Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA v. Pasties [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Talking TSA v. Pasties [merged]

TSA v. Pasties

Tuesday, 20 Jul 2010

<SNIP>

Thankfully, some entrepreneur has come to the rescue, hoping to strike the right balance between privacy and hilarity.

I mean privacy and security.

Flying Pasties is a new product which promises to let you "keep your dignity" at the airport.

A $20 set of stickers will cover your privates from prying eyes as you walk through full body scanners. The stickers are made from "the highest quality rubber to obscure scanner images."
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:40 pm

Flying Pasties and associated images are registered trademarks of Chertoff, Inc. You just know he has to be somewhere back there behind the curtain.

Also, I'm not sure if removing stickers from hair is a much better option than being nudified.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Flying Pasties is BOGUS! - Either type of scanner can see right through these rubber things. Read their web site disclaimer - For novelty use only - No guarantee of effectiveness.

For effectiveness, you need leather for the backscatter machines. A nice piece of thick leather down the pants cannot be seen through, as leather is much more dense than ordinary skin.

For the MMW scanners, conductive fabric with a tight weave or metalized fabric will do the trick. They won't even alarm the WTMD. Check lessemf.com for fabric selections. I guarantee that the copper polyester taffeta will foil any imaging by MMW. (I am an RF engineer with 35 years experience)

I might start a business in kids underwear when this crap reaches critical mass.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wimpie
Flying Pasties is BOGUS! - Either type of scanner can see right through these rubber things. Read their web site disclaimer - For novelty use only - No guarantee of effectiveness.

For effectiveness, you need leather for the backscatter machines. A nice piece of thick leather down the pants cannot be seen through, as leather is much more dense than ordinary skin.

For the MMW scanners, conductive fabric with a tight weave or metalized fabric will do the trick. They won't even alarm the WTMD. Check lessemf.com for fabric selections. I guarantee that the copper polyester taffeta will foil any imaging by MMW. (I am an RF engineer with 35 years experience)

I might start a business in kids underwear when this crap reaches critical mass.
Leather jeans and for women include a leather bra - would that do it?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Just say No.

HELL NO ! if you prefer.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: Platinum
i thought for a second these were Yooper Pasties. Would be rather uncomfortable right out of the oven.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I've had sort of the opposite thought: it I am going to have to walk through the nude-o-scope, why not wear something that lifts and accentuates the, ummm, package (ie a leather and velcro "[word for rooster] strap" although I suspect a school-PE-style jock might work as well).
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:52 am

"Flying Pasties is BOGUS! - Either type of scanner can see right through these rubber things. Read their web site disclaimer - For novelty use only - No guarantee of effectiveness.

I might start a business in kids underwear when this crap reaches critical mass."
What you are describing for MMW is like a Faraday cage for underwear. Would such an item, if feasible(from a wearing standpoint), block the part of the image the underwear cov'd or just distort it. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Stuff a giant metal or leather (do they make one out of leather??) wang down your pants. Even more hilarious for the women to do.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wally bird
just say no.

Hell no ! If you prefer.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Just do us all a favor and avoid running specials where you advertise the children's underwear as being "half off"...
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by QUERY
What you are describing for MMW is like a Faraday cage for underwear. .
That's exactly right. Just like the screen on the front of your microwave oven, if the waves don't fit through the holes, NOTHING gets past, and 100% of the waves bounce back. That's why there is no danger putting your nose right up to the glass on the front of a microwave, even though there are 1100 watts of (dangerous) microwave power in the chamber.

On any MM imaging scanner with waves larger than the aperture size of the holes, it would appear as a solid object - 100% opaque.

This is referred to as the "window effect", and is the reason your AM (1Mhz) radio fades under bridges, but not FM radio (100Mhz), due to the size of the opening under the bridge.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkey75
Stuff a giant metal or leather (do they make one out of leather??) wang down your pants. Even more hilarious for the women to do.
They certainly do. Also, I wonder if a dry salami would work just as well (just don't try that one with customs.)
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by QUERY
What you are describing for MMW is like a Faraday cage for underwear. Would such an item, if feasible(from a wearing standpoint), block the part of the image the underwear cov'd or just distort it. Inquiring minds want to know.
As Wimpie explained, it would block the part of the image the underwear covered. However, this would show up as an "unnatural" item on the nude-o-scope and probably get you a real strip search in addition to the electronic one.

There are many other earlier threads on whether there's something you can wear to spoof the nude-o-scope without drawing attention to yourself. I've written a lot in most of them; have a look around.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
There are many other earlier threads on whether there's something you can wear to spoof the nude-o-scope without drawing attention to yourself. I've written a lot in most of them; have a look around.
How about if you DO want to draw attention to yourself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.