Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Domestic pax not allowed to access Int'l Concourse in BWI?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

I'm now in BWI and just had some arguments with the TSA staff.
I sent an email to [email protected]. While waiting for their reply, I'd also like to know how you guys think?

Below is the email sent to TSA:
Dear TSA

I’m now in BWI Airport and had a very unpleasant experience with your staff in Concourse E at 4:10PM, today (May 16th).

I obtained my boarding passes from American Airlines in Concourse C, but tried to go into Concourse E to visit the Chesapeake Club, which is the only Club in BWI. I have done that in December, 2009 and again in March. My parents have also done that in August, 2009. We had never experienced any difficulty. However, today I was told by your staff in Concourse E that only international passengers are allowed to enter Concourse E. Since most airports do not even separate domestic and international departure areas, and going through securities does not involve going through customs, what he said really puzzled me. I then ask him if he could show me where this rule came from, since I have done that before and was never told so, but he refused to show me where the rule came from. He then told me that every airport is different, and that this is a BWI-specific rule. Finally, I asked for his name, but he again refused, which in my understanding should not be acceptable. I did see on his name tag something that might spells “Gruz.”

Please clarify if BWI has this specific rule prohibiting domestic passengers from accessing Concourse E, and whether or not your staffs are allowed to refuse showing their names and rules when a passenger asked for them.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely yours,
(My full name)
By the way, does anyone know how long it takes TSA to reply this kind of message. Their website says "prompt" but I don't know how quickly "prompt" is.

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I sent an email to [email protected]. While waiting for their reply, I'd also like to know how you guys think?

By the way, does anyone know how long it takes TSA to reply this kind of message. Their website says "prompt" but I don't know how quickly "prompt" is.

Thanks!
Prompt? Anywhere between tomorrow and 26 weeks depending on how serious they deem it to be (the more serious often gets put off longer in the hope that you will forget about it).

Send your complaint, questions and observations to:

* BWI Airport Contact
7062 Friendship Rd
Baltimore, MD 21240
United States
Phone: 4108597111
Email: [email protected]
Website for Baltimore Marshall Airport: http://www.bwiairport.com

Last edited by AngryMiller; May 16, 2010 at 3:50 pm Reason: added contact information
Old May 16, 2010, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
I would expect 1 or 2 business days. Did you ask for this persons supervisor?
Old May 16, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would expect 1 or 2 business days. Did you ask for this persons supervisor?
In addition, you'll probably get some BS response...
Old May 16, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
There is not easy answer to this. Almost every airport has difrerent layouts
as to what concessions are pre-security, or which ones are in different terminal areas and what access you have. The same applies to airline clubs too.
After 9-11, the hard rule was you must have a same-day to be screened to entered a secured area in a airport. You have a same day ticket but you want to entered a different terminal/concourse to visit a particular restaurant.
Some airports will let you, some won't. I can give you an example of something that happended today at CMH. The only airport Starbucks is on the A concourse. Someone with a ticket to a different concourse wanted to enter A to go to Starbucks and they let her get screened and go there. It was not very busy at the time so this may have helped.
Old May 16, 2010, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
There is not easy answer to this. Almost every airport has difrerent layouts
as to what concessions are pre-security, or which ones are in different terminal areas and what access you have. The same applies to airline clubs too.
After 9-11, the hard rule was you must have a same-day to be screened to entered a secured area in a airport. You have a same day ticket but you want to entered a different terminal/concourse to visit a particular restaurant.
Some airports will let you, some won't. I can give you an example of something that happended today at CMH. The only airport Starbucks is on the A concourse. Someone with a ticket to a different concourse wanted to enter A to go to Starbucks and they let her get screened and go there. It was not very busy at the time so this may have helped.
I tried to do this at MCO to visit the Outback Steakhouse near the F9 gates, although I was flying UA.. I was denied.. Some will, some won't. I guess it also depends on the TSO..
Old May 16, 2010, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Don't waste time with the TSA - and this should have been escalated on the spot by demanding a supervisor, and escalating above the supervisor if they refused as well.

