Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

When a Black Diamond Lane is Not Really a Black Diamond Lane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA Premier

At PHL having just passed through the new Terminal D/E security checkpoint. Generally a nice checkpoint in the scheme of things but the TSA folks were directing everyone coming through to any of the lines even though one was clearly marked as the black diamond lane. While today the lines are not too long so it was not much of a problem for me, I can see that on a busy day having all the infrequent fliers and families that were in that lane would be a real problem. So, how often do you see this happening, what are your feelings about it (like I really have to ask this crowd...), and what can be done about it?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the TS/S Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mikester
So, how often do you see this happening, what are your feelings about it (like I really have to ask this crowd...), and what can be done about it?
I see this at MCO and HNL of all places quite often Two of the airports which have most likely one of the highest concentration of inexperienced, infrequent travellers, and/or families. YVR used to dump special needs, families, and Nexus all into one lane but thankfully stopped that.

I don't know why someone would want to put more stress on themselves by being in the midst of frequent, experienced travellers who may become impatient with the inexperienced passengers causing delays.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At PHL having just passed through the new Terminal D/E security checkpoint. Generally a nice checkpoint in the scheme of things but the TSA folks were directing everyone coming through to any of the lines even though one was clearly marked as the black diamond lane. While today the lines are not too long so it was not much of a problem for me, I can see that on a busy day having all the infrequent fliers and families that were in that lane would be a real problem. So, how often do you see this happening, what are your feelings about it (like I really have to ask this crowd...), and what can be done about it?
It was PHL. No other explanation needed, as this is possibly the worst airport in the entire country.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, WN, Marriott, SPG, HH, Hertz
I like the idea of these lanes. I've never actually seen them in use though. The places I go seem to just filter everyone into the same line and then fan them out to the arches.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
IAD uses the diamond lane as the disabled access lane too.

Also, it's the only one open at 4:30am, so everyone and their dog goes there instead of waiting for the main checkpoint to open at 5.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happens everywhere, file under 'don't sweat it.'
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by LessO2
Happens everywhere, file under 'don't sweat it.'
Over the years, as elite lines starting vanishing and this ridiculous experience level system was put into place by the TSA, I have noticed that more often than not, anyone can just walk into whichever lane they feel like, or the TSO's just close enough lanes to make it a generally bad experience for everyone.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:19 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
The "expert" lane in ATL after customs and baggage recheck is either closed when I go through there (which is often) or it is being used for families and people with special needs. It drives me nuts. I once asked if I could go through the "expert" lane and the women directing the sheeple told me it wasn't her job. Couldn't get anyone to allow me access to the "expert" lane. For goodness sake, just remove the darn "expert" sign if you are not going to use that lane as it was intended.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The diamond lanes are a hideous waste of money as they are currently used. *IF* they were to be held to their intended purpose and *IF* they were enforced, they might be marginally useful. Elite lines are far better as they are generally enforced (by the airline, I might add).
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:26 am

In my experience, the black diamond lanes are a farce anyway.

Here at Hobby, which is my home airport so the one I experience most frequently, it seems like EVERYONE thinks they're an "Expert Traveler"... including the Chatty Kathy with the TDC's, the "Oh, my laptop has to come out? Since when?" crowd, the "Three trips through the WTMD because they don't wanna take their cell phone out" people, etc.

Meanwhile, the "Family and Medical Liquid" lane, which one would figure would be the worst, is usually empty, or at best has one family with small kids in it... which still beats the expert lane by an order of magnitude.

Last trip 2 weeks ago, I was traveling with my family, and got to use the "Green lane"... my wife had timed the "Black Diamond" lane at almost an hour after dropping her off while having gone off property to park/etc... we were through the "Green Lane" inside of 5 minutes, and that was WITH two families in front of us.

Only down side in my experience is that roving TSOs sometime try to police the line. I'm actually taking to carrying a big bottle of saline, even though I don't wear contacts, just to get through.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by JoeBas
In my experience, the black diamond lanes are a farce anyway
As someone who likes to arrive at the gate just as boarding is beginning, I have to say, not having an elite line or premium class line to rely on is really beginning to get on my t1ts something chronic. This is the type of thing airlines should be looking out for. Instead, whenever I have complained to the airline, I always get a "well, the TSA took away our elite lanes". When I complain to the TSA, if they understand what I am talking about, they come back with "The airline decided not to pay for an elite line". I want the truth!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
The "expert" lane in ATL after customs and baggage recheck is either closed when I go through there (which is often) or it is being used for families and people with special needs.
Originally Posted by JoeBas
In my experience, the black diamond lanes are a farce anyway.
Sometimes, it's a farce because of the general length of all the lines.

In late May, I flew out of ATL (domestically, so the story above doesn't really apply). As I recall, the lines between the TDC and the WTMD were so long that there was no way to identify which line was which ... until much, much later, when I happened to pass the sign that informed me that I was in the Family Lane (even though I was on my own that day).

On the other hand, everyone flying out that day seemed to be moving at least as fast as the WTMDs/X-ray machines were working, so it wasn't like a Black Diamond Lane (or lanes) would've had much effect on throughput.

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Instead, whenever I have complained to the airline, I always get a "well, the TSA took away our elite lanes". When I complain to the TSA, if they understand what I am talking about, they come back with "The airline decided not to pay for an elite line". I want the truth!
You can't handle the truth!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
I don't know why someone would want to put more stress on themselves by being in the midst of frequent, experienced travellers who may become impatient with the inexperienced passengers causing delays.
The same reason someone with a full cart would choose the express lane.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:20 am
Suspended

I like the idea of these lanes. I've never actually seen them in use though.
Why the heck would you like these stupid lanes. Anyone who does fly a lot has status and already gets a business traveler lane. All this does it make business life more difficult for those that travel a lot. It always gets treated as just another lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.