Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stupid Question: Why same sex pat-downs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:38 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by castrobenes
In my opinion cross gendered screening would add a sexual dynamic to the checkpoint.
Too late.

Some screeners would act like morons.
Too late.

Originally Posted by WillR
Enforcing same-sex screening makes gender extremely relevant, and my objection to it is that it institutionalises the expectation that there is a sexual element to the screening.
+1
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by mozgytog
Lack of consent is also covered by coercion. If you put someone in a position where they are unable to earn a living without submitting to reprehensible demands, you've effectively coerced them.

Let me get this straight, it is your contention that you submit to coercive sexual assault as a condition of your employment...you might even say that you exchange sex for money...

castro

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I wonder just what jeopardy, if any, if a person who felt the TSA screening was an assault made a citizens arrest.

As I understand it the police would be compelled to file the complaint.
They would be compelled to start a police report. The LEO gets to choose whether to make an arrest. The prosecutor still has the authority about whether to indict.

If you think that this is a good strategy then you should ask for a LEO...

castro

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 1, 2010 at 6:39 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:43 am

Let me get this straight, it is your contention that you submit to coercive sexual assault as a condition of your employment...you might even say that you exchange sex for money...

castro
I'm saying that the TSA forcing me to either be photographed naked or have my genitals groped because flying is a necessary part of my job is disgusting, coercive, and I'd like to see the people who force these searches in prison.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mozgytog
I'm saying that the TSA forcing me to either be photographed naked or have my genitals groped because flying is a necessary part of my job is disgusting, coercive, and I'd like to see the people who force these searches in prison.
^

Flying for me is not optional if I am going to keep my job. If I had to get stripped or groped just to walk in the door at the factory, my employer would be shut down in a nanosecond.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They would be compelled to start a police report. The LEO gets to choose whether to make an arrest. The prosecutor still has the authority about whether to indict.

castro
The arrest is a citizens arrest. I believe that removes the officers discretion of arrest since the arrest has already happened.

Agree that the DA can indict or not based on strenght of the evidence and other factors.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Sep 1, 2010 at 7:01 am
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)

castro
I'm not sure about your respective jurisdictions, and IANAL, but citizen's arrest may only be justifiable if it is reasonable and necessary. In a situation where you can clearly identify the individual, and there is no impediment to you waiting for a LEO, I don't see how it is necessary to effect a citizen's arrest. And, worst case, you lay yourself open to charges (of assault/battery/false imprisonment/interfering with screening process) if the TSO is found to have not committed a crime.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillR
I'm not sure about your respective jurisdictions, and IANAL, but citizen's arrest may only be justifiable if it is reasonable and necessary. In a situation where you can clearly identify the individual, and there is no impediment to you waiting for a LEO, I don't see how it is necessary to effect a citizen's arrest. And, worst case, you lay yourself open to charges (of assault/battery/false imprisonment/interfering with screening process) if the TSO is found to have not committed a crime.

Inal either but in most areas a citizens arrest can be made when the citizen sees or is the victim of a felony. Sexual Assault is certainly a felony.

I would be interested in the outcome of such a test case.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:41 am

I don't think they dare let the passenger choose the sex of the groper. The perverts would mob the place.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by PTravel
Now that you mention it, when I'm in China, pat downs have also been by female security officers.
Yes but they are not really "pat downs" much less the TSA-enhanced ones. The female officers just usually run the hand wand against your body, and maybe pat a pocket and request you take stuff out. Don't get everybody all excited here and cause a rush for Chinese visas at the nearest Embassy.

And there are airports where male officers are patting down the men. Depends on your timing and checkpoint as to what you get.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
In the meantime TSA said WBI would be used only for secondary screenings yet they have become defacto primary and now we have enhanced pat downs. With all of it no explanation let alone opportunity for public comment.
At LAX and BOS, the strip-search machines are installed at the exit to the WTMD. Even if they're part of "primary", TSA can simply claim that they're secondary. Yes, it's dishonest, but that's the game TSA plays.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
Wow. This has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation or, at least, nothing to do with the sexual orientation of the screener. As I said, none of my business and I couldn't care less.
I'll take this part of the conversation in a different direction...

