Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYT: Are Scanners Worth the Risk?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb NYT: Are Scanners Worth the Risk?

Are Scanners Worth the Risk?
By SUSAN STELLIN
Published: September 7, 2010

THE next time you go through security at the airport, you might be told to empty your pockets, put your hands over your head and stand still while an X-ray machine looks for anything hidden under your clothing.
The main concerns are how much radiation the scanners give off (the manufacturers say the amount is very low), whether the scanners might malfunction and emit more radiation than they are supposed to, and what the health effects may be for travelers. Since there is no precedent for routinely screening so many people with X-rays — other than in prisons — there are a lot of unknowns.

Another issue is that the devices haven’t been thoroughly tested. The T.S.A. claims that the machines have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health, the Commerce Department’s National Institute for Standards and Technology and the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. But when I called these organizations to ask about their evaluations, I learned that they basically tested only one thing — whether the amount of radiation emitted meets guidelines established by the American National Standards Institute, a membership organization of companies and government agencies.

But guess who was on the committee that developed the guidelines for the X-ray scanners? Representatives from the companies that make the machines and the Department of Homeland Security, among others. In other words, the machines passed a test developed, in part, by the companies that manufacture them and the government agency that wants to use them.
“It definitely didn’t feel optional at all,” said Drew Hjelm, an Army veteran who recently encountered the X-ray machine at O’Hare Airport in Chicago. After asking to go through the metal detector, being turned down and even speaking with a supervisor, he was given other choices.

“The officer said, either you go through the body scanner or you leave the airport or we’re going to call the police and they’re going to come and arrest you,” Mr. Hjelm said. “After I went through the body scanner, they still patted my pants down.”

Last edited by Xyzzy; Sep 8, 2010 at 6:54 am
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by The New York Times
“The officer said, either you go through the body scanner or you leave the airport or we’re going to call the police and they’re going to come and arrest you,” Mr. Hjelm said. “After I went through the body scanner, they still patted my pants down.”
So the genital-revealing examination using these strip search machines was not optional in order to travel?

It almost sounds like what the UK is threatening to do to passengers who refuse to submit to these obsolete pieces of junk that do who knows what if not properly calibrated and controlled.

Given the federal government has trouble making sure the toilets for White House staff don't overflow, so who is to say the "professional" TSA won't have trouble making sure the genital-revealing scanners are never overflowing with radiation"juice"?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:52 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
It definitely didn’t feel optional at all,” said Drew Hjelm, an Army veteran who recently encountered the X-ray machine at O’Hare Airport in Chicago. After asking to go through the metal detector, being turned down and even speaking with a supervisor, he was given other choices.

just sad. no other way to put it (other than we have yet another example of a tso who does know their job nor the rules )
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is perhaps the most well-researched article on this subject. The TSA spokesholes could only muster lame responses. Actually, I'm surprised they commented at all.

The other shoe which needs to fall is to put an end to the groping-style friskings which are now routine. This will be a harder nut to crack because there are no dollars involved as there is with the machines. Playing up and socializing the sexual assault and child molestation themes might work.

The TSA, I believe, has three options:

1. Ignore the criticism and press on;
2. Trot out talking heads to convince the public that all of this is for their own good. A spokeshole tried, but they need to do a full media blitz;
3. Announce that the "threat" has passed and that the machines or friskings will now only be used for secondary screenings.

Oh yeah -- also arm the screeners.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
They aren't even worth the cost.

Beside the cost of acquiring the machines and related items to implement the technology and related processes, there is the additional cost of maintaining the equipment (read: servicing the equipment and its connections); the additional labor costs to operate them and deal with more, more intimate physical searches; and also -- what many have ignored -- the costs of airports having to build/build-outs to meet TSA demands for space for these machines.

That last aspect is going to require the airports to borrow money to finance the building/build-out demands of the TSA.

It's also too bad the NYT didn't mention the "tampon paradox".
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“It definitely didn’t feel optional at all,” said Drew Hjelm, an Army veteran who recently encountered the X-ray machine at O’Hare Airport in Chicago. After asking to go through the metal detector, being turned down and even speaking with a supervisor, he was given other choices.

Winning the hearts and minds of the traveling public.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
“This is all done to keep the traveling public safe,” said Nicholas Kimball, a T.S.A. spokesman.
Well, isn't that a surprise
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
This is perhaps the most well-researched article on this subject. The TSA spokesholes could only muster lame responses. Actually, I'm surprised they commented at all.

The other shoe which needs to fall is to put an end to the groping-style friskings which are now routine. This will be a harder nut to crack because there are no dollars involved as there is with the machines. Playing up and socializing the sexual assault and child molestation themes might work.

The TSA, I believe, has three options:

1. Ignore the criticism and press on;
2. Trot out talking heads to convince the public that all of this is for their own good. A spokeshole tried, but they need to do a full media blitz;
3. Announce that the "threat" has passed and that the machines or friskings will now only be used for secondary screenings.

Oh yeah -- also arm the screeners.
I think this article is an indication of the heat TSA is taking on the Strip Search Machines even though it does not address the dangers of the Backscatter X-Ray variants.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...e-privacy.html
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:36 am
Suspended

The first comments sounds as if it came from a scanner who knows whereof he/she speaks.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:55 am

I just printed out color copies of TSA's own web page stating that it's optional and will be sure to have them with me for the next TSA moron who doesn't know his or her own job requirements & limitations.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fendertweed
I just printed out color copies of TSA's own web page stating that it's optional and will be sure to have them with me for the next TSA moron who doesn't know his or her own job requirements & limitations.
I think they know exactly what the parameters are.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
I think they know exactly what the parameters are.
Perhaps, but I'm just making my record in case I have to file a complaint, contact my elected officials, have them call the FSD or screening manager, etc.

If they're going to be willfully ignorant and abusive, I want to be able to document that it wasn't mere incompetence or ignorance.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Has this avatar piece been noticed here?

Even if the "new software" is installed, my concerns about whole procedure, including the potential for radiation damage, remain intact. I thought the NYT piece provided a very good summary of the situation.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Fark.com comments on the article.

Because, you know, it's only people who are on FT who don't like the scanner.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by LessO2
This one says it all:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.