FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Plastic ties on luggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1087744-plastic-ties-luggage.html)

bajajoes Aug 26, 2011 1:28 pm

For What It's Worth.

^ IF you have access to nothing else the edge of a credit card run rapidly across will cut it. May have to run across twice but it works.@:-)

JDiver Aug 26, 2011 1:35 pm

I have never had problems with a nail clipper (no file) and using that to clip zip ties. On rare occasion when my zip ties have been opened, they have usually (not in every location) been replaced. I use these for our dive bags, and carry extra zip ties; I tend to use the serialized ones because they look like maybe it's a government property, but I have used both for many years - at least 45 - with nary a problem.

Travelomania Dec 19, 2011 11:39 am

FWIW ...

I'am always able to open mine in seconds with the help of a large safety-pin :D

chollie Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Firebug4 (Post 14002359)
One simple ball point pen is all that is needed to get in that suitcase that is pictured and it will be done without distrubing that seal at all. You would not be able to tell the suitcase had been opened at all. I can't figure out how to get a picture to post either. I am just too tired.
FB

If your bag has a loop at one end of the zipper (part of the bag, not the zipper), loop the zip tie through that as well as through the zip pulls.

It's pretty difficult to 're-heal' a plastic zipper after you've broken through if you can't slide the zipper pulls.

I have a couple very old (>40 years) duffel bags that have metal zippers that also limit/prevent access with a ball point pen.

texmanufan Jan 2, 2012 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 17001053)
I have never had problems with a nail clipper (no file) and using that to clip zip ties. On rare occasion when my zip ties have been opened, they have usually (not in every location) been replaced. I use these for our dive bags, and carry extra zip ties; I tend to use the serialized ones because they look like maybe it's a government property, but I have used both for many years - at least 45 - with nary a problem.

I have always used nail clippers as well. They are attached to my key ring that I carry-on.

sushanna1 Jan 2, 2012 3:31 pm

Twist tie person here. I can usually tell quickly whether or not it has been tampered with. Cheaper than zip ties and easier to remove. Only ever had one thing disappear--my favorite travel umbrella.

SummerHologram Jan 3, 2012 1:08 pm

We've used both plastic ties and TSA approved lock - and had both removed and not replaced, with cut damage to brand new luggage when we used the lock.

They removed a stainless steel water canister we use for camping from the check luggage one time and a travel stove (no fuel) the other time.

And damaged the luggage each time. Brand new (expensive) suitcase is now pretty much useless.

rxalexa Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm

FYI, According the TSA website, you can carry on pliers/wire-cutters as long as the length does not exceed 7 inches and scissors as long as the length does not exceed 4 inches.

stifle Mar 15, 2012 4:11 pm

However, don't try those in Europe, where the maximum length is 6 centimetres for both (a little over 2 inches).

Pesky Monkey Mar 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 18208441)
However, don't try those in Europe, where the maximum length is 6 centimetres for both (a little over 2 inches).

Or in the U.S. where they don't know what the rules are.

InkUnderNails Mar 15, 2012 10:26 pm

TSO tells me my bag needs extra screening. She sees the cable tie and says she will have to go get something to cut it. I tell her the outside pocket has toenail clippers she is welcome to use. She digs them out, cuts off the tie and removes by freedom baggie, the first time it was found in many months. She does not check the baggie, though. She runs the backpack sans baggie back through xray and gives me an OK. I need to get some little dikes. It might be fun.

janetdoe Mar 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Nail clippers.

emidano May 3, 2012 8:50 pm

What's a "freedom baggie"?

stifle May 4, 2012 5:37 am

Originally Posted by emidano (Post 18511129)
What's a "freedom baggie"?

Slang term for the 1-litre (or 1-quart) zip-top plastic bag in which you must deposit your under 100ml (or 3.4-ounce) containers of liquids and gels prior to passing through security checkpoints at airports. So called because obviously preventing larger containers will protect our freedom :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Often1 May 4, 2012 5:43 am

Originally Posted by fly-yul (Post 13999443)
I use zip ties all the time when I'm checking in expensive wine. They provide the best evidence of someone tampering with your luggage. I try to buy unusual color zip ties as that would prevent someone from opening and re-zipping and not being detected.

1. Locking or using a zip tie is at best useless. If anything, it points thieves to luggage containing items which pax really don't want stolen.

2. If TSA is going to open your bag, they will put a note in it saying they did and you will know. Perhaps they won't, but nothing is missing and you'll never know or care.

3. If one of the other thousand people from bag check to bag claim at however many airports your bag passes through wants to steal from your luggage, they cut the tie, take the item(s) and they will be missing when you arrive. You will know you've been victimized because the item(s) will be missing. Having a tie or lock doesn't "prove" anything.

All this does is complicate your own life and doesn't make your luggage or its contents one whit safer.