Being that TSA is having their employees touch extremely private (and sexual) areas of the body, I think it is imperative that the flying public be able to determine for themselves if the screener has any possibility of receiving any gratification from the activity.

TSA should be required to identify all screeners as straight, gay, or bisexual. Passengers should then be given the ability to select the sexual orientation of their screener. The screener should then have to confirm their sexual orientation to the passenger prior to screening.

Is it invasive for TSA employees? Sure. But no more invasive than feeling up a person's personal areas simply because they've purchased a ticket to fly somewhere.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by TNGALINFLORIDA
If by being "patted down" you mean a full contact groping of my nether regions, then it doesn't matter what gender you are. If you're not my gynecologist or my significant other, you have absolutely no business putting your hands there.

Although I don't like it by any stretch of the imagination - I don't have a problem with TSA patting down my arms, legs, back or butt. Hell, I'll even offer up "the girls" to be honked, without batting an eye. But I draw the line at a stranger, male or female, who tries to fondle my hoohah.
Methinks it's time to update the TS&S glossary.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I didn't say that the balance that the TSA came up with was universally accepted. But someone has to come up with that balance. In our current system elected representatives hired TSA leaders to make those decisions. You have remedies which i already discussed.
It's not a balance when it's heavily tilted in TSA's favor and on invasion vs. security and privacy.

In terms of refusing screening in the middle of the process, once you object TSA procedure is to stop the screening process and call a LEO. I think that you are absolutely correct that it would be assault and against TSA policy if the pat down continued after you said stop.

castro

And at that point, we get to D-Y-W-T-F-T. If you do, you end up consenting, If you don't, you can't fly because you didn't complete the screening. Sounds like TSA has someone by the short and curlies - literally. Sad that a once free America is coming to this: give up your liberties. If you want to maintain your right to movement, you have to give up your right to protection from an unreasonable search. If you want to maintain your right to be free from unreasonable search, your right to free movement is infringed upon.

Welcome to the new Amerika, comrade.

In my opinion cross gendered screening would add a sexual dynamic to the checkpoint. Some would feel pressured to accept being screened by someone of the opposite gender. Some would agree to the pat down by someone of the opposite gender not knowing what it entailed and then regret it after the fact. Some screeners would act like morons. Many passengers would act like morons.
It's already happening with the Nude-O-Scopes. You don't change screeners each time the gender changes, do you? If you don't, are you saying that touching is the difference and why the opposite screener sex is allowed to view a naked image of a person?

Both are disgusting, personally, outside of an alarm that needs to be resolved.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 1, 2010 at 6:34 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OP's post got me to thinking.

If a pax is up for an 'enhanced' patdown and the TSO assigned to the task is a family member, neighbor, friend, close acquaintance...heck, even an enemy - is the pax allowed to ask for someone else to perform the frisk? Is the TSO allowed to do so?

I know it's statistically unlikely, but it's bound to happen sooner or later. How would you feel if the TSO assigned to frisk you is your neighbor, attends the same church, is your brother/sister-in-law, etc?

I'm also curious about how TSOs generally feel about this (just the physical part of it). I personally couldn't do it (grope complete strangers in a non-medical setting). It's why I'm not in medicine or law enforcement. We've seen posts here indicating delays because there wasn't a frisk-trained TSO immediately available. Are TSOs allowed to decline this training? decline the duty? Are there 'brownie' points for volunteering for the training or to perform the duty?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Originally Posted by WIRunner
As a gay male I am uncomfortable having a hetrosexual male touch me. So if I question this would I be able to get a female to do the rubdown?

As a card carrying homosexual the next time I opt out and I get a nudge to my penis I'm going to ask the TSO if I can touch his too.

I wonder what the reaction will be????

Reminds me of my interaction with the TSA at the Charleston, WV airport.

I had a small bottle of LUBE in my ziplock bag. This bottle was 3.4 oz and the TSO manning the x-ray screen freaked out because the bottle was over 3oz.

He called over his supervisor holding out the bottle of lube for all to see and out loud said "this is over 3 oz", to which I turned to the supervisor and rather LOUDLY commented ........don't worry I used some of it last night a few times.

Everyone standing behind me in line busted out laughing. The supervisor just grinned and told me to go on my way.

I got to keep my lube too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.