Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

Old Aug 18, 10, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by JSmith1969 View Post
Right, because belts are almost as dangerous as Pepsi or flip-flops. Idiots.
There is no potential threats with the belts. I am never says anything from TSA to asks me takeoff the belts. That's harassed on these passengers to required takeoff the shoes, belts and empty pockets, too.
Old Aug 19, 10, 6:18 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by SATTSO View Post
So...as I stated before how long will it take for most checkpoints to get WBIs at each lane? Years. So it's not actually policy - yet.
I'm not comforted by this statement but thanks for the h/u, SATTSO.
Old Aug 19, 10, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance View Post
How long till travelers just start wearing clothes with elastic waistbands? I'm too slow to have thought of that for myself, but finally even my brain could infer the necessity.
That'd be a drastic change in the definition of 'business casual.'

The business suit gets replaced by the track suit, and the wingtips become flip flops.

Seriously though, I love my job. I love everything about it except the hell I have to go through to get on a plane. Each new policy brings me one more step closer to the day I have to quit my beloved job because the indignity of the TSA is no longer worth the reward of getting to go to new cities and meet new people.

The TSA might just force me to do what no terrorist ever could - stay home.
Old Aug 19, 10, 8:12 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance View Post
How long till travelers just start wearing clothes with elastic waistbands? I'm too slow to have thought of that for myself, but finally even my brain could infer the necessity.
disposable mumu's anyone?
Old Aug 19, 10, 8:27 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
Originally Posted by VH-RMD View Post
disposable mumu's anyone?
I was thinking more along the lines of hospital gowns.
Old Aug 19, 10, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by essxjay View Post
I'm not comforted by this statement but thanks for the h/u, SATTSO.
Welcome, bu what does h/u mean? Sorry, still learning all terms.

And I should clarify; it's not a new policy. Any checkpoint that has WBIs at all the lanes, belts will have to come off. When all checkpoints are this way, or a majority of them, it will be nationwide, basically.

Last edited by SATTSO; Aug 19, 10 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 19, 10, 11:26 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I remember when I was a kid I had a pair of pants that had an attached belt. Do they still make these? Do they come in adult sizes?

What if I buy a web belt and sew it into the waistband? I am a strange one in that I have airport clothes. I have pants and shirts that I have found to be comfortable and have big roomy pockets. They are saved for the airport. (I said it was strange.)

Back to my original thought. What happens if I buy a matching cloth belt, like a military belt, and just sew it in in the back. How much fun would I have at the WBI prescreen?
Old Aug 19, 10, 12:27 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
I'm thinking h/u is "heads up." As in "thanks for the heads up."

On the subject of belts, I bought a web belt with a plastic buckle http://www.opticsplanet.net/511-tdu-...kle-59551.html for traveling so I could get through the kabuki theatre easier but it looks like that was a waste now. I would imagine the smurfs don't care if your buckle is plastic and won't set off their dingleberry alarm, they want to make sure you don't have one of those pocket money belts with an extra tube of 3.1 oz toothpaste hidden away.
Old Aug 19, 10, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
If your belt doesn't alarm now, then just wear an untucked shirt and tell them you don't have a belt. Problem solved.
Old Aug 19, 10, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by greggwiggins View Post
Don't forget these, DevilDog.
Hey, you can order those with your own message on it...

Welcome, bu what does h/u mean? Sorry, still learning all terms.
Heads-up.

Originally Posted by DevilDog438 View Post
I think one of the other posters hit it on the head - leather belts will make it difficult for the WBI to scan through the waistband of clothing items and we must go with the least common denominator...since WBI victims have to remove belts, all must remove belts.
I wonder what would happen if someone showed up in ledehosen?

Old Aug 19, 10, 12:54 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
If your belt doesn't alarm now, then just wear an untucked shirt and tell them you don't have a belt. Problem solved.
Interesting.....and if you're selected for a random pat-down and they discover a belt under your untucked shirt, is there a penalty for lying to them?

As a LEO, I can tell you, there is a penalty for lying to me. I can take you to jail if I want. There are numerous statutes for giving false information to a LEO, but then smurfs really aren't...oh, we won't go there. If I lied to them, and if that is a crime, I wouldn't expect them to extend me any professional courtesy because they have never extended me any professional courtesy in the past (I guess my shaving cream was going to bring down the plane), but that's okay because that behavior goes both ways. They get no discretion from me, none, zero, on traffic stops or any other contact I have with them when I'm in uniform and they're in civilian clothes. Screw them and their attitudes. The terrorists have won and the TSO is their errand boy.
Old Aug 19, 10, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by chugger1 View Post
Interesting.....and if you're selected for a random pat-down and they discover a belt under your untucked shirt, is there a penalty for lying to them?

As a LEO, I can tell you, there is a penalty for lying to me. I can take you to jail if I want.
You have an interesting definition of lying.
Old Aug 19, 10, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by chugger1 View Post
As a LEO, I can tell you, there is a penalty for lying to me. I can take you to jail if I want.
They ain't cops.

Last edited by PresRDC; Aug 19, 10 at 2:10 pm
Old Aug 19, 10, 2:06 pm
Suspended

And I should clarify; it's not a new policy. Any checkpoint that has WBIs at all the lanes, belts will have to come off. When all checkpoints are this way, or a majority of them, it will be nationwide, basically.
And the reason for TSA's new belt fetish is...?
Old Aug 19, 10, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
I remember when I was a kid I had a pair of pants that had an attached belt. Do they still make these? Do they come in adult sizes?

What if I buy a web belt and sew it into the waistband? I am a strange one in that I have airport clothes. I have pants and shirts that I have found to be comfortable and have big roomy pockets. They are saved for the airport. (I said it was strange.)

Back to my original thought. What happens if I buy a matching cloth belt, like a military belt, and just sew it in in the back. How much fun would I have at the WBI prescreen?
Superb idea! I have a couple of pairs of pants with belts incorporated into the waistband - nothing great to look at but perfect for the airport. Thanks so much for the idea.

Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
Or better yet - don't tell them anything.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 19, 10 at 2:57 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts

Search this Thread
Search Engine: