Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

Old Aug 21, 10, 3:28 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
time to start using the phrase, "please give it a good squeeze as it's been a while"
Somebody a while ago posted about making the screener nervous during a pat-down, by playing on their homosexual insecurities. I have done it once, and plan to do it every time. It gets easier with practice!

"I hear that most of you screeners are gay. But it's OK with me, I don't care who you choose to love....."

The time I pulled this, the screener quit and sent another one over. I did the same schpiel to him. As I was putting on my shoes, I noticed them talking (probably about me).

Anything we can do to ruin their day, and maybe make more of them quit, is fine in my book!^
Old Aug 21, 10, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by GregL View Post
This past Sunday, I was scheduled to fly BOS-DCA-STL on American.

Arrived at the American portion of Terminal B about 12pm -- went through security with no problems: Shoes off, laptop & liquids out.

Flight to DCA was overbooked by 6 -- got my first bump in 3 years (woohoo!). Rebooked on USAirways BOS-DCA and a later American flight DCA-STL. Went over to the USAirways portion of Terminal B after printing my boarding pass from USAirways.com.

Knew there was trouble to be had when -- upon walking up to the checkpoint area -- the barker (the TSA agent in front of the WTMD) was saying "All items must be put through the scanners. Everything out of your pockets. Shoes off. Belts off." Funny -- I had gone through BOS security less than three hours ago and I didn't have to remove my belt.

As I approached the WTMD, I did what I always did -- shoes off, laptop out, liquids out, belt on, boarding pass and ID in my pocket. The agent said I had to remove my belt. I refused. He then ordered me over to the Nude-O-Scope (totally retaliatory).

I waited in line behind two people already up for the Nude-O-Scope. When it was my turn, I opted out -- and was told my belt had to be removed. I complied at this point (realizing they would probably ban me from flying otherwise). Went through the manual patdown and -- during my exchange with that officer -- he didn't understand why I was sent to the Nude-o-Scope for refusing to remove my belt.

Asked for a comment card from the 3-striper. He said "we're following procedure" -- apparently no one else is.

Called the # on the BOS comment card today. Spent about 15 minutes on the phone with someone who was actually friendly and mostly helpful.

Gave enough information which raised some of her suspicions (she claimed I may have been sent over to the Nude-O-Scope as they were supposed to have someone there at all times -- I told her there were 2 people waiting when I was sent there). She asked for enough information to review CC TV recordings to see what happened -- and promised a call back.

However, she indicated there were new rules coming down from Washington this week -- with BOS & LAS being the initial airports -- where all passengers were to remove their belts. I"m suspicious.. any experiences at those airports this week to indicate this is true?

Greg
Hi ya Greg! I've not heard anything about these new rules. If you get a followup call from the young lady I for one would appreciate a followup post here.
Old Aug 21, 10, 3:52 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by N965VJ View Post
You know, it would probably be a good idea to stop and ponder for a moment what life would be like today if, in the course of history, people just did whatever it took to keep the government happy.
sort of like in Cuba
Old Aug 21, 10, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
And exactly what security benefit is provided by taking a belt off for an opt-out? None. Ergo, it is done as a retaliatory measure.
http://www.belt-buckle-knife.com/

Originally Posted by Italy98 View Post
My belt never alarmed when going through IND until this last trip which tells me that someone adjusted the sensitivity settings.
Or you were carrying more metal this time than in the previous times.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...-security3.htm

Originally Posted by N965VJ View Post
I wonder what would happen if someone showed up in ledehosen?
You wouldn’t be the first.

Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
New frisking policy at Logan to punish people who opt out!
The article make a few incorrect assumptions (staff writers, what can I say) or inaccurate claims but is somewhat correct. Its not just for “opt-outs” but for anyone who meets a specific threshold when associated with the WBI systems. And its not a “punishment”, its procedure. Big difference.

time to start using the phrase, "please give it a good squeeze as it's been a while"
LOL, I don’t care who you are, THAT’S funny!
Old Aug 21, 10, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TSORon View Post
LOL, I don’t care who you are, THAT’S funny!
thanks and i'll let you know how it works on tuesday at sfo because i never remove my belt as it never alarms and since i always get a secondary on my orthopedic shoes (and whatever the tso feels they need to do that day but didn't do/feel like doing the last time the last time*).

*translated to shoe swab only, shoes and hands swabs only, shoes and hands swab plus a patdown)
Old Aug 21, 10, 4:54 pm

and the metal detector would alarm if someone was wearing such and item.

