Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhino_uk
I'd just like to add that if you guys are planning some sort of event, such as a mass opt-out, December 10th is International Human Right Day.

That should give enough time to plan something and get the media on board if it were at all possible
A better display would be to leave most aircraft empty.

The most direct impact is by impacting the airlines bottom line.

I call for a general boycott of commercial aviation.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
A better display would be to leave most aircraft empty.

The most direct impact is by impacting the airlines bottom line.

I call for a general boycott of commercial aviation.
That would be the most effective approach, but I think it would be difficult to most of us to implement.

SWAG: I'd say 85% of people concerned about WBI will do nothing different and go with the flow when presented with a WBI, 10% will vocally express their displeasure but still agree to be imaged, 4% will vocally complain, request a pat down, and attempt to educate others in the checkpoint queue, 0.75% or less might be willing to go further - raise placards, queue slow downs, WBI sit-ins, etc. Among the remaining 0.25%, there might be some who would boycott aviation.

Personally, I place myself among the 4% - vocally complain, take the pat down and talk to others about it.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:12 am

Thanks, all, for your great work. I have printed out the flyer and am going to Kinko's to get multiple copies made and will be distributing it EVERYWHERE I can, particularly at airports, in SkyMall catalogs and airline magazines, bathrooms, lounges, etc., etc.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunnyjl
Thanks, all, for your great work. I have printed out the flyer and am going to Kinko's to get multiple copies made and will be distributing it EVERYWHERE I can, particularly at airports, in SkyMall catalogs and airline magazines, bathrooms, lounges, etc., etc.
I'm assuming a pdf of the flyer is available on the website for the rest of us to download, copy and co-distribute, right?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I'm assuming a pdf of the flyer is available on the website for the rest of us to download, copy and co-distribute, right?
Yes, I'll upload the PDFs today.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I agree with the risk of overplaying the health aspect and being labelled as just another 'tinfoil hat' group.

I think it's sufficient to say that the health risks have not been identified or quantified, provide a pertinent non-sensational link or two and let the audience come to its own conclusion.
The text has been changed, but I did not include anything about deploying backscatter X-ray instead of MMW because I don't want to give off the impression that MMW is an acceptable compromise.

Originally Posted by "PhlyingRPh
All four versions of newhaven's PDF are on dontscan.me in the Pamphlets link. The reason there are 4 is that two use the term WBI, with and without a backscatter image on the front, and two use the term AIT with and without a backscatter image on the front.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mozgytog
All four versions of newhaven's PDF are on dontscan.me in the Pamphlets link. The reason there are 4 is that two use the term WBI, with and without a backscatter image on the front, and two use the term AIT with and without a backscatter image on the front.
Many thanks.^
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:10 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
Excellent, I'll fly on the 10th and my upgrade chances will improve. Thanks for the heads up!

Ciao,
FH
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Problem on nudeoscope.com

The buttons: Downloads & Contact US do not work.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by mozgytog
The text has been changed, but I did not include anything about deploying backscatter X-ray instead of MMW because I don't want to give off the impression that MMW is an acceptable compromise.
The new text is less problematic than the previous version, for which I thank you. Do you have a citation that the equipment can cause burns if not properly calibrated? Again, this is like saying that a poorly manufactured AA battery can electrocute someone. Or that your cell phone, cordless phone, baby monitor, or keyless entry fob (all of which also use radiofrequency energy) can suddenly malfunction and cause burns. It's exaggeration and it doesn't help with credibility.

The privacy, theft, slowness and ineffectiveness of all nude-o-scopes are more than enough reason to oppose them without exaggerating health risks of the mmw version.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Just another thought, since I have seen people posting about going to Kinkos (or other copy locations) to make copies for distribution. The pamphlet may need to have some form of copyright release indicated, or the copy shops may refuse to produce copies.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Just another thought, since I have seen people posting about going to Kinkos (or other copy locations) to make copies for distribution. The pamphlet may need to have some form of copyright release indicated, or the copy shops may refuse to produce copies.
If anyone encounters an issue, please post in this thread and an appropriate modification can be made to the reference files.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:41 pm

"Oh, yeah, don't worry about it," said the underpaid 28-year-old GED recipient who makes you take off your shoes and throw away your water bottle before you get on an airplane. "We got all kinds of crazy computers and .... to monitor things, so there's no way anything can go wrong. We got you covered."
Smart, Qualified People Behind the Scenes Keeping America Safe: 'We Don't Exist'
http://www.theonion.com/articles/sma...eping-a,17954/

Here's a portion of a description of an enhanced pat down that a flyer recently underwent:

"Still kneeling, his face less than a foot from my crotch he advised me he would pass the back of his hands over my crotch, under my testicles, and in the fold between my legs. I felt him cup my testicles and run his fingers from my rear orifice down the back of my balls."

Some of you really think this is appropriate and necessary?

Children should not be going through these machines due to possible damage from radiation. You think it's proper that a young boy should be screened in such a manner? What about your young daughter who is having her period and wearing a sanitary napkin? Even if she does go through the WBI, she will probably be pulled aside while someone sticks their hand into her crotch and pokes around the sanitary napkin. Do you think that is appropriate?

No, these kinds of searches are NOT appropriate; they are nothing but sexual assault. And don't try to tell me that you have consented to such a search. You have not - not until the TSA describes in FULL what such a pat down consists of can anyone claim they gave consent.

None of this is necessary. STOP BEING AFRAID of bogeymen and stand up for your right not to be molested at the airport.

by walnuttrees

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...=all&csort=rec

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 11, 2010 at 8:08 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: CO/DL
Originally Posted by Wimpie
"Still kneeling, his face less than a foot from my crotch he advised me he would pass the back of his hands over my crotch, under my testicles, and in the fold between my legs. I felt him cup my testicles and run his fingers from my rear orifice down the back of my balls."

One could hope that one of these days when the smurf is massaging someones nuts that they would be a 6ft 5in 300pound redneck with arms the size of most peoples thighs who has serious anger issues and does not like to be "touched" by other people^

You could sell tickets to this if only we knew the time and place^
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:00 pm

How about a click counter on:

http://dontscan.me
http://dontscan.us
http://nudeoscope.com

Please - I have been directing traffic to these sites and it would be interesting to see how much activity we get. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.