Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Canadians bristled at intrusive airport searches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: meh

From CTV this morning:
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...laints-101124/

Bras were revealed, artificial joints probed and flesh squeezed, prompting scores of complaints last year from disgruntled Canadians subjected to physical searches at airports across the country.
Nice to know that CATSA isn't getting out of the furor without at least a little bit of criticism.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...te-ottawa?bn=1

and our politicians can bend the truth as much as the best of them.

Canadian airport screeners have no plans to introduce the kind of “provocative” pat-downs that have sparked protests and riled passengers at airports across the United States, Transport Minister Chuck Strahl says
ummm ... what do you call the pat down I got in September in YYZ?

“While the Americans have instituted a more intensive ... pat-down technique, that's not happening in Canada. ... They have no intention of doing that,” he said in the House of Commons' foyer.
but then goes on to contract himself

“We have obligations if we want to preclear people here in Canada who fly down to the United States that we have to meet Department of Homeland Security regulations,” Strahl said.”What we have to ensure is that we strike the right balance between being respectful, treating travellers properly ... while still ensuring that we get the security done,” he said.
just what, exactly, does pre-clearance have to do with security?

But if nothing else, I'm glad NOOD brought this issue into the Canadian media - at least we're starting to talk about it.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
An Air Canada flight attendant recounted her "demoralizing" June 2009 experience in Calgary, where she was examined in a private room.

"Can you name any occupation where you have to unzip your dress and show people your bra just to start your day of work? Is it a normal procedure to have a flight attendant strip just because their underwire bra beeps?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.