Contact the Airport Director's Office yourself, clarify the AIRPORT policy (no one cares what the TSA policy is because they shouldn't have one on this issue), and if the Airport policy allows you to access that concourse, ask they instruct the FSD to make sure their screening staff are aware of this.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Don't waste time with the TSA - and this should have been escalated on the spot by demanding a supervisor, and escalating above the supervisor if they refused as well.

Contact the Airport Director's Office yourself, clarify the AIRPORT policy (no one cares what the TSA policy is because they shouldn't have one on this issue), and if the Airport policy allows you to access that concourse, ask they instruct the FSD to make sure their screening staff are aware of this.
It would be more effective to ask the AFSD-S. However, if anyone is in this situation, the first person you should contact should be the manager of the airline you are on. They would be able to provide you with a gate pass, or contact someone high enough at TSA to get you through.
Old May 17, 2010, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Thanks for all your responses.
Will email BWI and, if it happens again, will demand the supervisor.
Old May 17, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I tried to do this at MCO to visit the Outback Steakhouse near the F9 gates, although I was flying UA.. I was denied.. Some will, some won't. I guess it also depends on the TSO..
Wow; that quote sounds very similar to someone else who frequents these boards. The quote is accurate too; I got to the DL Sky Club at MCO with a UA boarding pass. The official TSA Travel document checker asked if I was going to meet someone at that airside, when I said, no, I was going to the Crown Room, she said, much like the bridge checker in Monty Python and The Holy Grail; "You may Paaaaassss"
Old May 17, 2010, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
...much like the bridge checker in Monty Python and The Holy Grail; "You may Paaaaassss"

Interesting...
Old May 17, 2010, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
You have a same day ticket but you want to entered a different terminal/concourse to visit a particular restaurant.
Some airports will let you, some won't.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It does all depend on the TSO. I was at BWI a few months ago with a friend who was leaving on WN from the A Concourse. I was departing on CO a few hours later from the C gates. The ticket-checker at the head of the A Concourse security line let me go through to have brunch with my friend because I was a same-day pax... warning me only that I'd have to come back landside and be re-screened to get to my flight. He was in a good mood and it was a nice day, though. It's totally their call.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
The official TSA Travel document checker asked if I was going to meet someone at that airside, when I said, no, I was going to the Crown Room, she said, much like the bridge checker in Monty Python and The Holy Grail; "You may Paaaaassss"
My response to the TSO's question would have been to suggest that it was none of her business what I was going to do. TSA's requirements are same-day ticket, and those were fulfilled. It's bad enough that they feel justified in checking ID and boarding pass to begin with.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Thanks!
That sounds like the typical BWI power trip.

Don't expect a response - ever. Not from TSA, not from the airport. BTDT.

My complaint was treatment going through the C concourse checkpoint - at that checkpoint, they ripped my bag (refused to let me tell them how to open it), the screener and the supe refused to provide the screeners name, and the supe refused to provide the name of the FSD or a complaint form.

Made it clear that TSA line personnel are "Gods".

I found the name of the FSD and the airport manager - wrote to both along with the TSA customer service.

No response was ever received from any of them.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
That sounds like the typical BWI power trip.

Don't expect a response - ever. Not from TSA, not from the airport. BTDT.

My complaint was treatment going through the C concourse checkpoint - at that checkpoint, they ripped my bag (refused to let me tell them how to open it), the screener and the supe refused to provide the screeners name, and the supe refused to provide the name of the FSD or a complaint form.

Made it clear that TSA line personnel are "Gods".

I found the name of the FSD and the airport manager - wrote to both along with the TSA customer service.

No response was ever received from any of them.
I think taking the airport and TSA to small claims court for the damage to the bag would have been enough to get their attention even if the case was dismissed - also once you filed suit, you could serve a subpoena at the airport demanding the name of the supervisor and screener (assuming you noted their badge numbers), then file a separate suit agains the screener for damaging your property.

Not sure what small claims costs there, but assuming it's about $50+serving costs, that would have been money well spent just to get their attention, force a response and make the screener wet their pants when the process server knocked on their door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.