Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Rather than making people feel they had been heard, my impression is that it was additional harassment; that is, you not only got the patdown but then had to wait and get interrogated while someone filled out a form.
That's exactly the impression I got. It wasn't as if they were trying to say "We'd like to make sure that people hear your objection!" Though that may have been the original reason for this; the TSA cop-wannabees aren't treating it like this. It was simply additional punishment for opting out. A separate person did the interrogation, and I had to wait for him.

I was very cooperative and polite, and indicated that I didn't object to a thorough patdown.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by reamworks
It was simply additional punishment for opting out. A separate person did the interrogation, and I had to wait for him.
Did you really have to wait? If the screening is complete you should be OK to just walk away.

If the screening is not complete tell them you'll be happy to answer the questions after you are cleared. Then once you are cleared just walk away. If they object tell them that if they want to question you they can accompany you as you walk to your gate.

If they refuse to complete the screening until after you answer their questions call for a LEO and the airline's GSC. Explain to them that the TSA person is refusing to screen you.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Wimpie
Question for Newhaven and owners of these sites:

Please report on the hit counter and possibly the number of downloads on these sites that I try to publicize:
It might help improve morale around here.
"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

http://airportbodyscan.org
http://dontscan.us
http://dontscan.me

Am I missing any?
We're averaging about a thousand hits a day on these. It's not huge traffic, but it is pretty steady.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozgytog
We're averaging about a thousand hits a day on these. It's not huge traffic, but it is pretty steady.
If any of those sights could get a mention on something like Drudge the numbers would take off.

Need an article than mentions these sights and can get published in the mainstream.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If any of those sights could get a mention on something like Drudge the numbers would take off.

Need an article than mentions these sights and can get published in the mainstream.
Bold mine.

I suggest a well-written article submitted as a "letter to the editor" (or better yet, a guest commentary) of significant newspapers. The link from Drudge, etc. will come easily after the former happens. I'd be willing to assist and have professional staff available for graphics and technical editing.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScatterX
Bold mine.

I suggest a well-written article submitted as a "letter to the editor" (or better yet, a guest commentary) of significant newspapers. The link from Drudge, etc. will come easily after the former happens. I'd be willing to assist and have professional staff available for graphics and technical editing.
I'm certainly no writer but even giving that a letter to the editor has little chance of getting published.

We need a travel writer who is willing to devote space and time to an honest discussion of TSA.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Following news reports from around the country, I think the following papers would be the most receptive:

Wall Street Journal
New York Times
Boston Globe
Washington Post

Please post interim letters here, so we all can critique before publishing. I think we can put together a credible editorial that might create some publicity. Maybe someone from Utah can get a response from Jason Chaffetz, he seems to be clearly on our side.^

Also David Parker Brown from Airlinereporter.com has come out against.

Does anybody think any of the big media - ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN, MSNBC or PBS would help?

One of us here must have some "inside pull"
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Wimpie
Please post interim letters here, so we all can critique before publishing. I think we can put together a credible editorial that might create some publicity.
A credible editorial should get some press (it may not be easy though). Before jumping right into the narrative, suggest we start with the outline, focus on the best cases, and mention/reference the other issues. At a minimum, the anecdotal evidence should be more than sufficient to illustrate a problem worthy of serious investigation.

Here's my first cut at these two groups:

Best cases:
  • Constitutionality (right to privacy, unreasonable search)
  • Effectiveness (is this worth the money?)
  • Using radiation devices on the public (including on people that are not aware or understand what's happening to them)
  • Physical assault/consent issues

Also mentions:
  • Fraud (back room deals), waste (cost effectiveness), and abuse (somebody's getting rich and I bet they're "connected")
  • Retaliation
  • Training (especially in the use and maintenance of radiation devices)
  • Proper notification and consent
  • Vulnerabilities (why use a system so easily defeated?)
  • Non-random implementation leading to "attractive females getting searched more often

What did I miss? What are everyone's thoughts on the gropings* and order?

* - sorry, that was supposed to be groupings.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm certainly no writer but even giving that a letter to the editor has little chance of getting published.

We need a travel writer who is willing to devote space and time to an honest discussion of TSA.
USA Today probably has devoted more space to negative coverage of the TSA than any other paper. Is there a byline on those articles? Someone to contact?

I only read printed papers when I'm traveling & find one outside my hotel room on the way to breakfast.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:02 pm

USA Today: Gary Stoller has written

http://travel.usatoday.com/news/2010...ans13_ST_N.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ans13_ST_N.htm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Nice articles ^^

However:

The Transportation Security Administration, which has spent more than $80 million for about 500 machines, says the criticism is unwarranted. It says the machines improve security, are no threat to passenger privacy or health, and were chosen over alternative screening procedures by more than 98% of passengers during airport tests.
YGTBFKM! what a load of crap.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by ScatterX
  • Using radiation devices on the public (including on people that are not aware or understand what's happening to them
I'm wondering if it is legal for an unlicensed person to operate these machines. I found the following from the So. Carolina law, but it seems to only apply to use of x-rays on people for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes in a health care setting.

SECTION 44-74-30. Prohibited conduct.

(A) No person, other than a licensed practitioner or a radiologic technologist possessing a certificate from the South Carolina Radiation Quality Standards Association may use ionizing radiation or equipment emitting or detecting ionizing radiation on humans for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes.

(B) No person knowingly may employ or designate as a radiologic technologist a person who does not hold a certificate issued by the South Carolina Radiation Quality Standards Association.

(C) No person holding a certificate issued by the South Carolina Radiation Quality Standards Association may use radioactive substances or equipment emitting or detecting ionizing radiation on humans for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes unless under the direction and supervision of a licensed practitioner and unless so directed by prescription of a licensed practitioner.

(D) No person who is not certified by the South Carolina Radiation Quality Standards Association shall take, use, or exhibit the title of "limited practice radiographer", "podiatric limited practice radiographer", "limited chest radiographer", "radiographer", "radiation therapist", or "nuclear medicine technologist", or any other title, sign, display, or declaration that tends to lead the public to believe that the person is authorized to apply ionizing radiation on humans for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes.

(E) No person, other than a licensed practitioner, may operate any x-ray machinery in the health care setting, including a hospital, a mobile or temporary health care setting, or the office of a person licensed to practice any health care profession pursuant to any chapter of Title 40 of the Code of Laws of South Carolina without possessing a current valid certificate from the South Carolina Radiation Quality Standards Association.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I'm wondering if it is legal for an unlicensed person to operate these machines. I found the following from the So. Carolina law, but it seems to only apply to use of x-rays on people for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes in a health care setting.
buh, buh, buh, 9/11... Don't you remember?!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by newhaven
UtterCaro: Good points. Edited.
barbell: Thanks. Added.

New draft: mediafire.com/?7a4le2yzwyax123
Is this the latest version?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Is this the latest version?
I believe it is. This is the latest that I had gotten from them..

http://nudeoscope.com/Brochure/5a.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.