Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBS Evening News slams SPOTniks tonight

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
And that is if you believe the TSA statement's implicit but not explicitly stated claim that these 1700 perps were a direct result of spotnik intervention.
Looking at the checkpoint capabilities, that's probably right. More resources wasted on things that are not a threat to commercial aviation:

Old May 20, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
it's not only drugs they report. it's 'large' amounts of cash or coins. As someone who likes to collect US gold and silver coins and often buy them when I'm traveling, the scariest part of flying is going through the checkpoint

also, most of the time requests for a private search are ignored, and they don't understand my desire to keep the bag within my view at all times. I should be extended that courtesy

afaik they are trained to report to LEO any 'cash' over 10k, so they ponder my bags for a while at the xray and call others over to look at it. It's disgusting. coins are clearly no danger to the plane. let me board, and give me some privacy

Let see how fast you would complain if a known wanted child molester was seated next to your child on an eight hour flight and maybe took advantage of the situation.
I , for one, would much rather sit next to a known, wanted, child molester on a plane than sit next to a child!

DHS should not be checking outstanding warrants on people, should not be checking to see if pax are behind on their child support, etc. They should be keeping bombs, weapons off the plane, and look for specific people who are on a list. That's it.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old May 20, 2010, 9:09 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
I'm up late and can't sleep. It passes the time.
Try Xanax. Or Sonata. Or both. They work like a charm.

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Good job passing time - your response was excellent!

^ Kudos ^

Steve
Agree 100%

^ to PTravel's responses.

Originally Posted by halls120
What they do is increase the cost of air travel by creating an atmosphere of fear. They do nothing to stop a dedicated terrorist, all while ignoring the more credible threats to the safety of air transportation. TSA is a jobs program and Kabuki theater all wrapped up into one package.
Clearly it worked-- look at Pgladb's posts: All paranoia and fear with the added bit about the close deaths on 9/11 as a justification for anything the TSA does, irrespective of its efficacy. That is the exact twisted logic that got us into this mess in the first place.
Old May 20, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Pgladb
Are you all so stupid that you can't understand the value of security personnel watching the passengers as they prepare to enter the security process?
What value does watching passengers provide ? Now if they were, in fact, detecting terrorists by use of their mind-melding talents you might have a point.

Definitions of stupidity vary; mine includes falling for TSA disinformation.
Old May 20, 2010, 9:33 am

Grow up America the terrorist are out there and they want to kill you.
If that's the case, and if as TSA would have us believe, these would-be criminals are in the United States, why do you suppose that not one of them has detonated a bomb just outside the areas TSA controls -- where hundreds of people are queued up waiting to enter? Or at sporting events, concerts, or anywhere else that thousands of people congregate?

Please tell me what civil liberties you have lost with TSA?
Freedom of movement, and thus freedom of assembly. TSA requires us to request and receive permission from our government to travel within the United States by what is in many cases the only feasible means of travel.

Also, note that the public right of freedom of transit by air is guaranteed by the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. Freedom of movement is also guaranteed by Article 12 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, a human rights treaty signed and ratified by the US.

Originally Posted by ORDofcr
The point I was trying to make was that based upon the individuals behaviors, the individual was selected for enhanced screening of their person and personal property and the drugs were found. I can most definitely agree that drugs are not WEI. I was merely trying to point out that the methods to conceal drugs are much like the methods to conceal explosives or weapons, and that the individual was exhibiting behaviors and the BDO's picked up on them.
Maybe the BDOs picked up on that, and maybe they just happened to take a large enough random sample that they found some of the many people who carry controlled substances via commercial air. This would be more significant if we knew how many false positives those BDOs pestered before coming across people with drugs.
Old May 20, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Civil liberties don't include your right to fly on comercial airlines without inspection. Please tell me what civil liberties you have lost with TSA?
Do you even understand civil liberties?
I do.

The "limited administrative search" performed at the checkpoint exceeded the Fourth Amendment until the TSA was curbed by Fofana.

There have been First Amendment violations described here on FT (do a search on "Kip Hawley is an Idiot"

In my opinion (and I'm a lawyer, something you're clearly not), the No Fly List, as administered, violates Fifth Amendment due process. As I understand it, some lawsuits are working their way through the courts, so we'll see if I'm right.

TSOs have seized property in violation of the Fifth Amendment.

TSOs have detained people in violation of the Fifth Amendment.

In addition to constitutional violations, TSOs have committed theft, assault (see the thread about the 93 year old woman who had her food confiscated), kidnapping (see the thread about the TSOs who separated a young child from its parent) and filing false police reports (see Phil's thread about his arrest in Phoenix), all of which are criminal acts.

Now, would you care to share your understanding of "civil liberties"?
Old May 20, 2010, 9:56 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSOs have detained people in violation of the Fifth Amendment.
Do you mean 4th or 5th?
Old May 20, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Just heard Rep. Mica on the news. He's pretty much said everything we've said on here. TSA is an abysmal failure, it's out of control, and a waste of tons of money.

Now the question is ... what's he gonna do about it?
Old May 20, 2010, 10:04 am

cross-reference related post

TSOs have committed [...] filing false police reports (see Phil's thread about his arrest in Phoenix)
I think you meant Albuquerque, not Phoenix. See FT "Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID," along with blog posts from the Identity Project: "Traveler arrested at Albuquerque TSA checkpoint", "Albuquerque police still pressing charges against traveler who tried to exercise his rights" and Cannabis Defense Coalition: "Activist arrested at Albuquerque airport".
Old May 20, 2010, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Superguy
Just heard Rep. Mica on the news. He's pretty much said everything we've said on here. TSA is an abysmal failure, it's out of control, and a waste of tons of money.

Now the question is ... what's he gonna do about it?
He's said some variant of the same thing for quite awhile - and has done nothing about it, nor has he attempted to build any consensus among his committee to beat the TSA over the head with a stick.

Of course I'll take this sort of political grandstanding over the crap that comes from Rep. King's pie hole.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Ok! This is fun! I'll play:

On the left is a passenger confronting a seat squatter.

On the right is a Southwest passenger trying a proven strategy to keep someone from taking the middle seat next to him.

Last edited by reamworks; May 20, 2010 at 10:32 am
Old May 20, 2010, 10:28 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Civil liberties don't include your right to fly on comercial airlines without inspection. Please tell me what civil liberties you have lost with TSA?
Do you even understand civil liberties?
You ought to study the difference between civil rights and civil liberties as your question asks about the latter, but you seem to be pushing it towards the former.

So, to directly answer your question, I have lost the civil liberty of traveling by plane without the sick, disgusting, un-American harassment of showing my ID to some government actor who should not be employed by the federsl government, I have lost the civil liberty of not being harassed about the liquids I take with me when I travel, and I have lost the civil liberty of keeping my shoes on at the checkpoint/WTMD thanks to some sick idiot pervert named Kip Hawley.

Civics 101 awaits you.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
<cue music>
(to the tune of three blind mice (or the three stooges theme if you prefer )

see spot run
see spot run
they haven't caught a ter'wrist
they haven't caught a ter'wrist
oh, see spot run
Old May 20, 2010, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
He's said some variant of the same thing for quite awhile - and has done nothing about it, nor has he attempted to build any consensus among his committee to beat the TSA over the head with a stick.

Of course I'll take this sort of political grandstanding over the crap that comes from Rep. King's pie hole.
Hopefully now that he has some real ammo, something will be done.

Yes, I'm not terribly hopeful, but there isn't much out there to hope about.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Do you mean 4th or 5th?
5th -- no person shall be deprived of liberty without due process of law.

Originally Posted by pmocek
Thanks for the correction. And best of luck!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.