Wiki Posts
Search

CBS Evening News slams SPOTniks tonight

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 11:17 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
What is it, Ari? Overwhelmed by the facts of the matter. Do I have to spell it out?
Abdulmuttalab got by TSA when he had no explosives on him!!!! Lots of people who pose no danger at all at the moment when they are being screened "get by". For those too dense to "get it", the job is to stop dangerous people who are armed to violate security in the air!!! The one time Abdulmuttalab fit that description, he was cleared in Europe! TSA wasn't doing the screening.

I just hope this isn't too complex a train of thought for people attempting to participate in this conversation. Those who can't follow it, maybe go look for something less meaty, more frivolous.
Um, Abdulmuttalab is the Crhristmas-day underwear bomber, not the Times Square bomber . . . Shazad is the Times Square bomber. GUW's post was talking about the Times Square bomber-- I wasn't sure what Amsterdam has to do with the Times Square bomber (Shazad). I'm still not.

If you used the quote feature instead of just posting replies, the post to which you are responding might be more clearly identified. Since GUW's was the most recent post having to do with a specific terrorist, I assumed you were responding to his post which I believe to be a fair assumption. This confusion can be avoided in the future by using the quote feature when you respond. You are free to correct the record, however, and tell us you were not responding to GUW's post but to another post and indicate which one.

In addition, I believe my post which quoted GUW's post and your post in succession put you on fair notice of the exact nature of the issue I wished to clarify. You responded with a somewhat abrasive post that didn't address the discrepency but repeated stuff about Abdulmuttalab and didn't address Shazad which just adds to the confusion.

Again, all this confusion can be avoided in the future by using the quote feature when you respond instead of just hitting "post reply".
Old May 21, 2010, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Showing your age, SG, talking about analog clocks.

TSA is a broken digital clock*, which is never right.

*Broken digital anti-tewwowist clock purchased from L3 on a $5 billion no bid contract per recommendation of Chertoff Consulting.
Point taken.

And I'm not that old ... you may even be older than me.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:52 am

Blogger Bob and the Identity Project weigh in

TSA SPOT Program: Still Going Strong (TSA.gov)

Is “SPOT” a reasonable basis for suspicion or surveillance? (PapersPlease.org)
Old May 21, 2010, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I agree completely ... but that's a slightly different point. Saying the BDO program failed because it didn't catch this guy is just as problematic as saying the BDO program is a success because they catch lots of drug couriers.
Originally Posted by Superguy
The bottom line of the program is that it doesn't work. It "detects" people who aren't threats and and doesn't "detect" people who likely are. And how TSA defines it, "success" is a very fluid term.
I agree. I'm just trying to make a subtle point here, and apparently failing miserably.

Saying that the BDO program is a failure because it doesn't find bad people who aren't a threat to aviation isn't a fair criticism, because the BDO program was never designed for that purpose. Once we start playing the game of how many bad non-terrorists the BDO program does, or doesn't, detect, we're legitimizing the faulty premise in the first place.

We should focus on the core question: how many direct threats to aviation security have BDOs detected and averted? That's the only metric that should matter.
Old May 21, 2010, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ari
It wasn't a TSA failure since he didn't have explosives with him when he flew-- just ask LAF.

They also missed him on his way out after the botched bombing-- you'd think he'd have been nervous then with the manhunt and all and exibited those telltale microexpressions, but the TSA didn't SPOT him. Alas, he didn't have explosives with him, so all is well.
.... but, but, but aren't the TSA SPOTters supposed to focus on "people" not "objects"? Oh, how could I miss that? Must be a TSA SPOTnik or apologist for idiocy in the name of "security", as "trained" TSA SPOTniks have "zero" history of failing to catch those plotting and/or attempting terrorist acts who flew from the airports where the TSA has these "trained" voodoo "security" TSA employees deployed. My bad, if in an imaginary world.

Originally Posted by doober
Did he ever travel to the US before 12/25 - or is LAF thinking of the Times Square bomber who traveled back and forth?
LAF seems to be confusing the issue. I was clearly commenting about the failed "Times Square bomber".

About the failed "underwear bomber", it had been reported that the failed "underwear bomber" from Nigeria had entered the US before -- unsurprisingly, to visit Houston -- and exited the US quite some time before 12/25/2009. Last I checked Houston had "trained" TSA voodoo "security" personnel too.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old May 21, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
When he boarded his return flight to head home, he didn't have malicious intent anymore; his malicious acts were already completed. He wasn't trying to hide his identity; he checked in under his own name, and presumably showed his own ID. I'm not sure there was anything for a BDO to detect.

I think there are plenty of reasons to criticize the BDO program ... but I'm not sure this case is one of them.
Bolding mine, but that's exactly my point.

