FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Ask a TSA Officer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1112065-ask-tsa-officer.html)

Anon1934 Aug 2, 2010 12:49 pm

Ask a TSA Officer

Ok folks, here's the deal.

I'm an officer with the TSA. This is in no way connected with the agency itself. I'm here to help you. You all seem like a group of people with a good head on your shoulders, the type of passengers I love to deal with. Seriously, those of you who know how the system works make my day so much easier. With that said, I want to give back to you. I want to give you a view of what it's like on the inside, without the BS spin of the TSA blog. You know it, I know it, that thing is worthless. I'm here to answer questions from you, the traveling public; free of spin and propaganda from DHS. This decision is mine alone. There are a few conditions, however:

1) I will not give my name, or my airport code.
2) The information I can give you is what I know as a TSO (one stripe) who has "an in" with management and supervisory staff. That being said, there may be questions I can't answer simply because I'm not that high up on the totem pole. If the answer to your question falls into this group, I will be sure to express that.
3) I cannot answer baggage related questions. I'm an officer on the checkpoint, and have no idea how baggage/checked luggage operations
4) I will not accept harassment based on my job title. I'm simply a lowly worker bee just trying to make a few bucks.

I will, however, do my very best to give you the truth and nothing but the truth. What I can tell you about myself is that I'm in my mid-20s, work at one of the busiest airports in the country, and have been with my airport and the agency for 2.5 years. I'm far from being a TSA flag barer. Unlike MANY of my counter parts, I have a brain, common sense, and can think for myself.

So go for it. Let's get the truth out in the open.

EDIT:

My airport does not have WBI/AIT machines, nor have I been trained on one. Therefore, I cannot answer questions related to these.

jkhuggins Aug 2, 2010 12:52 pm

We hear that TSA has its internal suggestion mechanism (the "Idea Factory", maybe?). How well does that work in practice? Are good ideas from the front line acknowledged and acted upon? Or do they seem to end up in the bit bucket like many of the suggestions at the TSA Blog?

Boggie Dog Aug 2, 2010 12:54 pm

What security function is satisfied by the TDC looking at ID?

PTravel Aug 2, 2010 12:55 pm

Welcome to FT Anon1934!

clrankin Aug 2, 2010 12:55 pm

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help...."

Oh boy, this ought to be fun... :D

I've got a few... In your experience:

1. Why do screeners not proactively let people know that they can opt-out of the AIT scans?
2. Why do screeners not let people know that the effects of the radiation that some AIT scanners subject you to have not been proven safe for humans?
3. Why does the required AIT signage seem to be missing at some airports? (Is it missing at your airport?)
4. Why does it seem like many TDCs are not adequately trained to identify simple IDs like Passport Cards and NEXUS IDs?

Anon1934 Aug 2, 2010 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins (Post 14408768)
We hear that TSA has its internal suggestion mechanism (the "Idea Factory", maybe?). How well does that work in practice? Are good ideas from the front line acknowledged and acted upon? Or do they seem to end up in the bit bucket like many of the suggestions at the TSA Blog?

Yes, the Idea Factory exists. It doesn't work too well because the ideas that are submitted are usually awful. By that, I mean stuff like: "Have armed Supervisors at checkpoint," "4 day work weeks," and the like. A lot of "ideas" that have no way of ever being implimented. In my experience, the few ideas that have been marked as "In Progress," never last too long.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 14408782)
What security function is satisfied by the TDC looking at ID?

All it does is prove that you are who you say you are. I've never once caught a fake ID, and have only heard of that happening twice in 2.5 years at my airport

SATTSO Aug 2, 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Anon1934 (Post 14408793)
Yes, the Idea Factory exists. It doesn't work too well because the ideas that are submitted are usually awful. By that, I mean stuff like: "Have armed Supervisors at checkpoint," "4 day work weeks," and the like. A lot of "ideas" that have no way of ever being implimented. In my experience, the few ideas that have been marked as "In Progress," never last too long.

But don't forget those ideas which are terrible are usually pounced upon by other TSA employees. The armed TSO one...the OP took a real beating.

As to the 4 day work week, I personally don't like it, but it has worked well at some airports, and quiet a few private business employ such a schedule. Just because you or I do not like it does not make it a bad idea to discuss.

WChou Aug 2, 2010 1:04 pm

Welcome aboard. Hope you brought asbestos underwear. :) j/k

So far the majority of TSOs I've encountered sounds like you. There to do a job and get home in piece without thinking everyone is the next "big score." So far it has been the minority of smurfs and senior TSA policymakers who have soured me on the whole notion of airport security.

Any progress in ending the whole shoe carnival? With the WBIs, things seems to have taken a step backwards as everyone needs to remove everything from their pockets and persons.

Mongah Aug 2, 2010 1:06 pm

4 day work weeks rocked when I worked one. Wed-Sat 10am-9pm. I loved it.

Of course my 0 day work weeks now aren't bad either.

clrankin Aug 2, 2010 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 14408828)
As to the 4 day work week, I personally don't like it, but it has worked well at some airports, and quiet a few private business employ such a schedule. Just because you or I do not like it does not make it a bad idea to discuss.

I'd be in favor of TSA having a 0-day work week... :D ;)

But seriously, using a 4 day work week might work out better for all-- or you might even want to consider compressing it down to 3 12-hour shifts or the like. That would allow people to have longer weekends, which might help improve morale a bit.

AngryMiller Aug 2, 2010 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by WChou (Post 14408840)
Welcome aboard. Hope you brought asbestos underwear. :) j/k

So far the majority of TSOs I've encountered sounds like you. There to do a job and get home in piece without thinking everyone is the next "big score." So far it has been the minority of smurfs and senior TSA policymakers who have soured me on the whole notion of airport security.

Any progress in ending the whole shoe carnival? With the WBIs, things seems to have taken a step backwards as everyone needs to remove everything from their pockets and persons.

Good post. +10K^

SATTSO Aug 2, 2010 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by clrankin (Post 14408859)
I'd be in favor of TSA having a 0-day work week... :D ;)

Me too!!!! As long as i still get my pay check! :D

AngryMiller Aug 2, 2010 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 14408828)
But don't forget those ideas which are terrible are usually pounced upon by other TSA employees. The armed TSO one...the OP took a real beating.

I think having armed TSOs is a good idea since the first time they draw a weapon on a child or an elderly person the bad press will bury them and their agency.:mad:

Four day work week? Gives 'em an extra day off to make the local newspapers and another day to get deeper into debt which will cause them to lose their cush government job.:D:D IMHO an excellent idea.

Boggie Dog Aug 2, 2010 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Anon1934 (Post 14408803)
All it does is prove that you are who you say you are. I've never once caught a fake ID, and have only heard of that happening twice in 2.5 years at my airport

I'm not sure it proves who a person is, but that does not answer what security function is satisfied even if identity is proven.

Isn't it the function of screening for WEI that indicates a person is safe to enter the sterile area?

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 14408872)
Me too!!!! As long as i still get my pay check! :D

TSA is the modern day equivelent to the CCC with one major exception, the public gets nothing of benefit in return.

SATTSO Aug 2, 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller (Post 14408895)
I think having armed TSOs is a good idea since the first time they draw a weapon on a child or an elderly person the bad press will bury them and their agency.:mad:

Four day work week? Gives 'em an extra day off to make the local newspapers and another day to get deeper into debt which will cause them to lose their cush government job.:D:D IMHO an excellent idea.

Hmmm nothing constructive added to the conversation other than bitter comments?

At one point TSA had planned to have armed LEOs at every hub. But as of right now that plan is scrapped. However, such LEOs would have had to have gone through the screening process any other LEO goes through.