Wiki Posts
Search

TSA cuts off a TSA approved lock.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
TSA cuts off a TSA approved lock.

On my last trip, the TSA cut off my TSA approved lock when they searched my bag.

From my bag, a towel went missing and a tag from a pair of pants from Sears appeared in my bag.

Is it possible to get reimbursement from the TSA for my unduly cut lock and missing towel?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:17 am

And you know it was TSA because?? There are other folks who can handle your bag between point a and point b.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
You can try, but this happens all the time. They will most likely claim that they needed a look inside your bag, and the lock wasn't working, or some other boiler plate response...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It is very common for them to cut them off, I just stopped using them for that reason. Of course, I believe many of the ones you see on the auction sites were removed along the way from baggage check to claim by somebody (not just the TSA) and are just being resold because they are not easily traceable and not worth making much of a fuss over.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jampa
And you know it was TSA because?? There are other folks who can handle your bag between point a and point b.
Well I don't specifically know if it was the TSA. It is reasonable to assume that since the TSA search bags and I found a "your bag has been searched" card. Since their policy is to cut open locks that aren't TSA approved it isn't hard to draw a conclusion from that.

I guess an email can't hurt.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:44 pm

Small camera and/or microphone on/in the bag to catch the theives?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
On my last trip, the TSA cut off my TSA approved lock when they searched my bag.

From my bag, a towel went missing and a tag from a pair of pants from Sears appeared in my bag.

Is it possible to get reimbursement from the TSA for my unduly cut lock and missing towel?
that must be one helluva towel....
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wuds
that must be one helluva towel....
Does it matter what kind of towel it was?

The bag was screened by TSA and all items not returned and some added.

This is an ongoing problem and TSA needs to fix it.

Get and manage the fricking keys, require proper and respectful treatment of peoples belongings and be accountable when things go wrong.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

The bag was screened by TSA and all items not returned and some added.

This is an ongoing problem and TSA needs to fix it.

Get and manage the fricking keys, require proper and respectful treatment of peoples belongings and be accountable when things go wrong.
While you're at it, ask for a million dollars and a pony.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FXWizard
While you're at it, ask for a million dollars and a pony.
I don't know how it is where you work but I require my employees to do the job they are being paid for. If they can't perform that job correctly then we have a simple solution.

TSA should be no different.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:37 pm

I actually had the TSA grant a claim I made. I still have the paperwork. They simply never paid it.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by khurley
I actually had the TSA grant a claim I made. I still have the paperwork. They simply never paid it.
it would have been better if they actually had paid it and then had the check bounce as that is actually a very serious offense
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

The bag was screened by TSA and all items not returned and some added
Exactly this. Thank you.

I could care less about monetary reimbursement (but it would be a bonus)
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
I believe many of the ones you see on the auction sites were removed along the way from baggage check to claim by somebody (not just the TSA) and are just being resold because they are not easily traceable and not worth making much of a fuss over.
Are they sold with the universal key? What about combination locks? I'm not sure how this would work or be cost effective.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Been there done that. File a claim. If the claim is accepted you get another form for the payment. Fill that form out and wait for the money to roll in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.