FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1117463-new-belt-rules-different-experiences-bos-weekend-follow-up-tsa.html)

N830MH Aug 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by JSmith1969 (Post 14503147)
Right, because belts are almost as dangerous as Pepsi or flip-flops. Idiots. :rolleyes:

There is no potential threats with the belts. I am never says anything from TSA to asks me takeoff the belts. That's harassed on these passengers to required takeoff the shoes, belts and empty pockets, too.

essxjay Aug 19, 2010 5:18 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 14506810)
So...as I stated before how long will it take for most checkpoints to get WBIs at each lane? Years. So it's not actually policy - yet.

I'm not comforted by this statement but thanks for the h/u, SATTSO.

mozgytog Aug 19, 2010 5:28 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 14507225)
How long till travelers just start wearing clothes with elastic waistbands? I'm too slow to have thought of that for myself, but finally even my brain could infer the necessity.

That'd be a drastic change in the definition of 'business casual.'

The business suit gets replaced by the track suit, and the wingtips become flip flops.

Seriously though, I love my job. I love everything about it except the hell I have to go through to get on a plane. Each new policy brings me one more step closer to the day I have to quit my beloved job because the indignity of the TSA is no longer worth the reward of getting to go to new cities and meet new people.

The TSA might just force me to do what no terrorist ever could - stay home.

VH-RMD Aug 19, 2010 7:12 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 14507225)
How long till travelers just start wearing clothes with elastic waistbands? I'm too slow to have thought of that for myself, but finally even my brain could infer the necessity.

disposable mumu's anyone?

janey Aug 19, 2010 7:27 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD (Post 14508927)
disposable mumu's anyone?

I was thinking more along the lines of hospital gowns.

SATTSO Aug 19, 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 14508522)
I'm not comforted by this statement but thanks for the h/u, SATTSO.

Welcome, bu what does h/u mean? Sorry, still learning all terms.

And I should clarify; it's not a new policy. Any checkpoint that has WBIs at all the lanes, belts will have to come off. When all checkpoints are this way, or a majority of them, it will be nationwide, basically.

InkUnderNails Aug 19, 2010 10:26 am

I remember when I was a kid I had a pair of pants that had an attached belt. Do they still make these? Do they come in adult sizes?

What if I buy a web belt and sew it into the waistband? I am a strange one in that I have airport clothes. I have pants and shirts that I have found to be comfortable and have big roomy pockets. They are saved for the airport. (I said it was strange.)

Back to my original thought. What happens if I buy a matching cloth belt, like a military belt, and just sew it in in the back. How much fun would I have at the WBI prescreen?

chugger1 Aug 19, 2010 11:27 am

I'm thinking h/u is "heads up." As in "thanks for the heads up."

On the subject of belts, I bought a web belt with a plastic buckle http://www.opticsplanet.net/511-tdu-...kle-59551.html for traveling so I could get through the kabuki theatre easier but it looks like that was a waste now. I would imagine the smurfs don't care if your buckle is plastic and won't set off their dingleberry alarm, they want to make sure you don't have one of those pocket money belts with an extra tube of 3.1 oz toothpaste hidden away.

PresRDC Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

If your belt doesn't alarm now, then just wear an untucked shirt and tell them you don't have a belt. Problem solved.

N965VJ Aug 19, 2010 11:35 am

Originally Posted by greggwiggins (Post 14506653)
Don't forget these, DevilDog. :D

Hey, you can order those with your own message on it... :D

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 14509826)
Welcome, bu what does h/u mean? Sorry, still learning all terms.

Heads-up.

Originally Posted by DevilDog438 (Post 14506778)
I think one of the other posters hit it on the head - leather belts will make it difficult for the WBI to scan through the waistband of clothing items and we must go with the least common denominator...since WBI victims have to remove belts, all must remove belts.

I wonder what would happen if someone showed up in ledehosen?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...7/0456b4e1.jpg

chugger1 Aug 19, 2010 11:54 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC (Post 14510465)
If your belt doesn't alarm now, then just wear an untucked shirt and tell them you don't have a belt. Problem solved.

Interesting.....and if you're selected for a random pat-down and they discover a belt under your untucked shirt, is there a penalty for lying to them?

As a LEO, I can tell you, there is a penalty for lying to me. I can take you to jail if I want. There are numerous statutes for giving false information to a LEO, but then smurfs really aren't...oh, we won't go there. If I lied to them, and if that is a crime, I wouldn't expect them to extend me any professional courtesy because they have never extended me any professional courtesy in the past (I guess my shaving cream was going to bring down the plane), but that's okay because that behavior goes both ways. They get no discretion from me, none, zero, on traffic stops or any other contact I have with them when I'm in uniform and they're in civilian clothes. Screw them and their attitudes. The terrorists have won and the TSO is their errand boy.

mre5765 Aug 19, 2010 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by chugger1 (Post 14510607)
Interesting.....and if you're selected for a random pat-down and they discover a belt under your untucked shirt, is there a penalty for lying to them?

As a LEO, I can tell you, there is a penalty for lying to me. I can take you to jail if I want.

You have an interesting definition of lying.

PresRDC Aug 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by chugger1 (Post 14510607)
As a LEO, I can tell you, there is a penalty for lying to me. I can take you to jail if I want.

They ain't cops. ;)

JSmith1969 Aug 19, 2010 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 14509826)
And I should clarify; it's not a new policy. Any checkpoint that has WBIs at all the lanes, belts will have to come off. When all checkpoints are this way, or a majority of them, it will be nationwide, basically.

And the reason for TSA's new belt fetish is...?

red456 Aug 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 14509983)
I remember when I was a kid I had a pair of pants that had an attached belt. Do they still make these? Do they come in adult sizes?

What if I buy a web belt and sew it into the waistband? I am a strange one in that I have airport clothes. I have pants and shirts that I have found to be comfortable and have big roomy pockets. They are saved for the airport. (I said it was strange.)

Back to my original thought. What happens if I buy a matching cloth belt, like a military belt, and just sew it in in the back. How much fun would I have at the WBI prescreen?

Superb idea! I have a couple of pairs of pants with belts incorporated into the waistband - nothing great to look at but perfect for the airport. Thanks so much for the idea.

Originally Posted by PresRDC (Post 14510465)

Or better yet - don't tell them anything.