Land Boarder Guard/Customs Question?

Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass,MileagePlus
Land Boarder Guard/Customs Question?

I know this is the wrong place to probably place this question but here goes hopefully someone will be able to help me. I have 19 days before I fly from Cleveland Airport. My concern is the following, I'm driving to Cleveland from Toronto and will be processed by USA boarder guards on the way through to Cleveland. Should I tell them I found cheaper Airfare in Cleveland to Calgary and show them my boarding pass and itinerary? or should I just say I'm visiting my girlfriend for the week and coming back on the 15th of Aug?

Now here is my situation, if I tell them I'm going to go visit my girlfriend for a week basically a lie and then try to fly will I be stopped by USA Customs/Guards in Calgary to pre-clear for our flight back to Cleveland? Do the Land guards and the airport guards share the same info? So should I tell both sides the truth?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1Hawk
I know this is the wrong place to probably place this question but here goes hopefully someone will be able to help me. I have 19 days before I fly from Cleveland Airport. My concern is the following, I'm driving to Cleveland from Toronto and will be processed by USA boarder guards on the way through to Cleveland. Should I tell them I found cheaper Airfare in Cleveland to Calgary and show them my boarding pass and itinerary? or should I just say I'm visiting my girlfriend for the week and coming back on the 15th of Aug?

Now here is my situation, if I tell them I'm going to go visit my girlfriend for a week basically a lie and then try to fly will I be stopped by USA Customs/Guards in Calgary to pre-clear for our flight back to Cleveland? Do the Land guards and the airport guards share the same info? So should I tell both sides the truth?
Why would you lie to them at all? What purpose would that serve? Obviously tell the truth.

Some questions around here are mighty strange . . .
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ari
Why would you lie to them at all? What purpose would that serve? Obviously tell the truth.
Some questions around here are mighty strange . . .
+1
So you found a cheap airfare from Cleveland and want to save money. What's the problem?
Don't even think of lying at the boarder, or more importantly at the border.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:59 pm

Finding cheaper airfare from a US airport is not an unusual occurrence nor is it a problem to spend time in the US before the flight. It is not a good idea to lie to a Border Officer (which is the correct term by the way). You should just tell the truth. You are much more likely to be under greater scrutiny if you tell them you are visiting a girlfriend in the United States then what the truth actually is.

FB
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Do boarder guards/customs look at you more tough and ask you more questions because you are flying from the USA and live in Canada, and I'm not going to lie about visiting the g/f. I'm actually flying with her from Cleveland where she lives to Calgary. My question is this, because I'm flying in to Calgary and landing in to a Canadian city from the USA and not flying Canadian city to city won't the guards in Calgary Canadian Customs be looking at me weird? Yes I'm saving money?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
border border border border border please type it after me 1000 times.

BORDER is a boundry, demarcation, etc.

BOARDER is a totally different thing.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do boarder guards/customs look at you more tough and ask you more questions because you are flying from the USA and live in Canada, and I'm not going to lie about visiting the g/f. I'm actually flying with her from Cleveland where she lives to Calgary. My question is this, because I'm flying in to Calgary and landing in to a Canadian city from the USA and not flying Canadian city to city won't the guards in Calgary Canadian Customs be looking at me weird?
No-- why would they care? Besides, you have a perfectly rational explanation should there be any scrutiny. Is there a reason you are so worried?-- this isn't so unusual as FB said above.

And telling a border guard that you are visiting a girlfriend/boyfriend always makes matters more intense, not less . . .
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Do boarder guards/customs look at you more tough and ask you more questions because you are flying from the USA and live in Canada, and I'm not going to lie about visiting the g/f. I'm actually flying with her from Cleveland where she lives to Calgary. My question is this, because I'm flying in to Calgary and landing in to a Canadian city from the USA and not flying Canadian city to city won't the guards in Calgary Canadian Customs be looking at me weird? Yes I'm saving money?
Jeez, dude. Do you think you just invented trans-border flying to save money? And if you persist in mis-spelling border, you will most certainly be denied entry for failing the mandatory customs spelling test.

Hint...
BOARDER, bad.
BORDER, good.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

OK thanks
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Ari

And telling a border guard that you are visiting a girlfriend/boyfriend always makes matters more intense, not less . . .
This cannot be stressed enough. If one has multiple reasons for crossing the border, never volunteer the visit to the significant other.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:57 pm

Déjà vu.

Just relax and tell the truth. If the officer is suspicious you may be questioned further and have your vehicle searched. An inconvenience, to be sure, but better than being turned around at the border when he starts catching you in ridiculous lies.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:23 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Oh, yeah . . .

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Just relax and tell the truth. If the officer is suspicious you may be questioned further and have your vehicle searched. An inconvenience, to be sure, but better than being turned around at the border when he starts catching you in ridiculous lies.
Yeah, really. Honestly answer questions asked . Don't over-volunteer information not requested but don't conceal anything material. It isn't rocket science.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Just tell them you are flying out due to lower fare. It is not like the CBP agents at 405, 420 or QEW crossing never came across this.

I have flown and many others to Bellingham WA to get to YVR at significant savings.

NEVER, NEVER tell them you are visiting a girlfriend/boyfriend.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Just tell them you are flying out due to lower fare. It is not like the CBP agents at 405, 420 or QEW crossing never came across this.

I have flown and many others to Bellingham WA to get to YVR at significant savings.

NEVER, NEVER tell them you are visiting a girlfriend/boyfriend.
But I've never been held up more then 10 mins telling them I'm visiting my girlfriend!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:59 pm

But I've never been held up more then 10 mins telling them I'm visiting my girlfriend!
Again, just tell them the truth. It doesn't matter what the truth is. Most officers are reasonably adept at recognizing a lie. 9 times out of 10 it is the lie that gets you held up and many times the traveler is lying about something that doesn't matter.

FB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.