The precept of the SPOT program AIUI is that the BDOs are trained(sic) to pick out unusual stress demeanors. It's possible, as you say, that Shazad was acting real cool (cf. Atta) although he is reported to have been anxious 'they' were after him and said "I was expecting you" when arrested.

In either case - he was exhibiting no behavior to indicate anxiety, or he was and it wasn't picked up; it's scarcely an endorsement of the whole sorry program.
Old May 21, 2010, 6:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone catch this?

PDF Page 64 (Report Page 57):

TSA Training Standards and Evaluation Branch Recommendations for Improving SPOT Training and TSA Actions on the Recommendations

. . .

Provide recurrent training outside of TSA (more Immigration and Customs Enforcement, DEA, and CBP training).

. . .

The TSA Standards and Evaluation Branch thinks that BDO's need more training with ICE, DEA and CBP. There you have it; mission creep in black and white.
Old May 21, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: DHS/TSA
Originally Posted by Ari
Anyone catch this?

PDF Page 64 (Report Page 57):

The TSA Standards and Evaluation Branch thinks that BDO's need more training with ICE, DEA and CBP. There you have it; mission creep in black and white.
Same page other column

TSA action on recommendations

No Actiona

a According to TSA, the SPOT program office will determine if the recommended action is appropriate after the BDO job task analysis and training task analysis are completed.

No mission creep... yet...
Old May 21, 2010, 8:03 pm

My contention is that TSA has not failed in what it is supposed to do. Their job is to keep airline passengers safe. No one yet has shown that the failed. Not one of you people with your imaginative evasions of the central issue has presented a single instance of failure. Your idea of a "response" is an eye-rolling emoticon. That's a grade school debater, not an adult response. I'm gonna take it for granted that if you actually had an instance, you would have presented it. You haven't. So you're just dancing around and hoping to impress someone. I suppose there are some that gullible, and that's their problem. I'm sure the TSA people know you've failed.
Old May 22, 2010, 6:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
My contention is that TSA has not failed in what it is supposed to do. Their job is to keep airline passengers safe.
I read an article in the Western Australian today that says tests have found approximately 75% of simulated explosives and bomb components are missed by TSA employees. The article does not cite the source of the information.

If this is in fact true, would you consider it a TSA success? How about if a single item of this sort was taken through security by someone to test out the system? How about single items brought on board by several different passengers on the same flight being screened by the same TSA employee?

Is a 75% failure rate acceptable for these?

Tom in Perth, Australia
Old May 22, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Yeah, spell it out.

This voodoo program is a waste of money. Accomplishes nothing. Well, unless you consider spending millions and millions to employ unemployable people practicing witchcraft not wasting money. When you have screeners not knowing that 3 1/3 is less than 3.4, you have bigger issues than this crap.
Wonder what we'll do with these BDOs when the program gets shut down as they won't have any marketable job skills?
Old May 22, 2010, 6:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Wouldn't they just merge them back into the ranks of TSA screeners? Just read that they lost 67,000 screeners between 2000-2008, so looks like they have plenty of turnover to open positions.
Old May 22, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
My contention is that TSA has not failed in what it is supposed to do. Their job is to keep airline passengers safe. No one yet has shown that the failed. Not one of you people with your imaginative evasions of the central issue has presented a single instance of failure.
Speaking of the central issue, this thread is about the efficacy or otherwise of the SPOT/BDO program. We (except perhaps you) are not discussing an overarching failure of the TSA; just one particular unproven, unscientific and tangential aspect of it.

Some do believe the TSA should be catching drug users, pedophiles, fraudsters and other petty criminals; others think it should restrict its activities to "what it is supposed to do. Their job is to keep airline passengers safe (ibid)".

Safe from weapons, explosives and incendiaries.
Old May 22, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
The precept of the SPOT program AIUI is that the BDOs are trained(sic) to pick out unusual stress demeanors.
TSA claims that the purpose of SPOT is different. At least, Blogger Bob says so in the most recent entry over at the TSA Blog:

Originally Posted by Blogger Bob
For those of you not familiar with the SPOT program, BDOs are trained to detect behaviors that one exhibits in response to the fear of being discovered.
If he wasn't afraid of being discovered, then there was nothing for a BDO to detect.

Whether there is anything for a BDO to detect in the first place ... well, I'll let wiser heads than I debate that one.
Old May 22, 2010, 8:39 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ORDofcr
Same page other column

TSA action on recommendations

No Actiona

a According to TSA, the SPOT program office will determine if the recommended action is appropriate after the BDO job task analysis and training task analysis are completed.

No mission creep... yet...
yup, no mission creep yet but the fox is sure guarding the hen house

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.