Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To be fair: Not everybody hates the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by JSmith1969
For instance, an IQ higher than room temperature.
Farenheit or Celcius?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eyecue
Since I am reading about a lot of people saying that they work closely with aviation and everyone that they talk to in their circles tell them that they hate TSA. I have started to ask people that I work around about TSA. I have asked pilots, flight attendants, vendors etc. While I have gotten some interesting responses, NOT one of them has said anything close to what some of you are saying. The very constitution that you say is being trashed when you fly is also the basis for which TSA has to do some of what it does.
My brother is a commerical pilot. I can't repeat on a public forum what he tells me about TSA, both his opinion and those of his colleagues.

What part of the Constitution empowers TSA?

Originally Posted by exbayern
I don't believe that the vast majority of posters here woke up one day and decided that they didn't like TSA. Something drove most people to that point. TSA didn't earn its reputation by being polite and respectful and logical and effective.

I don't believe that Argenbright had the same reputation, nor does airport security in most other countries have the same reputation.
^^

Recently, Mrs. Halls120 and I have embarked on a new tactic at the checkpoint. We actually try to make eye contact with sullen and disgruntled TSO's and engage them in conversation. three out of four times all we get is a grunt in return.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
I'm at the Norm Mineta Memorial San Jose Airport right now. And yes, I did say "Thank You" to the TSA.

Not because I think what they do is the most efficient, reasonable way to secure our airports. But because these particular individuals treated passengers with respect, patience.

And more important, they didn't make me put my To Boot New York shoes on the belt (I'm wearing these: http://amzn.to/bYaEFS ) and they didn't steal my pills (Modafinal/Provigil, which can go for $10 a pop on the black market ). For that, I thank them.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reamworks
I'm at the Norm Mineta Memorial San Jose Airport right now. And yes, I did say "Thank You" to the TSA.

Not because I think what they do is the most efficient, reasonable way to secure our airports. But because these particular individuals treated passengers with respect, patience.

And more important, they didn't make me put my To Boot New York shoes on the belt (I'm wearing these: http://amzn.to/bYaEFS ) and they didn't steal my pills (Modafinal/Provigil, which can go for $10 a pop on the black market ). For that, I thank them.
Yes, you should be thankful for not being robbed or having your belongings damaged at a TSA checkpoint.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by reamworks

I would suggest we've reached a new low when we have to thank civil servants for acting with respect to the public, for doing their jobs properly, and/or for abstaining from theft.

~~ Irish
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by SATTSO
Nah. I'm sure he will be back.

However, it does amaze me at the absolute arrogance here (NOT talking about you, CM, just in general). Despite what you think I and other employees are thanked on a daily basis. It does NOT mean everyone who thanks me agrees with all TSA policy; I would bet they do not.

But what amazes me is how the collective you dismiss such people, as I've seen you do so many times in other threads. I guess not many of you can actually see someone saying/believing "I don't agree with this policy, in fact I think it's stupid, but i support TSA in overall".

Just read through the threads where the FT community talks about the comments people make supportive of TSA in the media - contempt, dismissal, disdain.

Believe it or not, not everyone agrees with you. And surprising, they do not have to agree with you.
Are you really that gullable. I have said nice things to TSA! Why? It is simple, to grease the path! That is all! I want to go through without a hassle and if a kind word gets that accomplished, I can say it. Even if it is to an uneducated brainwashed governmental freedom taker employed by the Terrorist Support Agency!!!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by birdstrike
That may be true for some, but I have hated the TSA from Day One. They were created in haste to serve a political agenda, not a security need. A week after 9/11 people everywhere were driving around with American flags fluttering from their vehicles and thus began the national insanity that has lasted to this day.

Almost ten years on and the TSA has nothing to show for the billions of dollars that have been wasted on them.

So, yes, I can believe the flag wavers politely say "That you for protecting me", but they don't know they have been had. The truly sad part of this, is even when TSA is finally revealed to have no clothes, there will still be no righteous anger. They will go with a whimper, not a bang.

When we're out of Afghanistan and the jihadi rhetoric has nothing left on which to feed, the TSA budget will be slowly siphoned away for other pet projects. Then will come the call to privatize and Argenbrite will quietly take back the reins.
I totally agree with every word here. The first paragraph should be repeated daily, at least!

Bruce
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by exbayern
OP's survey seems to me like asking around in the office from colleagues 'Do you like me?' That puts people in the position of having to decide if they wish to be honest, or to continue to have a future good working relationship with the person.

In OP's case, as they are in a position of authority over the survey respondents, it is akin to the boss asking the subordinates 'Do you like me?' How does one expect the respondents to answer that question?

In fact, I believe that there may have been an episode of The Office centred around this very scenario.
I see it more like an armed LEO standing there, hand on holster, asking the driver of a car he just pulled over for speeding: "do you like and respect me?"
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
Really? Have you ever read the constitution? Clearly you have not because a) nothing in the constitution in anyway provides the basis for what the TSA does. b) the constitution mostly defines protections from government rather than defines things government can, should or must do.

Let me guess, public school?
Let me guess, another elitist TS&S poster?

TB

Originally Posted by JSmith1969
For instance, an IQ higher than room temperature.
That sword should cut both ways...if that were indeed a requirement for posting to TS&S, I'm sure we would have a bit less "traffic."

TB

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 6, 2010 at 4:31 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TerminalBliss
That sword should cut both ways...if that were indeed a requirement for posting to TS&S, I'm sure we would have a bit less "traffic."

TB
Particularly from 'Anonymous' and other blog posters who are allegedly TSOs.

Why would alleged TSOs continually advise passengers to read the website so they can know what to expect at the checkpoint and be prepared? Why would they say this when passengers are routinely told at the checkpoint that the website is wrong or out-of-date?

For that matter, why do the moderators allow these posts to stand uncorrected? Because there are so many of them?

Nothing like going to the blog and seeing posts by some of TSA's 'finest' displaying ignorance of their agency's posted rules and contempt for passengers.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: United
Well, eyecue hasn't been online since the 2nd so it seems like this was a post and run. That's a shame, I really want to know where the constitution authorizes the TSA.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Well, eyecue hasn't been online since the 2nd so it seems like this was a post and run. That's a shame, I really want to know where the constitution authorizes the TSA.
I'd love to hear his almost certainly delusional answer. In another post he states the Constitution doesn't apply to the TSA.

It [TSA searching] is an administrative action and not subject to the 4th ammendment.
And that we don't have the right to fly "on a whim"...

You are free to move around by walking and driving. You dont have the right to take a plane at your whim.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vecturist14
Farenheit or Celcius?
First one, then the other...
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Pretty sad that a person won't even show the backbone to support their position.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Pretty sad that a person won't even show the backbone to support their position.
Especially when he is the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.