Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Nearly refused entry by UK Border Agency because my US passport was never signed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nearly refused entry by UK Border Agency because my US passport was never signed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Does anyone who posts here ever ponder that approaching security agents with a chip on your shoulder isn't the most mature thing to do? Their job is to protect their country, whatever that country is. They aren't put there with the job description of "goodwill ambassador". Why in hell do you expect them to kiss your patootie? It seems not to matter what country does it to a traveler, they become evil incarnate. I'm glad I don't travel that way. Yeh, I could get pissed off AFTER something is done to me, though I'm not clear in my mind right now what that something is. But to be carrying that chip on your shoulder ahead of time, I mean, that person shouldn't travel at all. I don't want them to be in line ahead of me and poison the atmosphere for me.
Awww... too bad you can't choose who is in line ahead of you, sweetie.

In the meantime, perhaps someone will throw you a fish for 'not traveling that way'.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:20 pm

Spiff being a primary example of the "type of person" to whom I'm referring. God let him NOT be in my line. I deserve a chance to show my own charm.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:48 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Spiff being a primary example of the "type of person" to whom I'm referring. God let him NOT be in my line. I deserve a chance to show my own charm.
We love your 'charm' right here!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Ari
I'm not saying that it does. I'm not condoning or advocating the practice. I simply question the motives of someone who refuses to accept a card that says "SEE ID" because the card is 'not valid' since it is not technically signed on the back. So far, this thread has only proven my point; no one has a valid practical reason to reject such a card, so everyone discusses the advisibility, technicality and efficacy of this practice.
I've said one very valid, very practical reason to reject the card - THERE IS NOTHING TO CONNECT CARD AND ID. It also means that both the person presenting the card and the person accepting the card are breaking the T&Cs of the card and the card company aren't responsible if someone does use it illegally. So there's two rather good reasons for not putting "see ID" on your card.

Originally Posted by Ari
Fact: Photo-ID matching as a whole is no less effective signature matching as a whole in prevention credit card fraud. Fact: Accpetance of a card that says "SEE ID" with a matching ID is no less secure than accepting a card upon signature match. Opinion: Seeing an ID and matching it to a card makes it less likely that a petty thief (pickpocket) got a hold of a card and is using it before the owner calls it in missing, what I believe to be the majority of cases of lost or stolen cards used. Will attempt to find the facts to back this up. If my opinion is true, then writing "SEE ID" on the back of a credit card would seem to be the best way to prevent the majority of credit card fraud that would happen based on in-person use of another's card.
So if the card says "J Smith", then anyone called John Smith, Jane Smith, etc etc would be able to use it - and I suspect these days that organised groups could knock up legal looking ID in a few minutes. After all how many people in Idaho would even know what Alaskan ID looks like, let alone know if it's valid or not.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:01 am

Does anyone who posts here ever ponder that approaching security agents with a chip on your shoulder isn't the most mature thing to do? Their job is to protect their country, whatever that country is. They aren't put there with the job description of "goodwill ambassador". Why in hell do you expect them to kiss your patootie? It seems not to matter what country does it to a traveler, they become evil incarnate. I'm glad I don't travel that way. Yeh, I could get pissed off AFTER something is done to me, though I'm not clear in my mind right now what that something is. But to be carrying that chip on your shoulder ahead of time, I mean, that person shouldn't travel at all. I don't want them to be in line ahead of me and poison the atmosphere for me.
When I'm working and I have a run-in with one of these fools who has a chip on his shoulder, it makes me just that much happier to interact with those who approach me next without a combative attitude due to some imaginary grievance. When dealing with a guy with a chip on his shoulder, I find nothing annoys him more than staring back at him and not saying a word while I check his documents.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:09 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR
I've said one very valid, very practical reason to reject the card - THERE IS NOTHING TO CONNECT CARD AND ID. It also means that both the person presenting the card and the person accepting the card are breaking the T&Cs of the card and the card company aren't responsible if someone does use it illegally. So there's two rather good reasons for not putting "see ID" on your card.
1) So you consider signature match to be more reliable? I say they are equally unreliable.
2) I said practical reason. Small print is not a practical reason which I explained above.

So if the card says "J Smith", then anyone called John Smith, Jane Smith, etc etc would be able to use it - and I suspect these days that organised groups could knock up legal looking ID in a few minutes. After all how many people in Idaho would even know what Alaskan ID looks like, let alone know if it's valid or not.
And if I find a card on the street and look at the signature on the back, practice it a little and then use the card, what's the difference? Neither signature match nor ID match provide absolute protection against credit card fraud, so how can you choose one as being more secure than the other?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The UK routinely accepts passengers with foreign passports that are not signed. In many instances, the UKBA has little to no choice but to accept the foreign passport as presented unsigned.

In place of where the signature of the passport holder would go, UKBA often runs across the words "not able to sign" or something of the sort in the passport.

The US and Canada also routinely accept such foreign passports that are not signed; and if those passports were signed, it could well be considered defacement of the issuing authority's property.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 27, 2010 at 5:38 pm
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by König
Yeah, I noticed that I was treated better on average entering Canada as a US permanent resident. Once they did not open my foreign passport at all (GC was inside), and another time the CBSA lady officer did not even take passports from us, just asked if we had documents to re-enter the USA. On the other hand, entering Canada as a US citizen was not pleasant every time. But then CBSA and CBP are perhaps the only two agencies that treat visitors/citizens like suspected criminals.

As for OP, I do not even know why he bothered to open a thread about his experience. There is nothing out of ordinary in his case. But again, it would be nice if the signature was printed on the bio page just like in majority of contemporary passports around the world.
I'm wondering why so many people complain about the Canadian Customs & Immigration procedures. I've been travelling many times to YVR now and never have been bothered with unreasonable questions or any attitude whatsoever.

Contrary to the US where the CBP officials are often on a power trip and the treatment of intl arriving pax depends on the mood of the day. My recent experience at US Customs YVR was a 3 hour secondary inspection where a brand new agent was trained by a senior officer. He told him to take his time until he understood everything correctly. Not guilty of any wrongdoing he said to him "look for proof to charge him with 212 a) etc etc..." What about assuming the individual is innocent until you actually find an anomaly !? In the end I missed my flight. They of course had no proof or even indication of any wrongdoing on my end. Complaining about this will end nowhere and exactly that is what pi**ses me off, that they dont have to jusity themselves against anyone. I made it now my primary concern since beginning of the year to absolutely limit any transit or travel to the US, not spending any excessive funds there.

Now one could say, let the european countries crack down on things like this. Do not accept modified passports with extra pages, non signed passports and deny the individual entry. However that would be just as wrong as these condition go back to the incapability of the United States to provide sophisticated documents (come on, who applies for a passport at the post office & gets it delivered by regular mail) and the general culture of ignorance.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I'm wondering why so many people complain about the Canadian Customs & Immigration procedures. I've been travelling many times to YVR now and never have been bothered with unreasonable questions or any attitude whatsoever.
I have never been referred to the secondary by the CBSA, but their attitude (i.e, tone of voice, bunch of questions, giving commands, etc) did not vary greatly from that of our own CBP. I love Canada and I will travel there regardless of the border experience, but it still spoils first hour of the trip once you clear immigration control.

Contrary to the US where the CBP officials are often on a power trip and the treatment of intl arriving pax depends on the mood of the day. My recent experience at US Customs YVR was a 3 hour secondary inspection where a brand new agent was trained by a senior officer. He told him to take his time until he understood everything correctly. Not guilty of any wrongdoing he said to him "look for proof to charge him with 212 a) etc etc..."
It is troubling, especially considering that you are subjected to this kind of treatment on your own soil. Well, at least secondary inspection at pre-clearance areas should not be as intimidating as the secondary inspection in the USA. The worst thing for you would be being denied boarding and being kicked out of the pre-clearance area.