If you don't believe me just check out this link.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...-security3.htm
Old Aug 21, 10, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by doober View Post
This confirms what we thought was happening. I foresee lawsuits for sexual assault.

----

Boston Herald poll - 59% against new security measures; 41% in favor.

How far behind can actual strip searches be - within the next 2 years, after the next event?
And the article includes the gratuitous quote from a surrender-sheep:

But Justine Griffin, a senior vice president at Rasky Baerlein Communications and frequent flier, said yesterday, “The most important thing is to have an effective patdown. If using the back of the hand is less effective, then security trumps niceties.”
Fully detectable with a metal detector. And fully detectable by a screener that looks at the belt and buckle while it is on a traveler. Again, you've done nothing to demonstrate that requiring removal of all belts does anything to improve security.
Old Aug 21, 10, 6:44 pm
Suspended

I believe the TSA, pre-WBI, did a whole lot of crowing about how WTMD found several of these knife belts.
Old Aug 21, 10, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
Fully detectable with a metal detector. And fully detectable by a screener that looks at the belt and buckle while it is on a traveler. Again, you've done nothing to demonstrate that requiring removal of all belts does anything to improve security.
Yes, fully detectable by a metal detector or an X-Ray, but not a WBI. Read what I was responding to and you might be able to figure out the other part of the conversation. “Opt-out” is a WBI related term, although one can certainly opt-out of WTMD screening if they wish.

Originally Posted by doober View Post
I believe the TSA, pre-WBI, did a whole lot of crowing about how WTMD found several of these knife belts.
And we continue to. Go figure, people still think we won’t find them or won’t look there. Read what I was responding to and you might be able to figure out the other part of the conversation. “Opt-out” is a WBI related term, although one can certainly opt-out of WTMD screening if they wish.
Old Aug 21, 10, 7:43 pm

Yes, fully detectable by a metal detector or an X-Ray, but not a WBI. Read what I was responding to and you might be able to figure out the other part of the conversation. “Opt-out” is a WBI related term, although one can certainly opt-out of WTMD screening if they wish..
Are you saying that if you opt out of the WBI, you don't even go through the WTMD?

If that is what happens, might I suggest the simple solution is to change procedure.

people still think we won’t find them or won’t look there.
Isn't there another current thread where the TSA didn't?
Old Aug 22, 10, 12:01 am

How long till some politician starts running on a platform of replacing current procedures with ethnic profiling. Because, so far as I can see, TSA's size is a product of profiling being a nono.
Old Aug 22, 10, 6:56 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Help, I cannot put my belt on!

Well, it has happened. I injured my right shoulder Saturday morning, and I can not reach behind my back to pull the belt through the loops. It is not particularly painful but there is no flexibility. The injury happened yesterday and I have not been to the doctor yet to get a note if that would even help. I travel late this afternoon on Sunday. I have to put my belt in my pants before I put them on or have someone thread it through the loops for me, so I can cope.

I can take it off fine.

Can I simply inform the TSO? What will happen to me if I do? I really do not want to take my pants off at the shoe tying bench just to get my belt back on.

By the way, I am one of those that never takes the belt off at security, so I know my belt will clear the WTMD.
Old Aug 22, 10, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
Well, it has happened. I injured my right shoulder Saturday morning, and I can not reach behind my back to pull the belt through the loops. It is not particularly painful but there is no flexibility. The injury happened yesterday and I have not been to the doctor yet to get a note if that would even help. I travel late this afternoon on Sunday. I have to put my belt in my pants before I put them on or have someone thread it through the loops for me, so I can cope.

I can take it off fine.

Can I simply inform the TSO? What will happen to me if I do? I really do not want to take my pants off at the shoe tying bench just to get my belt back on.

By the way, I am one of those that never takes the belt off at security, so I know my belt will clear the WTMD.
With the new SOP, you may be SOL.

Ask nicely- "Can you help me with my belt, sweetie?" and wink
Old Aug 22, 10, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post

I can take it off fine.

Run to the pharmacy this a.m. and get that arm sling. TSA is going to have to learn to deal with many situations like this, they might as well start doing so ASAP.
Old Aug 24, 10, 10:20 pm

two completely serious questions, as a female, that were alluded to in jest but may actually occur:

what about outfits being held together by a belt? (i have some wrap dresses that are great for flying, but if i remove the belt, it's no longer a dress.)

and...what about belts legitimately holding pants up? i can't remove the belt on some of my jeans without gravity taking effect. maybe tsa will bump my grad student stipend so I can afford new jeans?

oh well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: