Community
Wiki Posts
Search

22" Rollerboard carry-ons & TSA agents

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by SATTSO
The same reason the amount of people allowed through the checkpoint is limited - and as a LEO you should understand why.
I've never heard of, and cannot understand why (with one exception) there would be a limit in the number of people allowed through a checkpoint. The airlines are "in charge" of how many flights and, more important, the number of passengers on each. Thus the total number of people which must be allowed through is that sum total plus crew and airport staff. I don't understand how TSA can even think of trying to limit air commerce in such a manner.

(And the only exception I can see is maximum occupancy limits of a building as established by fire authorities .... but then again I've never heard of TSA enforcing fire laws/rules.)
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
Actually, it's been part of the job description for some years; for the most part we simply do not enforce it. Why limit size of bags and amount of bags for security? The same reason the amount of people allowed through the checkpoint is limited - and as a LEO you should understand why.

The only time I have really seen this enforced is when the bag us clearly meant for checked-in luggage, or if the person has far too many bags.
Or, as I originally stated, the TSO is being retaliatory because I walked around the kettles as they were pondering their next move with their big gulps.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
No need - you suffered enough
That's hilarious!

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
That's kinda like having to stand up the first time at a 12 step program, eh.
That's good too!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 18, 2010 at 12:00 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by castrobenes
Although current policy is that TSA does not enforce baggage size limits, there is a planned changed to allow this to be FSD discretion.
Great. More distractions from the first order of business for screeners.

Actually, it's been part of the job description for some years; for the most part we simply do not enforce it. Why limit size of bags and amount of bags for security? The same reason the amount of people allowed through the checkpoint is limited - and as a LEO you should understand why.
So someone will just keep re-entering the CP until they have all their bags, leaving them with a colleague airside. Meanwhile, the Red Team scores tank since the screeners are distracted counting onesies twosies.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:17 pm

There actually does exist a TSA regulation for the size of the carry-on bag allowed through the checkpoint, and I think for pretty good reason.
Originally Posted by castrobenes
Although current policy is that TSA does not enforce baggage size limits, there is a planned changed to allow this to be FSD discretion.
It's either policy or isn't.

Please double check that your SOP actually states in writing that TSA does not allow bags of certain dimensions past the security checkpoint. If it really is there, I don't think it would break any SSI rules to state what chapter to look in. Since this website is visited by several employees, it shouldn't be hard to verify.

As long as items fit through the x-ray tunnel, I've never seen TSA whip out their measuring tape to enforce any type of dimension rules. If an airline had a size issue with a bag that already passed security, they can gate check it as the person boarded the aircraft. It's the airline's decision/discretion anyway, and each airline has their own size standards. FA's can handle it.

Because of past events, I can see how the govt bigwigs might view shoes and liquids as threats to security. Most of the rules are reactions to singular events. So until a terrorist tries something funny with a bag that's just a little too big, I don't see why TSA should be involved.

For the record, the OP's bag is within the guidelines of most carriers:
http://www.luggageonline.com/about_airlines.cfm
If the OP's Victorinox was either the Werks or Mobilizer models (9"x14"x22"), the dimensions would have fit within AA's 45 linear inch allowance. If it had been the E-Motion, it would have been two inches over. But that would have been a quick-fix by removing the detachable day bag.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Tell the TSA that your airline did not request to check the bag, so if the TSA has an issue then they need to address it with your airline. Only airline I remember restricting the size of carry-on baggage at security was UA and they eventually stopped the practice.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, LT Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA 1MM
I have read all of the responses to the OP and I guess I am missing something! What does the size of the bag or how many bags matter in the safety and security of the aircraft and airport? Isn't the Safety and Security of the planes and airport the TSA mission?

What this says to me is that because TSA can't find Terrorists or Bombs or weapons they are going to do "busy" work by telling travellers that their bag is too big or they have too many carry ons. I can only guess that this will make the TSO feel like they are being "productive". If this is the case, let them go and refuel the planes or take bags off so they can feel really productive.

I would rather have the bags go through the xray and know they were looked at vs. going down below in the terminal where who knows what happens.

I am tired of being treated like a criminal when I go to the airport.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbru
I have read all of the responses to the OP and I guess I am missing something! What does the size of the bag or how many bags matter in the safety and security of the aircraft and airport? Isn't the Safety and Security of the planes and airport the TSA mission?

What this says to me is that because TSA can't find Terrorists or Bombs or weapons they are going to do "busy" work by telling travellers that their bag is too big or they have too many carry ons. I can only guess that this will make the TSO feel like they are being "productive". If this is the case, let them go and refuel the planes or take bags off so they can feel really productive.

I would rather have the bags go through the xray and know they were looked at vs. going down below in the terminal where who knows what happens.

Act One, opening screen.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG

Great post. How about we give them the valet parking concession.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:16 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation

What this says to me is that because TSA can't find Terrorists or Bombs or weapons they are going to do "busy" work by telling travellers that their bag is too big or they have too many carry ons. I can only guess that this will make the TSO feel like they are being "productive". If this is the case, let them go and refuel the planes . . . so they can feel really productive.
Originally Posted by chugger1
Do you guys really want them fueling the plane that is going to take you over the Pacific or driving your ride?!?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:43 pm

Or, as I originally stated, the TSO is being retaliatory because I walked around the kettles as they were pondering their next move with their big gulps.
Understood, but i wasn't actually commenting on why it happened, just that TSA does have that regulation.

Originally Posted by Batmanuel
It's either policy or isn't.

Please double check that your SOP actually states in writing that TSA does not allow bags of certain dimensions past the security checkpoint. If it really is there, I don't think it would break any SSI rules to state what chapter to look in. Since this website is visited by several employees, it shouldn't be hard to verify.

As long as items fit through the x-ray tunnel, I've never seen TSA whip out their measuring tape to enforce any type of dimension rules. If an airline had a size issue with a bag that already passed security, they can gate check it as the person boarded the aircraft. It's the airline's decision/discretion anyway, and each airline has their own size standards. FA's can handle it.

Because of past events, I can see how the govt bigwigs might view shoes and liquids as threats to security. Most of the rules are reactions to singular events. So until a terrorist tries something funny with a bag that's just a little too big, I don't see why TSA should be involved.

For the record, the OP's bag is within the guidelines of most carriers:
http://www.luggageonline.com/about_airlines.cfm
If the OP's Victorinox was either the Werks or Mobilizer models (9"x14"x22"), the dimensions would have fit within AA's 45 linear inch allowance. If it had been the E-Motion, it would have been two inches over. But that would have been a quick-fix by removing the detachable day bag.
What is or isn't policy? That TSA has a regulation governing the size and limit of bags? Or that TSA does not currently enforce this policy? I do not see that Castro and I said conflicting statements; you may read it that way, though.

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I've never heard of, and cannot understand why (with one exception) there would be a limit in the number of people allowed through a checkpoint. The airlines are "in charge" of how many flights and, more important, the number of passengers on each. Thus the total number of people which must be allowed through is that sum total plus crew and airport staff. I don't understand how TSA can even think of trying to limit air commerce in such a manner.

(And the only exception I can see is maximum occupancy limits of a building as established by fire authorities .... but then again I've never heard of TSA enforcing fire laws/rules.)
Its about time constraints. Doesn't mean you have to approve the policy, but there it is. Or I'll explain it this way - and it's sure to piss some of ya off - when TSA was first established and until recently there was a great deal or pressure on the time it took to get people through the checkpoint. Each hour has but 60 minutes, whether you screen 200 people or 200 people and their families/friends to see them off. Screening every passenger and their family/friends was simply too time consuming; it would cause many people to miss their flights. The decision was made to only allow people who had a need to go to the gates to do so, and the airlines could issue gate passes to non-passengers on a case by case basis. Note, this policy was decided before the required removal of shoes or the WBIs.

I have read many of you complain of "kettles", as they are called, who haven't a clue and slow down the process. Now imagine they had their entire extended family with them. Or they clogged up the diamond/express lane as 20 people went down to the gate to see 1 person off.

I think it is a good policy to limit the amount of people through a checkpoint (again, even before the shoe policy, etc). How much slower would checkpoints be if this policy was not in place?

Anyways, attack away!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 18, 2010 at 12:02 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 18, 2010, 1:04 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I recall suggesting porterage in another thread...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
I notice that our TSO posters are still glossing over the multiple requests for the "TSA size limits" that have now been requested by multiple people. Nice to see US government representatives being responsive to the citizens and travelers in the US.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I notice that our TSO posters are still glossing over the multiple requests for the "TSA size limits" that have now been requested by multiple people. Nice to see US government representatives being responsive to the citizens and travelers in the US.
Aw come on DevilDog, you know this simple fact as well as I do:

The next time the US Government gives us a straight answer will be the first time.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Maybe I should check my copy of the unredacted screening manual, but it's probably something along the lines of being able to fit in the x-ray. Or it could be another case of "Some airports do. Some airports don't. Each airport is different."
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:02 am

Good thing I take a taxi to the airport. I wouldn't want the average TSO driving my car.

I wouldn't trust them with the keys to my gym locker, let alone a valuable piece of machinery like my car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.