Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

is prescription mouth wash allowed?(prescribed by dentist)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

if so, is there a limit on the amount?

thanks!
Old May 28, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Yes it is allowed and in any amount. Prescription mouthwash, just like the prescription toothpaste I carry, is a medical necessity for a lot of people.

Further, the TSA has no business even asking what it is for or to see proof.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Yes it is allowed and in any amount. Prescription mouthwash, just like the prescription toothpaste I carry, is a medical necessity for a lot of people.

Further, the TSA has no business even asking what it is for or to see proof.
I completely agree with your answer but we all know that what happens at a TSA checkpoint may be entirely different.

If you have a medically exempted liquid over 3.4oz and a TSA employees says it cannot be cleared stand your ground, get others involved.

If all else fails be sure to get names and file complaints against the individuals.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by caviarwire

thanks!
The policy is that prescription medications (liquid, aerosols, and gels) that you could reasonably be expected to use on a plane are allowed. There is no blanket medical exemption, this is a judgement call based on the length of the flight and the type of medical item that you for which you are requesting an exemption.

castro
Old May 29, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by castrobenes
The policy is that prescription medications (liquid, aerosols, and gels) that you could reasonably be expected to use on a plane are allowed. There is no blanket medical exemption, this is a judgement call based on the length of the flight and the type of medical item that you for which you are requesting an exemption.

castro
I believe you have misstated TSA policy. If not then TSA is not being truthful with the public.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...eds/index.shtm

From TSA.GOV

TSA's checkpoint security screening procedures for persons with disabilities and medical conditions have not changed as a result of the current threat situation. All disability-related equipment, aids, and devices continue to be allowed through security checkpoints once cleared through screening.

Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
Frozen items are allowed as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 requirements.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I believe you have misstated TSA policy. If not then TSA is not being truthful with the public.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...eds/index.shtm

From TSA.GOV
I think that TSA public relations does a particularly poor job of explaining policy to passengers. Unfortunately this is an example.

The guidance we have received is that the passengers are allowed any medical items that passengers need in the course of their travels is allowed. Items not needed during travel are prohibited.

castro
Old May 29, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I think that TSA public relations does a particularly poor job of explaining policy to passengers. Unfortunately this is an example.

The guidance we have received is that the passengers are allowed any medical items that passengers need in the course of their travels is allowed. Items not needed during travel are prohibited.

castro
Okay, now I am confused.

Is it :

or

or

TSA's checkpoint security screening procedures for persons with disabilities and medical conditions have not changed as a result of the current threat situation. All disability-related equipment, aids, and devices continue to be allowed through security checkpoints once cleared through screening.

Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

castro
Thanks for confirming that the information provided by DHS/TSA on the TSA web pages is incorrect. I'll be sure to reference your comments with my next letter to my congress-critters.

Your first post only mentioned prescription medicines. No mention of over the counter items which I believe are permitted after screening.

Secondly, I don't think any TSA employee working a checkpoint is properly prepared to know how much of any one medical item may be needed for any given person. I would hope that you and TSA understands that a person has to plan for delays that might require a person to have in their possession more of some items than may seem normal.

Are you willing to be sued for practicing medicine?

That apparently is what is going to be required to get TSA out of the medical profession.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; May 29, 2010 at 10:55 am Reason: our to out
Old May 29, 2010, 10:56 am

Old May 29, 2010, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firebug4
Nah, short show. Gotta go pick up my FLHTCUSE5 from the shop.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:17 am

castro
And herein lines the problem. As discussed on the distilled water and contact lens threads, the assumptions made by some TSA and some posters that passengers do not need items in their course of travel is simply false. The power to make that determination should not rest with someone who lacks proper medical training.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by caviarwire

thanks!
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: If the liquid container is larger than 3.4 ounces it will be tested for prohibited and/or dangerous compounds (H2O2 being one, there are several). If it fails this test it will not be allowed past the checkpoint. Read the label or ask your dentist about the contents and about alternative products if you believe that it may contain prohibited compounds.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thanks for confirming that the information provided by DHS/TSA on the TSA web pages is incorrect. I'll be sure to reference your comments with my next letter to my congress-critters.

Your first post only mentioned prescription medicines. No mention of over the counter items which I believe are permitted after screening.

Secondly, I don't think any TSA employee working a checkpoint is properly prepared to know how much of any one medical item may be needed for any given person. I would hope that you and TSA understands that a person has to plan for delays that might require a person to have in their possession more of some items than may seem normal.

Are you willing to be sued for practicing medicine?

That apparently is what is going to be required to get TSA out of the medical profession.

Feel free to cite anything I write on this board in your letter to congress.

I have no agenda on this issue and would be happy to follow policy that said anything that a passenger says is for medical reasons is exempted. Unfortunately that is not the guidance they have given us. I follow procedure and practices given to us. My personal pet peeve is that the organization often gives out misleading info to the public. I wish they would stop.

Also feel free to sue me. I am following agency directions, and the specific instruction of my supervisors. I also have professional liability insurance, so my legal bills will be paid. I also don't have deep pockets so I am not an attractive target for lawyers. The first thing any lawyer you contact will tell you is that you want to focus the lawsuit on the TSA rather than me simply because I have very little resources.

Anyone sueing me has an obligation to mitigate damages. If the denial of medication could result in catastrophic damages to a person, the person cannot allow those damages to occur and get an automatic judgement. They need to take some action to prevent the damages, and then theoretically can sue for the cost of the effort to mitigate the damages. This substantially reduces the potential damages. The legal fees will be larger than any damages which will drive away lawyers.

I guess you could pull me before some type of medical review board for practicing medicine. After they laugh at you, the issue will be dismissed.

castro
Old May 29, 2010, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

castro
bolding mine: and if i may, where did you get your m.d.?
Old May 29, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First

castro
I need some clarification on this statement.

If I am traveling for, say, a month to the Scottish Highlands and need a prescription mouthwash or shampoo or the like that I purchase in the U.S. under my U.S.-based health insurance plan (which, incidentally, doesn't pay for medical services provided outside of the U.S.), what business is it of the TSA's how much I bring or why I need it?

I can assure you that a month away overseas is going to mean a container larger than 3.4 ounces of prescription mouthwash or shampoo.

We have read stories on here and on PV of people being told they can't take X amount because it isn't necessary, and that has even extended to parents being told they can only take a certain amount of formula for their infants on the plane.

So, walk me through why the TSA has any business involving itself (outside of its testing of the liquid) in my transportation of a quantity of prescription medication.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.