Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

Old Aug 18, 10, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by AirShuttle6162 View Post
I flew out of PHX last Friday on US, went through the B C/P and they have instituted the "belts off rule" as well it seems. I had just flown 2 weeks prior there was no "belts off rule" and had no issues, and havent ever had issues with the belt I wear while traveling. On the flip side, I flew out of MSP last night, and there was no mention of removing a belt, but they are pretty efficient up there...arrived at the airport at 520p and was at the gate by 526p
Same thing happened to me in IND a week ago, Barker at the front of the x-ray machine yelling at everyone to take off their belt and no papers in pocket, not wallet, etc. I had placed my boarding pass in my back pocket, and after going through the x-ray no one freaked out... there were only two lines moving and he alternated between x-ray and metal detector between the two lines.

Funny thing is that on the way to IND and on my trip to-and-from MSY the same week it was business as usual, I just figured TSA at IND was nuts.
Old Aug 18, 10, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SATTSO View Post
Howeve, there is a newer rule coming down regarding belts; they will all have to eventually come off, but that is a bit away. When WBIs are at all checkpoints, and that is all that is open, all belts come off, regardless of whether or not the passenger goes through the WTMD. Again, some time off, most likely a few years (there should be approx. 500 WBIs out by the end of December 2010, and approx. 800 more by the end of 2011. Great fun.).
Yet another BS policy. When is the mandatory "everyone walk through naked" policy going into effect? If we are going to be chicken littles about fracking belts...oh, wait, all those ceramic knife belt buckles that one cannot use to get through the cockpit door...[/sarcasm]

God save me from the damn TSA and their asinine policies...they truly are trying to kill travel.

Think I will start wearing my loose fitting jeans and allowing them to fall to my ankles when TSA requires me to take off my goddamn belt.
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by DevilDog438 View Post
Think I will start wearing my loose fitting jeans and allowing them to fall to my ankles when TSA requires me to take off my goddamn belt.
Don't forget these, DevilDog.
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
Certainly possible as a retaliation for opting-out, but perhaps part of the "enhanced" pat-down you get as a result of not meekly complying.

The real reason might be close to what SATTSO wrote; two sets of instructions are confusing for the screeners. I'm sure most passengers would be able to cope .
Lol

It may very well be confusing for some screeners, but so too for some passengers; sadly I have seen that. And for the most part, I give simplified instructions when in the que position, and answer and specific questions a passenger may ask. I have found that works best.
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by greggwiggins View Post
Don't forget these, DevilDog.
That reminds me...need a new web belt...time to go shopping.
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:22 pm

Yet another BS policy. When is the mandatory "everyone walk through naked" policy going into effect? If we are going to be chicken littles about fracking belts...oh, wait, all those ceramic knife belt buckles that one cannot use to get through the cockpit door...[/sarcasm]

God save me from the damn TSA and their asinine policies...they truly are trying to kill travel.

Hmmm if your pants fall down will other passengers laugh or shudder?
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:25 pm

Hmmm if your pants fall down will other passengers laugh or shudder?
Probably both...I am definitely in the "Not so lean, not so mean, still a Marine" category.
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Howeve, there is a newer rule coming down regarding belts; they will all have to eventually come off, but that is a bit away. When WBIs are at all checkpoints, and that is all that is open, all belts come off, regardless of whether or not the passenger goes through the WTMD. Again, some time off, most likely a few years (there should be approx. 500 WBIs out by the end of December 2010, and approx. 800 more by the end of 2011. Great fun.).
And why have you invented this latest fetish of yours, exactly? Has there been an outbreak of terrorists taking over planes with their belts?
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by JSmith1969 View Post
And why have you invented this latest fetish of yours, exactly? Has there been an outbreak of terrorists taking over planes with their belts?
In all fairness to SATTSO, he did not invent it - he is just passing information for which TSA has issued no formal statements to the traveling public. However, I am sure we will never hear more than token answers from any official source. Probably mumblings about x number of incidents of razor blades/ceramic knives hidden in belts. I think one of the other posters hit it on the head - leather belts will make it difficult for the WBI to scan through the waistband of clothing items and we must go with the least common denominator...since WBI victims have to remove belts, all must remove belts.

This is going to be interesting when they make a woman remove a belt that is the only piece that properly holds together some outfit...
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:32 pm

Probably both...I am definitely in the "Not so lean, not so mean, still a Marine" category.
One older man I was screening warned that if his pants fell down we would have to protect him from the rush of women coming to jump his bones. He actually pointed out to a cute woman walking by and told her to stay away, "I'm married". It was actually very funny.
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:35 pm
Suspended

In all fairness to SATTSO, he did not invent it.
I used "you" in that instance to refer to TSA as an organization, rather than direct address.

However, I am sure we will never hear more than token answers from any official source. Probably mumblings about x number of incidents of razor blades/ceramic knives hidden in belts. I think one of the other posters hit it on the head - leather belts will make it difficult for the WBI to scan through the waistband of clothing items and we must go with the least common denominator...since WBI victims have to remove belts, all must remove belts.
An agency run and staffed by smart people would realize that any detection device that can't handle something as simple and harmless as a belt is not worth deploying at thousands of locations and find something better. But then, this is TSA we're talking about.

One older man I was screening warned that if his pants fell down we would have to protect him from the rush of women coming to jump his bones. He actually pointed out to a cute woman walking by and told her to stay away, "I'm married". It was actually very funny.
You were amused by forcing an elderly man to remove his belt for no reason?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 19, 10 at 2:49 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:36 pm

In all fairness to SATTSO, he did not invent it - he is just passing information for which TSA has issued no formal statements to the traveling public. However, I am sure we will never hear more than token answers from any official source. Probably mumblings about x number of incidents of razor blades/ceramic knives hidden in belts. I think one of the other posters hit it on the head - leather belts will make it difficult for the WBI to scan through the waistband of clothing items and we must go with the least common denominator...since WBI victims have to remove belts, all must remove belts.

This is going to be interesting when they make a woman remove a belt that is the only piece that properly holds together some outfit...
The policy I am talking about can really only go into effect when a checkpoint has all WBIs at each lane. So a person will HAVE to opt out or go through the WBI. The new terminal at SAT will have 4 x-rays and 2 WTMD - so 2 WBIs. Each lane you go through you will have to opt out or go through WBI, in other words. So belt will have to come off.

So...as I stated before how long will it take for most checkpoints to get WBIs at each lane? Years. So it's not actually policy - yet.

But as I also said, many TSOs give general instructions while at the que position, including myself. It actually does make things go more quickly for the passengers, in general.
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:38 pm
Suspended

But as I also said, many TSOs give general instructions while at the que position, including myself. It actually does make things go more quickly for the passengers, in general.
It would go even more quickly if you stopped pretending shoes and liquids and sweaters presented a threat to aviation. But you already know that.
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:57 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
IN other words, it's not done because of any security benefit, it's done for administrative convenience.

And exactly what security benefit is provided by taking a belt off for an opt-out? None. Ergo, it is done as a retaliatory measure.
I couldn't tell you. I'm just making a guess based on experience.
Old Aug 18, 10, 9:52 pm

How long till travelers just start wearing clothes with elastic waistbands? I'm too slow to have thought of that for myself, but finally even my brain could infer the necessity.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: