Stupid Question: Why same sex pat-downs?

Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by trvlr64
I got to keep my lube too.
Did you use it to join the mile high club?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Originally Posted by Davidwnc
Did you use it to join the mile high club?
Oh that's a story for a different type of message board.

I will just say that I've had 2 EX's that worked for a certain airline I used to live on
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by castrobenes
Also female screeners have no desire to screen male passengers. Some might do it, but the vast majority would find it distasteful.
I'm guessing there are plenty of male screeners that are not happy with having to now grab some other guy's junk. In fact, one posted here they other day they were thinking of quitting because of the enhanced gropes.

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I'm not sure what would happen if Pat came through a checkpoint ...
Pat's had to deal with the TSA, but I'm not sure of the outcome.

Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
I don't think they dare let the passenger choose the sex of the groper. The perverts would mob the place.
The passenger has to be able to choose the gender of screener. Under TSA's policy the gender of the screener is the gender that the passenger presents themselves to me. Many transgender people reject the concept of binary gender and will consider themselves male one day and female another. They are entitled to a same-gender screener at all times.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTravel
Wow. This has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation or, at least, nothing to do with the sexual orientation of the screener. As I said, none of my business and I couldn't care less. It only has to do with my comfort level which is dictated by my sexual orientation. Because of my sexual orientation, my preference is that my private parts be touched only someone of the opposite gender. If a man does it, I'm not uncomfortable because I think he's getting off, but because I'm not comfortable with men touching my private parts.
It's odd that you should say "wow" that I talked about sexual orientation given that you made a point of discussing it in your original post. You brought that into the discussion. Others mentioned how it seems arbitrary that people of the same gender should screen you when gender can be changed or re-assigned. I thought I'd take that point further noting that you can't tell sexual orientation by looking at someone. Thus, having searches be done by what people claim as the opposite of their sexual orientation would just get onerous. To boot, the same sex thing is as much to help the screeners as anyone. A younger, rather attractive woman in the TSA would likely end up doing a lot of searched by people of the opposite sex since most are straight and would prefer it.

That this whole topic should blow you away is rather silly. I'm sure you've taken a dump/leak in a men's bathroom hundreds of times, you showered with other males in school, swimming etc, changed with other males and likely hang around with them. That suddenly you expect an opposite sex pat down seems silly. It's not a sexual act. I was patted down last week and it wasn't anything unusual.

Wow, you know how to find wikipedia? Want a cookie?

Perhaps you might want to navigate over to the main constitution wiki and look up the third article. That's the mechanism that citizens can use to dispute laws if they feel their rights are being violated. It's odd that the tin foil hat wearers complain about all of this being unconstitutional and yet none of it has been shut down by a lawsuit.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by thegeneral
It's odd that the tin foil hat wearers complain about all of this being unconstitutional and yet none of it has been shut down by a lawsuit.
Lots of things that are unconstitutional go on for a long time before they are shut down by lawsuits. The length of time something is/has been going on does not determine it's constitutionality or lack thereof.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:47 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
yes, just look at segregation laws...
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
yes, just look at segregation laws...
Civil disobedience, boycotts, protest marches and distribution of information via grassroots campaigns had nothing at all to do with the end of segregation.

Nope, organized resistance never works.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
again, where is the irony font when you need it....
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
again, where is the irony font when you need it....
Just adding to the sarcasm
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:40 am

That suddenly you expect an opposite sex pat down seems silly. It's not a sexual act. I was patted down last week and it wasn't anything unusual.
If it's not a sexual act, why does the sex of the screener vis a vis the passenger even matter? Shouldn't it just be "Whichever screener is there is what you get."? After all, it's completely TOTALLY non sexual...
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
... If we have to endure being honked in order to fly, I think we, as honkees, should be able to choose the gender of the honker.
LMFAO. Seriously. Fall out of my chair stuff. +100 ^^^
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by WChou

At one airport, I saw a screener who looked just like Jennifer Lopez. She'd be a popular one for those opting out.
Neither J-lo or any of her look-alikes is coming anywhere near my junk -- that would be enough to persuade me to opt-in to the nude-o-scope.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: *wood Gold
That this whole topic should blow you away is rather silly. I'm sure you've taken a dump/leak in a men's bathroom hundreds of times, you showered with other males in school, swimming etc, changed with other males and likely hang around with them. That suddenly you expect an opposite sex pat down seems silly. It's not a sexual act. I was patted down last week and it wasn't anything unusual.
I think we should not only be able to choose the gender of the screener, but also the sexual orientation of them. This way people who want to be patted down by a specific gender/sexual orientation type can get what they want-- and those who want to avoid certain gender/sexual orientation combinations can also avoid them. Screeners can start the pat-down process by identifying themselves and verifying that it's OK that they begin. (e.g. "Hi, I'm Jack, a heterosexual male. Is it OK if I start your pat-down now?")

While it may not make everyone totally satisfied, it would at least take a step in the right direction toward satisfying a numer of fliers who have concerns over these types of things.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by clrankin
Screeners can start the pat-down process by identifying themselves and verifying that it's OK that they begin. (e.g. "Hi, I'm Jack, a heterosexual male. Is it OK if I start your pat-down now?")
How about "Hi, I'm Jack, a closted homosexual male - please don't tell my family. Is it OK if I start your pat-down now?" OR "Hi, I'm Jack,basically a straight male but I do have to admit to being a bit bi-curious now and then... Is it OK if I start your pat-down now?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.