How do you put your shoes back on?

Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I was traveling through SAT today and went through the normal screening process. I travel light, but I have a lot of items in their own bins. I dump out the laptop and then scan the bag. I take off my shoes, the place the CPAP in a bin and scan the bag. I do this so I can be out of the way when the CPAP screening is done. Today I was putting on my shoes alongside the metal table where you collecty your items. I lifted my foot to the edge of the table to tie my shoe and the TSA agent gave me the dirtiest of looks and told me not to do it. Here they were not even changing gloves to handle a medical device that goes into my mouth and they were griping about the fact I didn't sit on the floor to tie my shoes?! They created this nonsense situation in the first place!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:24 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by clark_addison
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I was traveling through SAT today and went through the normal screening process. I travel light, but I have a lot of items in their own bins. I dump out the laptop and then scan the bag. I take off my shoes, the place the CPAP in a bin and scan the bag. I do this so I can be out of the way when the CPAP screening is done. Today I was putting on my shoes alongside the metal table where you collecty your items. I lifted my foot to the edge of the table to tie my shoe and the TSA agent gave me the dirtiest of looks and told me not to do it. Here they were not even changing gloves to handle a medical device that goes into my mouth and they were griping about the fact I didn't sit on the floor to tie my shoes?! They created this nonsense situation in the first place!
Tell them to go pound sand.

"Don't like where I put my shoes back on? Don't make me take them off."

(add a pejorative if you like)
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i sorta sit on the table when there isn't a close chair....i don't remember ever beenasked not to do it....
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clacko
i sorta sit on the table when there isn't a close chair....i don't remember ever been asked not to do it....
I'm with Spiff. I sit on the edge of the inbound table and take them off as the very last thing. I walk through and grab my shoes first and sit on the edge of the outbound table to put them back on ASAP and then put my feet up on the edge of the roller table to tie my shoes again. I get cold stares from screeners from time to time, but... too bad.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by clark_addison

I'd have told them I'll take my foot down as soon as you change your gloves and clean your table before you touch my CPAP.

One day I'm gonna get put on a list...I so see it coming. lol
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I put them on as they come out. My "trick" is that when taking them off I undo the laces so they are very loose. That way they are easy to slip back on. I redo the laces after collecting the rest of my crap which is typically at a near by bench or at the gate.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:18 pm

I grab my stuff, and walk to the bench and put my shoes back on in the winter (boots). If I had to tie my shoes, I wouldn't block everybody behind me regardless of how TSA feels about it....
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:37 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
just ignore them and do what you want to make it easier and comfortable in putting your shoes back on. yes, this is from the one who does not take off his orthopedic shoes but simply put, there is no requirement as to how you take your shoes of and/or put hem back on-only that they be properly screened either by x-ray or by edt swab.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by clacko
i sorta sit on the table when there isn't a close chair....i don't remember ever beenasked not to do it....
He didn't sit on the table, he put his foot on it. And i would tell him toremove his foot too. And i have every right to have him remove his foot. The tables are for screening - and yes, I have gotten a LEO when a pax refused to get off a table. Pax lost that one.

But for those of you who do not know, both checkpoints at SAT have multiple chairs, MANY more chairs just a few feet further (and yes, it's surprising hiw many many people don't see those chairs even though they are in plain sight). And we have provided benches at both checkpoint. I often see people sitting on the ground to put on their shoes, and when I point out the chairs or benches to them, it's only then they realize they are there are available. Hidden out in the open, I guess....
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:49 pm

I don't think the tables are bolted to the floor either, from what I have seen going through checkpoints. Seems to me that it would be a safety issue. I know I wouldn't want to do a faceplant into one of those tables if it were to shift.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff

That wouldn't work, Spiff. I know, because I've had a passenger tell me that. And here is why, even if you don't like it. The tables are for screening, and if I need to screen another passengers property, you are now interfering with the screening process. In the situation I was involved in the LEO backed me up, and the passenger received a warning from the LEO.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
A gentleman never puts his feet on the table.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff

This times 1000

If its Ok for the rest of the WORLD to go through security with our shoes on, then why we have to walk around a filthy checkpoint in our sock feet in the US is rediculous at best and asinine at worst.

And SATTSO, a little courtesy goes a long way, you might try it sometime, even when a pax gives you a touch of lip. I pay your salary, so I suggest you take the commentary out of your repertoire. Until the TSA gets its heads out of its collective 4 point contact about shoes, pax are gonna gripe about it. And I don't blame us.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by mikemey
This times 1000

If its Ok for the rest of the WORLD to go through security with our shoes on, then why we have to walk around a filthy checkpoint in our sock feet in the US is rediculous at best and asinine at worst.

And SATTSO, a little courtesy goes a long way, you might try it sometime, even when a pax gives you a touch of lip. I pay your salary, so I suggest you take the commentary out of your repertoire. Until the TSA gets its heads out of its collective 4 point contact about shoes, pax are gonna gripe about it. And I don't blame us.
Um I pay my salary too. So do other TSA employees. Sorry, that flawed argument doesn't really work.

And who said i was rude? There are many different ways to ask people to remove their feet from a table.

And you bring up courtesy...feet on the table....hmmm
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Um I pay my salary too. So do other TSA employees. Sorry, that flawed argument doesn't really work.

And who said i was rude? There are many different ways to ask people to remove their feet from a table.

And you bring up courtesy...feet on the table....hmmm
I could comment, but I'll bite my tongue - its like being in a checkpoint.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.