Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Have you been mistaken for a diplomat when using US Passport Card in foreign country?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you been mistaken for a diplomat when using US Passport Card in foreign country?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
My only concern would be that a civilian AMerican using the card be mistaken for someone affiliated with the US military. That of course would be unfortunate.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
1) Several countries require that you have it with you (I always carry mine)
Sure. For instance, in former Soviet countries police can stop you for no reason and ask you for a passport book that you are supposed to carry at all times. Their own citizens are supposed to carry internal passport books all the time, so police will not accept a foreign ID card from a foreigner. However, in countries that have national ID cards and accept neighbouring national ID cards, a US citizen is not likely to encounter problems when carrying and using passport card instead of a passport book. That is my personal experience with many European countries.

2) Checking into a hotel, one usually has his passport!
I typically fly to Germany to visit relatives for a summer and then rent a car and drive wherever my desire takes me In this case, I leave my passport book at relatives home and use my passport card to check into hotels. Never failed me. The hotel clerks always ask if I have my passport, and I always reply, "Is passport card OK?". I guess the word "passport" always makes them very cooperative

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
My only concern would be that a civilian AMerican using the card be mistaken for someone affiliated with the US military. That of course would be unfortunate.
The problem is that the design of this passport card is uber-patriotic. If the genii from the State Department went with a clean minimalistic design instead of a gigantic US flag running through the person's photo, it may not have been mistaken for a military ID of any sort.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old May 19, 2010, 2:39 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Not everyone feels the way you do about the US Armed Forces.

Several do, many don't-- most can at least contain themselves.
Old May 19, 2010, 4:13 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
The only times I have ever heard of of American Military folks having anti-military type problems in Asia is is near big bases or other large deployments where boys will be boys and they sometimes clash with the local thugs. But that is generally more bar brawl or extension thereof type problems. I often wear a US Army Digi-camo Boonie cap on the street in casual situations mainly because it keeps the sun out of my face in tropical climates and my head is to darned big to fit in most ball caps. I have been asked a number of times if I was in the US Army because of the cap. (I'm not, just a good hat for blocking the sun). It has always seemed positive when the question was asked. I never got the idea anyone was going to cut my throat if I answered wrong. Folks who say they are constantly facing anti-American sentiment in SEAsia perplex me because I get around there ALLOT and I personally just don't see it. I can understand it may be different in the Mid East or Europe. I don't travel there so I don't know. But with the exception of a relatively few extremist types you see on the news but never meet in person, in SE-Asia they seem to love Americans. Or at least me anyway
Old May 19, 2010, 6:29 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by König
Sure. For instance, in former Soviet countries police can stop you for no reason and ask you for a passport book that you are supposed to carry at all times.
That's fascinating.

Other countries have a requirement that foreign nationals carry their passports. Here in the USA, you have to carry your I-94, though not your passport.

I typically fly to Germany to visit relatives for a summer and then rent a car and drive wherever my desire takes me In this case, I leave my passport book at relatives home and use my passport card to check into hotels. Never failed me. The hotel clerks always ask if I have my passport, and I always reply, "Is passport card OK?". I guess the word "passport" always makes them very cooperative
Yet the OP is afraid of the consequences of using his Passport Card and being confused for a diplomat ergo, he can his Passport and avoid the problem. @:-)

I thought my point was pretty simple, though I did assume he had his Passport on him which you point out is not an entirely fair assumption in hindsight.
Old May 19, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: Vanishing
Sure. For instance, in former Soviet countries police can stop you for no reason and ask you for a passport book that you are supposed to carry at all times.
In Moskva in the old Soviet Union days they kept your passport in the hotel and told you to wander around town without it. But I digress.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by L-1011
In Moskva in the old Soviet Union days they kept your passport in the hotel and told you to wander around town without it. But I digress.
Oh, those days are gone Now you can wonder around the country all you want as long as the hotels register you with the authorities. If you stay with family or friends, that is a bit more PITA since they will have to go to the post office and register your stay. But still, can't be compared to the good old USSR
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:25 pm

The problem is that the design of this passport card is uber-patriotic. If the genii from the State Department went with a clean minimalistic design instead of a gigantic US flag running through the person's photo, it may not have been mistaken for a military ID of any sort.
There's nothing wrong with being "uber-patriotic" or it there?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:33 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by roundrulers
Only if the über patriotic design looks like crap.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
The imagery of the flag and eagle are a security feature, I suppose.

What other image should be used to signify the US; a picture of a guy in white sneakers standing in line at an all-you-can-eat buffet?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by roundrulers
In this context, prefix über bears the same meaning as too much or overkill. I doubt you consider those English equivalents to have a positive meaning.

Originally Posted by N965VJ
What other image should be used to signify the US
A small US flag in the corner on an otherwise monotonous white background Or alternatively, a huge flag with minimum contrast. Just something that does not shout "in you face!" There are so many examples of clean designs of national identity cards on the internet, and not one of them features über-patriotic design.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
There are so many examples of clean designs of national identity cards on the internet, and not one of them features über-patriotic design.
I honestly don't care what my passport card design looks like, but I do not consider it a "national identity card".
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:57 pm

I've used my PP Card to check in at hotels all over SE Asia. Nary a word said. I use it at my bank (SE Asia) and for other purposes. It comes in handy quite a bit. Now if only TSA would get on the band wagon.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:38 am

I honestly don't care what my passport card design looks like, but I do not consider it a "national identity card".
It is issued by the national (federal) government, and apparently most of FTers use it for identification purposes, so there you have it. But we are not here to argue about terminology, are we?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:30 pm

that's what one TSA agent said to me as well.... she said "it's not a valid national ID card, but we choose to accept it because the card has your name and picture" (it's the word "choose" that I find very interesting)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.