Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Gate agents with fictitious names - standard practice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:19 am
Original Poster

On a recent trip on UAL I encountered a very abusive gate agent at SFO. When I asked for her name, she told me it was "Maria". I noticed later that her United name badge said "Arturo xxxxx". When I asked a different gate attendant why I would be given a fake name by the other agent, I was told "I don't know, sir, but that is her prerogative."

According to an on-site manager I spoke with on my return, gate agents are allowed to use fictitious names for their safety if they let a supervisor know, but they are not allowed to use multiple names. Is this a UAL policy or TSA-approved?

I reported this to TSA online as a security issue but have not received a response.

I wonder because this agent was not only hostile but, I believe, tried to have me removed from the flight. I think she was one step away from calling security. A lead gate agent mentioned a "personality" issue at work... And I am being flip here, but can I use a fictitious name if I feel the gate agent is a threat to my well-being?

The short version is that I asked to pre-board with a child after an unexpected 7-hour layover after flying from Asia. The longer version is posted on my blog: http://www.navalgazing.com/2010/07/0...irlines-abuse/ The even longer version was mailed to United Customer Service.

Last edited by Cholula; Jul 7, 2010 at 10:22 am Reason: Removing specific names of airline employees
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pnut
I reported this to TSA online as a security issue but have not received a response.
What does this have to do with the TSA? This is an airline policy issue. I completely disagree with agents being allowed to do this, but I have come across it in the past.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world
What does this have to do with the TSA? This is an airline policy issue.
I assumed TSA is responsible for checking the identity of everyone in a secure area of the airport. It genuinely concerns me that an airline employee is not identifiable. But had I snapped a photo, it probably would have been reported as threatening.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: nil
It is a nice information!!!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:35 am

Although the gate agent shouldn't be rude,you may be unduly critical. Perhaps the agent forgot their name? I too have encountered airline, airport, and TSA employees who either will not provide information or provide a name other than the one they have provided to their employer.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My favorite UA gate agent in the whole world works at OAK (or at least she did last time I was there). Her name tag says "Mud." So of course I asked her about it, and she says she adopted it because she heard so many times from her supervisors that "her name is mud when the bosses find out" that she adopted it.

An outstanding GA, by the way.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:30 am

I assumed TSA is responsible for checking the identity of everyone in a secure area of the airport.
They probably did, but it doesn't mean that she had to give you the same id that she gave the TSA.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, if you get a BP from that UA agent, you can look in the lower left corner for the Agent ID number (again, for UA BPs only). I've never had to resort to this, but it's there.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
I assumed TSA is responsible for checking the identity of everyone in a secure area of the airport. It genuinely concerns me that an airline employee is not identifiable. But had I snapped a photo, it probably would have been reported as threatening.
TSA checks the SIDA badge. Now the information that is given when the SIDA badge is issued is between the individual and the airport. The airport is the issuing authority on SIDAs, not TSA. If she is using an alias on the SIDA, that is between her and the airport.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:41 am

It's not "standard practice", but I fully support any employee who wishes to use an alternate identity when dealing with the public, provided of course that an adequate chain of accountability is maintained. (eg. If Tom wants to be called "Joe", the records should show that any reference to "Joe" actually refers to Tom). It's no different than an employee using their actual nickname like "Skip", "Bubba", "TJ" or similar in lieu of their legal name.

I've had multiple friends who work at the airport stalked, threatened and even physically assaulted outside work by irate passengers, so I understand the concerns that some employees may have.

I don't doubt that United will be able to identify the employee by the flight she was working at the time so whether or not she gave you a genuine name is a moot point.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: Lots
This has been policy at United for a long time. Agents are allowed to wear "fake" name tags as long as their supervisors are aware. During an incident a few years back that got to WHQ level, even some people there weren't aware of this policy.

I think it's abhorrent and usually an awesome indicator that the agent is sub-par. My experience only.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
I am conditionally OK with phoney names.

I don't really care if an agent or TSO or clerk or anyone else uses a fictitious name as long as they use something consistent and that can be used to identify them to their employer and supervisor.
If I have a problem with TSO Badge #12345 that's ok as long as TSA knows that Badge #12345 is John Jonz. If an FA uses Sarah Jane Smith on her name badge and I send a letter praising her work/attitude I want the airline to know who I am referring to.
I can understand that customer-facing people may not want to identify themselves to the general public but as long as their supervisor and company knows their real identity I'm OK with that.
I worked with someone who explained that he uses a different name when speaking with customers but when someone asked for Mike North, it always went to him and his supervisor knew who Mike North was. His real name was unusual enough that a customer could look in the phone book and find him very easily. He did not want to deal with the possibility (although very unlikely) that a customer may want to find him directly.
This opinion does not apply to a business-to-business situation.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Is this really a big deal?
I have never really concerned myself with an agents name other than to glance at their name tag and say " Good morning Betty".
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:40 am

I'm surprised nobody guessed the obvious - HE is in drag, probably preparing for a sex change operation. Why else would a guy named "Arturo" wish to be known by a girl's name, "Maria"?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:41 am

I don't see the issue with the name or with the preboard policy which is UA policy for families. I read the link.

I have seen many passengers including families become abusive towards GAs and can understand why their employer may support such a policy.

The airline can trace the employee if needed because they will know which GAs worked the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.