Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

AA loses Israeli security guns in checked bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38114138

This is not good for AA who stolens the guns from checked bags. They took the guns from Israeli security into checked bags. This is not real specific time for me at all. When the bags is already sent to LAX and I believe TSA didn't opened the bags who they found the guns is missing. Airlines wasn't taking own responsibilities to kept guns locked the case.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 3:27 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for posting this. ^

Very interesting.

This is interesting: "One source said the bag was inspected by Transportation Security Administration screeners who put a seal over the bag at Kennedy Airport, clearing the weapons for shipment to Washington."

I wasn't aware that the TSA clears weapons . . .
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:47 am

Surprise, surprise, surprise.... Something missing? Misplaced? Did the luggage handlers make you look bad?

After eight years, how far along is TSA in securing what goes into the belly of a commercial aircraft, anyway?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:10 am

Not Optimistic

I hope the Israeli government is more successful at recovering the cost of their property then many posters to FF. I suspect AA will claim the property was taken by someone affiliated with the TSA, and the TSA will claim the property was taken by an airport employee.

Good Luck
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari

Very interesting.

This is interesting: "One source said the bag was inspected by Transportation Security Administration screeners who put a seal over the bag at Kennedy Airport, clearing the weapons for shipment to Washington."

Isn't there some regulation that prohibits placing a "Notice of Guns" on the outside of baggage?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Isn't there some regulation that prohibits placing a "Notice of Guns" on the outside of baggage?
Last time my dad flew somewhere with a gun, the airline put a label around the bag saying "FIREARMS" in great big red letters all over it.

The seal that TSA puts on a bag simply says "TSA Inspected" on it. No reference to what is in the bag at all.

Originally Posted by Ari

Very interesting.

TSA doesn't "clear" them in the sense of physically checking weapons. Clear in this sense is ensuring that the firearms are properly packed in a locked container and have been declared. If a firearm would ever have to be physically checked, a LEO does that.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 7, 2010 at 6:59 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sailman
I hope the Israeli government is more successful at recovering the cost of their property then many posters to FF. I suspect AA will claim the property was taken by someone affiliated with the TSA, and the TSA will claim the property was taken by an airport employee.

Good Luck
+1.. instead of working together to solve this issue, they will play the blame game. Been through that with TSA and AA myself.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Supposedly now only one gun is missing according to AA late last night, which makes you think they may have found three of them.

They are also wondering why the plane flew to New York, it was a charter and was supposed to go directly to DC

American Airlines has not commented on the incident and it is not clear whether the guns were stolen in New York or in Los Angeles. The theft was an embarrassment for airport security at JFK airport in New York.

Officials did not explain why the plane landed in New York instead of flying directly to Washington.

I was wondering why they were taking a connecting flight instead of going direct.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by cordelli;14257358I
was wondering why they were taking a connecting flight instead of going direct.
They earn more miles on a connex.
Proof positive that Israeli security reads FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jbdk
+1.. instead of working together to solve this issue, they will play the blame game. Been through that with TSA and AA myself.
+1

I wonder if we will ever find out what happened, or if it will continue with the "he said, she said" game...
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
They earn more miles on a connex.
Proof positive that Israeli security reads FlyerTalk.

Will AA give them extra miles as consolation for their experience? As this was likely part of an international itin, their claim may be limited under the Montreal Convention to about $1,000.00.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSO1973
Last time my dad flew somewhere with a gun, the airline put a label around the bag saying "FIREARMS" in great big red letters all over it.

The seal that TSA puts on a bag simply says "TSA Inspected" on it. No reference to what is in the bag at all.
If the airlines put a sticker on saying "Firearms" then I would call that a real dumb policy.

If TSA places a seal only on bags containing firearms then that also raises questions. If it is on every bag then that would be different.

No indication of contents should be indicated on the outside of the bags.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The official says that investigators have reviewed videotape surveillance from JFK and saw the carrying case with the now-missing guns being loaded onto the wrong, Los Angeles-bound American Airlines plane. The official said that investigators now believe that the case was mistakenly routed to Los Angeles and that the guns disappeared there. The case had on a wrong routing tag that may have been left on the case from past airline trips.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If the airlines put a sticker on saying "Firearms" then I would call that a real dumb policy.

If TSA places a seal only on bags containing firearms then that also raises questions. If it is on every bag then that would be different.

No indication of contents should be indicated on the outside of the bags.
TSA does not place any sticker/seal on a bag which has a firearm inside. What TSO1973 was saying is depending on the baggage layout, we place a seal on every bag that it has been inspected.

Originally Posted by cordelli
The official says that investigators have reviewed videotape surveillance from JFK and saw the carrying case with the now-missing guns being loaded onto the wrong, Los Angeles-bound American Airlines plane. The official said that investigators now believe that the case was mistakenly routed to Los Angeles and that the guns disappeared there. The case had on a wrong routing tag that may have been left on the case from past airline trips.
Hmmm the other day I was working SW baggage and after a bag came through the CTX I went to put the inspection sticker on the baggage tag. The problem was there was 2 baggage destination tags. Both dated July 5th, going to different destinations, with different passenger names on it.

The SW ticket counter people were very busy, and obviously someone got confused and "tagged" a bag that was already tagged by another counter agent.

I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't caught that mistake? Maybe the SW baggage handler would have caught it? Dunno. And I wonder how common this mistake is.

I won't tell you how the SW counter agents figure out who's bag it was, passenger 1 or passenger 2-- no they did not call back either passenger to ask if it was their bag

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 10, 2010 at 6:12 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cordelli
I believe NYPA will ever to arrested TSO? He was trying to attempted stolens guns from checked bags. I believe he switched the guns in another checked bags and then, they sent the guns to LAX is wrong destinations cities. That was not appropriate to AA to put the bags tags for correctly right city code should be exact. It should have sending to DCA instead of going to LAX. It wasn't nobody their own fault from AA ticket agent. Who is your fault?

I think airlines will have more investigators to do review security surveillance camera again to find any incident against TSA officers to search the bags in the ETD. I believe TSA is big gravely mistaken for what they done something to Israeli security. I think they will have enough more evidence to find illegal activities. Hopefully if they will have to get disciplinary actions against TSO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.