Now one could say, let the european countries crack down on things like this. Do not accept modified passports with extra pages, non signed passports and deny the individual entry. However that would be just as wrong as these condition go back to the incapability of the United States to provide sophisticated documents (come on, who applies for a passport at the post office & gets it delivered by regular mail) and the general culture of ignorance.
Would you prefer to show up in person at a local branch of the Ministry of the Internal Affairs to apply for a passport? And then come again to receive the passport in person? That is what I have to do in my other country of citizenship. The passport indeed seems more secure and durable, utilising a polycarbonate bio page with laser-engraved photo and the signature. I am not sure, however, that the quality would degrade if the processing was done through post office.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
However that would be just as wrong as these condition go back to the incapability of the United States to provide sophisticated documents (come on, who applies for a passport at the post office & gets it delivered by regular mail) and the general culture of ignorance.
I applied for both my Australian and UK passports at Australia Post outlets, but they were delivered via registered post.

Dave
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
OMG I did this very same stupid thing. Fortunately I was caught at my home airport because I was going to the UK! The lady said, "um, you can't go forward because your passport isn't signed," and I backed up and signed up, and all was well, and we all had a big laugh.

Originally Posted by gelplanes
My US passport was issued more than a year ago. I've used it to travel overseas and return to the US more than 8 times, never a problem.

Then.... I arrived at LHR and was told that I would be refused entry. The border inspector wanted to know how I was able to travel so many times(he saw all the entry/exit stamps/visas) when my passport signature line was blank. To be honest, I hadn't noticed it until now. I admit that it is my fault for signing it. However, I'm wondering if they can actually refuse me entry if I didn't sign my passport right there at the counter? I did sign it in front of the inspector and said(edited to avoid confustion: I only said it in my mind ) "there... you happy now?" He let me in and told me not to forget to sign my next passport... (8 years from now, I guess)
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:56 pm

(come on, who applies for a passport at the post office & gets it delivered by regular mail)
Pretty much the norm in the UK where the Post Office offers a service to validate your documents before sending them. Other people just pop the application in the nearest post box.

Originally Posted by peachfront
OMG I did this very same stupid thing. Fortunately I was caught at my home airport because I was going to the UK! The lady said, "um, you can't go forward because your passport isn't signed," and I backed up and signed up, and all was well, and we all had a big laugh.
Did you think in your mind "Are you happy now"?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 28, 2010 at 12:46 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by König
It is troubling, especially considering that you are subjected to this kind of treatment on your own soil. Well, at least secondary inspection at pre-clearance areas should not be as intimidating as the secondary inspection in the USA. The worst thing for you would be being denied boarding and being kicked out of the pre-clearance area.

Would you prefer to show up in person at a local branch of the Ministry of the Internal Affairs to apply for a passport? And then come again to receive the passport in person? That is what I have to do in my other country of citizenship. The passport indeed seems more secure and durable, utilising a polycarbonate bio page with laser-engraved photo and the signature. I am not sure, however, that the quality would degrade if the processing was done through post office.
Actually if it's a pre-clearance area yes or no it doesnt matter in the outcome. Ok you wouldnt have to fly all the way back to where you came from BUT the legal issues remain the same: If you get refused you lose for example your I-94-W rights and have to get a visa from now on. Or if they cancel your visa then you have to get a new one (in the BEST case) at the country of your residence.

From your username I assume you are a german citizen as well !? I prefer to have a secure and durable passport and gladly visit my Einwohnermeldeamt for this (which in our town is by far quicker than going to a busy postoffice in the U.S.) and pick it up there as well. The thought of my PP coming in the unregistered mail is not very comforting to me to say the least.

Pretty much the norm in the UK where the Post Office offers a service to validate your documents before sending them. Other people just pop the application in the nearest post box.
Are you recieving them registered or regular mail ?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 28, 2010 at 12:46 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:09 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
On my 1st trip to Greece I Was going thru Germany and my passport wasn't signed. Nothing happened the Agent just asked me to sign it and then we discussed baseball for a few minutes after that. lol....
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
On my 1st trip to Greece I Was going thru Germany and my passport wasn't signed. Nothing happened the Agent just asked me to sign it and then we discussed baseball for a few minutes after that. lol....
When was that ? The cracking down & fines on these things is a development of the past 2 years and more of a little fightback against the US who is harassing European Citizens during the entry process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.