappy poeple too.

I can't see who would be seriously unhappy about a trusted traveller program. I can certainly see who would be unhappy about making AIT primary/mandatory.

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I am betting on mandatory pat-downs of all travelers, regardless of whether NoS is made primary.
Also a good possibility.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Maybe AIT will become mandatory for the elite/expert lane. If you opt-out for any reason, including medical inability, you will not be allowed to use the elite lines.
I don't know if they could actually do that.

First, isn't the arrangement of lines none of TSA's business? I thought they only controlled from their useless document checker inward, and that the line setup was the airline/airport responsibility to determine.

Second, excluding elite travelers with medical problems from using the elite lines could be construed as something that violates equal treatment. Think of it this way: a non-handicapped elite traveler gets to use the elite lines, but a handicapped elite traveler doesn't. In this sense, wouldn't it somehow violate the ADA? I'll leave that to the lawyers who frequent this forum to comment further.

This has me very nervous, as I was contemplating finally biting the bullet and getting onto a plane for the first time in a long while at the end of this month. I guess now I'm going to rethink purchasing those tickets after all. TSA is yet again the cause of lost revenue for airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.