Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:00 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pineappley
two completely serious questions, as a female, that were alluded to in jest but may actually occur:

what about outfits being held together by a belt? (i have some wrap dresses that are great for flying, but if i remove the belt, it's no longer a dress.)

and...what about belts legitimately holding pants up? i can't remove the belt on some of my jeans without gravity taking effect. maybe tsa will bump my grad student stipend so I can afford new jeans?

oh well.
I really was not joking when I posted my comment about dresses with belts.

As a male, I can make some guesses based on how TSA has treated me when they have required a belt removal. BWI has told me to take my belt off and then sent me to a secondary for daring to hold my pants up when transiting the checkpoint. They advised that my hands had to be open and visible while going through the WTMD or it triggered an automatic secondary.

My assumption would be that, based on the couple of times I have experienced this, a person wearing a dress that can only be properly held closed with the required belt would be treated to a secondary for daring to hold the dress closed when told to remove the belt.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:41 am
Suspended

two completely serious questions, as a female, that were alluded to in jest but may actually occur:

what about outfits being held together by a belt? (i have some wrap dresses that are great for flying, but if i remove the belt, it's no longer a dress.)

and...what about belts legitimately holding pants up? i can't remove the belt on some of my jeans without gravity taking effect. maybe tsa will bump my grad student stipend so I can afford new jeans?

oh well.
Anyway that you can temporarily attach the belt to the dress so that you can't remove it? Same way with the jeans - even if you have to buy a fabric belt rather than a leather belt. Buy one and have it sewn on to the jeans that you wear for travel.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC

oh well.
Get to the airport early and demand a private screening. Not only will this avoid potential umm... embarrassment, it will also likely p*ss the screeners off royally. Two birds with one stone @:-) .
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Get to the airport early and demand a private screening. Not only will this avoid potential umm... embarrassment, it will also likely p*ss the screeners off royally. Two birds with one stone @:-) .
Consider asking for someone, other than TSA, to witness the screening, like a LEO. I wouldn't go into a room alone with a screener.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TSORon
And exactly how is a knife a threat to the plane with the steel reinforced cockpit doors? Or are you suggesting that the passengers of the airplane should be protected from these knives? Because if that is what you are suggesting, these terrorists could just attack people outside of the "sterile" areas and cause just as much damage.

So, do you believe that ALL knives should be outlawed?

STUPID STUPID STUPID
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
so if this is only at bos and las, then the belt bombers® need to go thru sfo

yesterday (8/24), i went thru the wtmd and was sent for my orthopedic shoe swab as always but with no mention of my belt having to be removed by either the wtmd gate keeper or the tso doing the etd on my shoes*

kudos to the tso ^: very very polite and professional. no hand swab, no pat down and over and done with in 3 minutes
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I really was not joking when I posted my comment about dresses with belts.

As a male, I can make some guesses based on how TSA has treated me when they have required a belt removal.
And according to some TSOs at least simply by wearing a dress one will be selected for a secondary (although this is fortunately not always the case)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by TSORon
Yes, fully detectable by a metal detector or an X-Ray, but not a WBI.
Yep, more proof the Nude-O-Scope is a boondoggle.

Originally Posted by debua1k
Well, he has stated that he confiscates has PAX voluntarily surrender CO knives. You know, the same ones they have airside in the PCs and aboard the aircraft.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:27 pm

Thanks for the advice re: my fashion. I have every intention of opting out of WBI if it's presented to me, and though my "home" airport security has been nothing but friendly and courteous so far, it's good to have these ideas in case I'm given any issues due to wearing a belt. Hopefully all will go just as well now that my airport has WBI machines.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Originally Posted by debua1k
And exactly how is a knife a threat to the plane with the steel reinforced cockpit doors? Or are you suggesting that the passengers of the airplane should be protected from these knives? Because if that is what you are suggesting, these terrorists could just attack people outside of the "sterile" areas and cause just as much damage.

STUPID STUPID STUPID
Right, because passengers never get drunk and fight with FA's, other pax, defecate on carts or claim to have bombs. Everyone should have knives given the historical level of maturity.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by GregL
This past Sunday, I was scheduled to fly BOS-DCA-STL on American.

Arrived at the American portion of Terminal B about 12pm -- went through security with no problems: Shoes off, laptop & liquids out.

Flight to DCA was overbooked by 6 -- got my first bump in 3 years (woohoo!). Rebooked on USAirways BOS-DCA and a later American flight DCA-STL. Went over to the USAirways portion of Terminal B after printing my boarding pass from USAirways.com.

Knew there was trouble to be had when -- upon walking up to the checkpoint area -- the barker (the TSA agent in front of the WTMD) was saying "All items must be put through the scanners. Everything out of your pockets. Shoes off. Belts off." Funny -- I had gone through BOS security less than three hours ago and I didn't have to remove my belt.

As I approached the WTMD, I did what I always did -- shoes off, laptop out, liquids out, belt on, boarding pass and ID in my pocket. The agent said I had to remove my belt. I refused. He then ordered me over to the Nude-O-Scope (totally retaliatory).

I waited in line behind two people already up for the Nude-O-Scope. When it was my turn, I opted out -- and was told my belt had to be removed. I complied at this point (realizing they would probably ban me from flying otherwise). Went through the manual patdown and -- during my exchange with that officer -- he didn't understand why I was sent to the Nude-o-Scope for refusing to remove my belt.

Asked for a comment card from the 3-striper. He said "we're following procedure" -- apparently no one else is.

Called the # on the BOS comment card today. Spent about 15 minutes on the phone with someone who was actually friendly and mostly helpful.

Gave enough information which raised some of her suspicions (she claimed I may have been sent over to the Nude-O-Scope as they were supposed to have someone there at all times -- I told her there were 2 people waiting when I was sent there). She asked for enough information to review CC TV recordings to see what happened -- and promised a call back.

However, she indicated there were new rules coming down from Washington this week -- with BOS & LAS being the initial airports -- where all passengers were to remove their belts. I"m suspicious.. any experiences at those airports this week to indicate this is true?

Greg

No no no... you're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to ask for a private screening.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
At BWI this morning the TSA was ordering everybody to remove belts.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
At BWI this morning the TSA was ordering everybody to remove belts.
Which C/P?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Which C/P?
Sorry - don't know the airport. We were heading to the UA/CO gates if that's any help.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
Sorry - don't know the airport. We were heading to the UA/CO gates if that's any help.
Yup, that clears it up (the flying on UA/CO, which I thought based on your profile)...that would be the D C/P, one of the three with WBI systems (A/B [WN] and D have them; C & E still do not [hopefully, they will not get them anytime soon]).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.