Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Pistole letter to TSA employees.

Date: July 1, 2010

To: All TSA Employees

Administrator

Subject: 100 – Message from the Administrator: Our Work Together

I am honored that President Barack Obama and Secretary Janet Napolitano chose me to lead TSA and I look forward to earning your confidence as we work together to achieve TSA’s counterterrorism mission.

National security and counterterrorism are familiar territory for me, and my 26-year career with the FBI has provided me with the skills and experience necessary to lead TSA in keeping the nation’s transportation systems secure.

I have learned throughout my career that the best way to successfully defeat those who seek to do us harm is through the hard work, commitment and dedication of a devoted workforce. Whether it is through gathering intelligence, screening passengers or supporting the agency’s overall efforts, it is your eyes, ears and minds that allows us to prevail. It is your effort, your will, and your dedication to the American people and each other that is our greatest asset.

Success in achieving TSA’s mission depends on all of us. In support of TSA’s workforce, I will dedicate myself to ensuring the highest standards of professionalism at all levels of the agency. This support must include an open dialogue. And in the coming weeks I plan to hold a series of live video conferences and face-to-face conversations with you as I travel to sites around the country.

To meet the transportation security challenges faced by our nation, we will continue to enhance TSA’s counterterrorism efforts domestically and internationally.

We know there will be a time when we will be severely tested. And when that occurs, we will react swiftly, respond appropriately, and show our resilience.

So as we push TSA’s mission forward, we will continue to work with the American people and each other to keep the traveling public safe.

I’d like to recognize Gale Rossides and the Senior Leadership Team for their efforts and support. And I’d like to thank each of you for all that you have done – and all that you will do – to secure our nation’s transportation systems.

I look forward to leading TSA and to working with all of you.

/s/ John S. Pistole
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
We're all doomed.

Had a moment of hope when I saw open dialogue, but then realized it wasn't with the public.

Also continuing to push TSA's mission forward. Anyone else worried about mission creep here? What IS TSA's mission anymore?

And what exactly ARE TSA's counterterrorism efforts domestically and internationally? I thought CT relied on organizations like CIA, NSA, FBI, and (nominally) DHS?

Scary that he's relying on their eyes, ears and minds. And that they'll respond "appropriately" and "swiftly." From what I've seen out of TSA, I've seen none of this. Except swiftly, because they're very good about kneejerk measures.

We're screwed.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"TSA's counterterrorism mission"? ROTFLOL

It seems that the TSA has another clown as its head.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
The dialog with the traveling public will be one way, "Education" according to his previous statements.

As for a dialog within the TSA, isn't that what IdeaFactory is all about, or is that just another boondoggle?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

I just sent Pistole an introduction letter of my own. )Damnit I just saw a typo, too late it is already on its way.)

Anyone want to take the odds of a reply?

Not for nothing but Kip had the stones to reply to me.

Congratulations on your new position. I hope the open dialog you spoke of in your introduction letter to TSA employees will also include and open dialog with the public.

If you take time to read the TSA blog ( http://blog.tsa.gov/ ), Flyer Talk ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-security-222/ ) or any reader comments on any TSA story you will see there is a great concern about the manner the TSA operates.

The concerns range from the inability of the Chief Counsel, Francine Kerner, to show the TSA's authority to force ID verification at the checkpoint in order to board a flight, the use of Whole Body Imagers (MMW and X-Ray) when they are easily defeated (if in doubt ask me how), the use of the more dangerous x-ray Whole Body Imagers when they provide no advantage to MMW Whole Body Imagers, the glacial response to Freedom of Information Act requests, the rampant employee theft issues and the employee abuse issues.

The above barely scratches the surface on what needs to be fixed at the TSA. You have a tough row to hoe but it must be hoed in order to get rid of the weeds that infest the TSA.

If you are wise you will allow the public the input you need to make the TSA an effective agency. One way you can do this is to make yourself available to Blogger Bob at the TSA blog. His contact info is below.

Curtis “Bob” Burns,
TSA Office of Public Affairs

Social Media Analyst

xxx-xxx-xxxx (O) xxx-xxx-xxxx (BB)

Sincerely

Michael Cummings A.K.A Trollkiller
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat, Virgin: Silver, Midwest, US Airways: Gold, NW, Lufthansa: Freq Trav
I don't think he nor the TSA will have time. Flying out of ORD this morning I saw 2 smurfs attaching new numbers onto bins. That takes precedence over fixing a problem.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wboll
I don't think he nor the TSA will have time. Flying out of ORD this morning I saw 2 smurfs attaching new numbers onto bins. That takes precedence over fixing a problem.
New numbers?!?! What an important assignment, keeping the sheeple safe!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
National security and counterterrorism are familiar territory for me, and my 26-year career with the FBI...
Apples and oranges John, apples and oranges.

TSA incompetence + FBI incompetence = ?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:04 pm

We know there will be a time when we will be severely tested. And when that occurs, we will react swiftly, respond appropriately, and show our resilience.
Meanwhile, continue practicing on the elderly, children and the disabled.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Well folks I have a reply from the new Kip.

Thanks Mike, appreciate your insights and advice.
John
At least I know the email address is valid. Anyone want to take bets that I have already been run through the FBI database?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Well folks I have a reply from the new Kip.

At least I know the email address is valid. Anyone want to take bets that I have already been run through the FBI database?
Have you applied yet to be BB's helper?

PM the email for dear leader if you wish.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Have you applied yet to be BB's helper?

PM the email for dear leader if you wish.
I would not mind being BB's helper if I could do so without fetters. I am hoping that by telling him to use Blogger Bob he will be more willing to engage the public.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Said the 3.4 Caliber Idiot: "we will continue to enhance TSA’s counterterrorism efforts domestically and internationally."

My worse fear. He plans to move TSA toward being an international police agency. Not surprising, after 26 years as a cop, IT IS ALL HE KNOWS HOW TO DO.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Said the 3.4 Caliber Idiot: "we will continue to enhance TSA’s counterterrorism efforts domestically and internationally."

My worse fear. He plans to move TSA toward being an international police agency. Not surprising, after 26 years as a cop, IT IS ALL HE KNOWS HOW TO DO.
I would welcome the TSA being a police agency. This would remove any excuses for their behavior and unconstitutional actions.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I would welcome the TSA being a police agency.
A legal police agency I hope you mean. I don't think that's his plan, just more usurpation of illegal and unauthorised powers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.