Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Nude-O-Scopes deliver radiation dose 20 times higher than first thought, warn expert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nude-O-Scopes deliver radiation dose 20 times higher than first thought, warn expert

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Airport body scanners deliver radiation dose 20 times higher than first thought, warns expert
The controversial use of full body scanners in airports could lead to an increase in skin cancers, according to leading scientists.

They say that the low level beam does deliver a small dose of radiation to the body but because the beam concentrates on the skin - one of the most radiation-sensitive organs of the human body - that dose may be up to 20 times higher than first estimated....

...The most likely risk from the airport scanners is a common type of skin cancer called basal cell carcinoma, according to the academic.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz0sGtCGdU1
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:38 pm

I'm shocked....
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Spotty "research" by the TSA? No surprise there.

I hope the lawsuits start rolling in, both against the agency and against the individuals responsible for their placement in airports.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
Spotty "research" by the TSA? No surprise there.

I hope the lawsuits start rolling in, both against the agency and against the individuals responsible for their placement in airports.
+1

Never would have guessed that TSA would lie.. I'm so shocked!

Another reason why I will always opt-out.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Not possible. These machines are operated by trained professionals who wear uniforms.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:27 pm
Suspended

We all knew this was going to happen.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Bueller? Bueller?

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Not possible. These machines are operated by trained professionals who wear uniforms.
In the words of Cameron: "A professional what?"
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:48 pm

Apparently the person is naive about what people hide in their hair...
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:51 pm

So how does one go about opting out of the body scan, and get an old fashioned pat-down with metal detectors? Does TSA make it difficult....like we are asking for the moon? Do they drag it out for 30 minutes? anyone try this?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
In the words of Cameron: "A professional what?"

Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PeasInAPod
So how does one go about opting out of the body scan, and get an old fashioned pat-down with metal detectors? Does TSA make it difficult....like we are asking for the moon? Do they drag it out for 30 minutes? anyone try this?
See this thread:

Refuse WBI
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by PeasInAPod
In the US, you can opt out and get groped instead. In the UK, where that article comes from, you have the choice of going through with it or simply not flying. It is beyond unacceptable.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
In the US, you can opt out and get groped instead. In the UK, where that article comes from, you have the choice of going through with it or simply not flying. It is beyond unacceptable.
If I am not mistaken in the UK individuals are selected to go through the scanner. They cannot force people with physical limitations through it, i.e., if one is in a wheelchair and cannot stand, or is wearing a sling or a cast. Ergo, when traveling through airports in the UK come prepared with an arm sling or a cane or even ask for a wheelchair assist.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
The TSA... wrong again.

What a complete waste of my and your taxpayer dollars.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
The TSA... wrong again.

What a complete waste of my and your taxpayer dollars.
Wrong? Wrong? The TSA is not wrong, Reverend. It is merely misunderstood, and becoming more so every day. It is seeking to accomplish exactly what it plans. One grain of sand through the hourglass at a time.

Precious quotes: "The Civil Aviation Authority, Department for Transport and Health Protection Agency insist that the technology is safe and say their tests show it would take 5,000 trips through the scanner to equal the dose of a single chest X-ray."

But the dose of a single CXR is distributed over the entire chest, not concentrated in the top 1-2 mm. What is the precise exposure? Remember: skin dose is a big concern in fluoroscopy, not total dose.

More physics for the bored.
Radiation dosimetry is measured in a variety of ways. Dose is the energy absorbed in matter by ionizing radiation as it travels through. (Units rads, rems, Gray, Sievert and the respective milli- micro- prefixes)

Exposure (X) is the way the amount of radiation is measured for x-rays in the energy range these machines use. It is measured in air, and provides an idea of the amount of actual radiation is emitted by the machines. Once we have exposure and the operating energy we can get a good idea of the biological dose and where that dose is being deposited.

Second quote: "Under current regulations, up to 5,000 scans per person per year can be conducted safely."

No. We do not know how many can be conducted safely. But under "current regulations" 5000 scans per person per year can be legally conducted. I don't know UK regulations, but in the US, assuming the same ICRU threshold, which have been reduced on successive occasions, the regulations may permit a certain threshold, but we must also get that dose in conformity with the principle known as ALARA. As Low As Reasonably Achievable. In the states that is considered 10% of the regulatory limit or if applied to the above comment, only 500 scans/person/year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.